BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny for roof tent or small trailer

• Hutton1798
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2017 15:23 - 13 Aug 2017 15:24 #183374 by Hutton1798
Jimny for roof tent or small trailer was created by Hutton1798
Hi folks,

sorry if this is the wrong section!

Basically I am looking to buy a small relatively reliable 4x4 to be mainly used for camping and short spins. Has to be small engined for tax and insurance. A few people have suggested a jimny to me so I've come here for advice. I'd love to stick a roof tent on whatever vehicle I eventually go for, or else I could bolt the roof tent to a small car trailer (with some larger tires than normal for better clearance).

I've been a passenger in a Jimny on the road a few times and they seem fun little things but I suspect sticking a hundred lbs plus tent on the roof would either be impossible or asking for trouble.

So I was thinking of a small trailer like one of the following with carry bars that I can attach the roof tent to:
www.leronitrailers.ie/trailers/domestic-trailers/saragos.html
www.leronitrailers.ie/trailers/domestic-trailers/florence.html

Any advice on how the jimny would get on pulling a small trailer like that? (particularly off road)Am I right in thinking that sticking a tent on the roof is a non runner?

Also, in general, would the Jimny be up to being trashed around a little? (I'll be using it for wild camping mostly)

I was thinking a 2007 or newer model.

Any help at all would be appreciated!
Last edit: 13 Aug 2017 15:24 by Hutton1798.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cameronmike
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2017 15:34 #183375 by Cameronmike
Replied by Cameronmike on topic Jimny for roof tent or small trailer
Drove round the top of Scotland for a total of 1090 miles with a wee 3x4 camping trailer plus the car being fully loaded with 3 guys and loads of pot noodles and it handled totally fine, if not better with the extra weight on the back. Unbraked I think the Jimny is good for towing up to 350kg? The now I've got a 8x4 braked trailer that it tows about no bother but no really using it for massive loads or anything.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Aug 2017 20:25 - 13 Aug 2017 20:27 #183380 by Lambert
Things to be wary of with such a lightweight trailer and a mounted tent are centre of gravity and overall mass. As has been mentioned the hand book for a Jimny gives the unbraked tow limit as 350kg but in the UK at least the legal maximum as set out in the construction and use regs is half the mass of the tow vehicle. Now given that the hand book also gives the braked tow limit as 450kg unless local regulations differ yet the vin plate stipulates a maximum of 1300kg this all puts the unbraked tow limit into the grayest of areas. How this translates outside the UK i don't know but look it up because it has a bearing on how much you can ballast a little trailer like in the link to accommodate having a 50 plus kg weight so high up. Also of importance are the reduced speed limits when towing making journey times longer. Further more towing anything with a Jimny will have a detrimental effect on the fuel consumption. I know this is all very dull and quite negative but I have and do keep looking at the idea of a roof tent or mounted trailer tent and honestly in Europe the necessity of such a thing is debatable at best, which is why I have so far kept with the simple ground tent. Nothing wrong with top tents but they are a compromise in so many ways.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 13 Aug 2017 20:27 by Lambert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hutton1798

More
13 Aug 2017 21:34 #183381 by gilburton
Did the same trip with a 750kg caravan. No problems.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
13 Aug 2017 21:36 #183382 by gilburton

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hutton1798

• Hutton1798
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2017 22:29 #183383 by Hutton1798
Replied by Hutton1798 on topic Jimny for roof tent or small trailer
Thanks for the advice, yes it is debatable at best and if roof tent owners were honest there is no real necessity for one, particularly in Europe,.

However the convenience very much appeals! The camping I aim to do will be mainly around Ireland and will involve late in early out stops on what could often be private land. The speed of the roof, or in this case trailer attached, tent appeals. But I also plan to do some more regular camping too, so the speed, comfort and convenience is a plus.

I suppose I could just sleep in the car in the difficult places and set up a nice regular tent in the more secure ones I guess

I had not considered the ballast needed in the trailer and its resultant weight, very good point. I suppose I could strip the trailer down and almost attach the tent directly to the chassis of the trailer which would negate the need for ballast, but this is getting very elaborate and convoluted. I also have visions of destroying the little trailer when off road, beaching it etc and messing myself up on inclines.

Longer driving times, more fuel, I'll have to do some more thinking about this, or (gasp) look at something a bit bigger.

More
14 Aug 2017 16:58 #183396 by Keithy

gilburton wrote: Jimny caravan.jpg[/attachment]

Now that is a caravan! I love it!!

Just don't fancy the 60 MPH :-(

More
14 Aug 2017 18:13 #183400 by gilburton
yeah much nicer than a tent and you can stop on long journeys and brew up.
I have an awning which doubles the size of the caravan so we can eat/live in that and the caravan is for sleeping and cooking.
On that particular round the Northern coast trip it's mainly single track road so speed doesn't come in to it.More like 35/40 but the fuel economy was terrific.
It's surprising how far you can get at 60mph and it's kinder on the Jimny.
Only places you lose out are those long stretches of motorway with a slight incline otherwise it pulls ok.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Aug 2017 19:16 #183402 by Lambert
I love the nc500, have done it twice in both directions. I honestly don't think I could ever drive that road towing anything in fact the very thought makes a little bit of my soul die.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Aug 2017 21:57 #183451 by Busta
I'd say stick with a regular tent of go the whole hog and get a caravan. A roof tent is just awkward middle ground. There are plenty of tents that you can pitch in under 10 minutes, and a decent camp bed gives you the off-the-ground comfort. Once it's pitched you can drive off for an evening without having to pack it away again. When your not camping you put in it the cupboard and forget about it. I makes me laugh seeing people driving around with expensive roof tents attached to their 4x4s all winter, knowing they only use it a handful of nights in the summer.

I use a bivvy bag and tarp for solo trips or a 'big' 4 person tent for car tours with the girlfriend. Apart from the 'big' tent, all my kit for multiple nights away fits in a 35l backpack, so it doesn't matter if I'm travelling by car, motorcycle, bicycle or on foot. A roof tent for me would only work for about 1/4 of my nights away.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2017 06:22 #183455 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Jimny for roof tent or small trailer
I looked into a roof tent a few weeks ago and came to the same conclusion, trailer tent or something similar is a better bet as long as you have someware to keep it.

More
17 Aug 2017 08:48 #183457 by gilburton
Yep I've been through the whole thing from tents to trailer tent and campervan to caravan.
They all have pros as well as cons.
If you intend to move around a lot with very short stays a tent or trailer tent would be the thing.
A campervan is great in theory but everything has to be packed away if you want to go out for the day.
Tents can be cramped and damp and a noisy campsite with kids running around can be a nuisance if you want to sleep.
They can be quite nice with some decent equipment eg camp beds and an electric hookup.
If on a budget that is your easy option.
Trailer tents are great especially if you get one that erects in a few minutes. Only con is you are restricted to 50/60 mph if speed is your thing.
On some you can also have a bike rack.
A small caravan is that extra bit of comfort with the advantage of being somewhere warm and dry to come back to. Obviously that would be the most expensive option and as with the trailer tent you'll need somewhere to keep it.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds