BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

ddecat and exhaust

More
27 Sep 2017 21:05 #184593 by Roy
ddecat and exhaust was created by Roy
Hi
First question can I decat my 03 jimny and the 2nd issue can I remove the rear ex box and replsce with larger bore straight through pipe to help my jimny breathe better is this a can do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2017 21:11 #184594 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic ddecat and exhaust
You can do whatever you want mate! If you remove the CAT it will fail the MOT on emissions. Most Jimny's barely pass with one fitted. The backbox is an awkward shape to replicate but people have cut further back into the centre section and fitted cherry bombs or motorbike cans. It won't make it any quicker, but it will be louder and we associate noise with speed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roy

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Sep 2017 18:49 #184620 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic ddecat and exhaust
Hahaha at busta,s reply... ;)
From what ive read on here seems you can do whatever you like to the jimnys engine, but it still wont give any more power..
I like the jimny as its such a lovely quite engine, why would you want to make it louder when its a long way from being a throaty V8 ?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Sep 2017 04:04 #184626 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic ddecat and exhaust
It's not that at all. There are certain factions in jimnyland that can't see beyond a lift kit, gnarly tyres and an engine swap. Any other modifications are simply not valid whatever the motivation behind them.

As to the op crack on but don't expect to see any massive improvement in performance, its not like remapping a turbocharged engine, there are limits. But it is your car and if you want to roar around, do it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
29 Sep 2017 12:10 #184645 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic ddecat and exhaust
Not sure if your comment is aimed at me 11/60 but I hope not because I've never suggested anyone fit a lift kit and gnarly tyres. I would, however, suggest an engine swap to anyone that wants more power. In my experience it is the most cost effective way to achieve it, and one of the single biggest improvements you can make to a Jimny. I've run Jimny's with the cats bashed out and the backbox removed and they make zero difference to the performance. I'm all for people wanting their car to make a nice noise, but there is no performance benefit to removing the cat, and a few downsides which I feel it is important people are made aware of.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2017 12:49 #184647 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic ddecat and exhaust

11/60 wrote: It's not that at all. There are certain factions in jimnyland that can't see beyond a lift kit, gnarly tyres and an engine swap. Any other modifications are simply not valid whatever the motivation behind them.

As to the op crack on but don't expect to see any massive improvement in performance, its not like remapping a turbocharged engine, there are limits. But it is your car and if you want to roar around, do it.

Not sure I follow. Busta's right. It's pointless trying to get even the slightest more power by opening up the exhaust. It takes a lot more than just that. Intake, valves, hi-comp pistons, remapping etc.. A very costly way of getting more power compared to an engine swap.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Sep 2017 13:08 #184648 by Lambert
No not you. Don't worry. There are such people out there though and it is only prudent to advise that there's no right or wrong way to play with a Jimny. Personal freedom and all that.

• Iaitoo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2017 14:34 #184650 by Iaitoo
Replied by Iaitoo on topic ddecat and exhaust
Anyone ever tried the 1.6 TB swap? Ive read lots about it, but never seen anyone do it.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
29 Sep 2017 17:16 - 29 Sep 2017 17:17 #184655 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic ddecat and exhaust
I have a liana 1.6 throttle body on mine. It fits straight onto the vvt jimny manifold and made a bit of difference (but i do have a swift 1.6 vvt engine in there as well).

EDIT: forgot to say - you would probably need to fit the 1.6 injectors if swapping the TB

Exhaust i would say is purely for personal preference.

Kiethy made up a turbo onto his which works (but he has blown up one engine already), so i would say you need his god like level of tech knowledge to do that job.

I did the engine conversion myself (electrician), and had no big issues so thats got to be the best option for easy power :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 29 Sep 2017 17:17 by Riccy.

• Iaitoo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2017 18:02 #184656 by Iaitoo
Replied by Iaitoo on topic ddecat and exhaust

Riccy wrote: I have a liana 1.6 throttle body on mine. It fits straight onto the vvt jimny manifold and made a bit of difference (but i do have a swift 1.6 vvt engine in there as well).

EDIT: forgot to say - you would probably need to fit the 1.6 injectors if swapping the TB

Exhaust i would say is purely for personal preference.

Kiethy made up a turbo onto his which works (but he has blown up one engine already), so i would say you need his god like level of tech knowledge to do that job.

I did the engine conversion myself (electrician), and had no big issues so thats got to be the best option for easy power :-)

Might need injectors yes. But the threads I read about it didn't mention it. Apparently the g13bb intake is the same size as the g16b, but the TB is smaller. So 1.6TB is a straight swap on the 1.3, and will give more air.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Sep 2017 19:54 #184662 by Lambert
The point here is that you might find an odd one or two hp in the inlet tract and possibly another couple in the exhaust system and then maybe a few more in the ecu. The most suzuki find is 90 in another application, swift i think, but to get more means mining for them in the camshaft and the cylinder bores and pistons. All of which is possible and some is even cheap to achieve but it's subject to diminishing returns in terms of effort versus gains. But yeah if you try something and it gets a result then let us all know.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds