BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Double-Din Radio Upgrade

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
24 Sep 2019 06:15 #213793 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
Hi Liam,

Good news on the engine :-)

That kenwood is exactly the same one I have in J999MNY. I needed to buy an adapter harness for it to fit as well as a windscreen stick on DAB aerial. The DAB isnt great when your on the move and needs retuned regularly.

Also there was some sort of power to the DAB aerial that needed turned on in the headunit settings, but wasnt obviously labelled.

The Kenwood unit is good. Comes with various wiring bits and fits in easily (though does have aforementioned gap around the edges). The display and button colour can be changed to match the red/white of the jimny at night too :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• invincible
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2019 13:39 #213813 by invincible
Replied by invincible on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
yeah quite chuffed on engine, did you swap exhausts it seems to have turned the can under the lambada sensor into a rattle,! plus woke up to a screw in flat tyre and handbrake knackered! jimny, not so yeey at moment.
cheers for info on radio, i,m with you on the touch screen thing, i didnt want one of those, can u rem where u got adapter wires for the back of it and did powering up
the antenna help any, cheers Liam.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
24 Sep 2019 16:36 #213821 by Riccy
The engine will be putting a bit more heat into the exhaust so your CAT will be the next victim. Check its not leaking from the manifold to cat join. The fumes come into the car when stationary, which isnt good :laugh:

The Kenwood and all the other bits came from Halford's. Bit under £200 all together I think, but that was nearly 2 years ago. I would imagine the harness adapter could be found easily by searching ebay/amazon/etc for 'ISO wiring adapter for Jimny'. The Kenwood uses the industry wide standard ISO plugs, so you just need a Jimny harness for that. Failing that Halfords website or caraudiodirect.co.uk are worth a try.

The stick on DAB aerial requires 'phantom power', which needs to be set to on or off in the Kenwoods menu. Default is off and like that you get nothing. On works pretty well for BBC stations and then its variable depending on where you are for anything else. I generally just plug the phone in (or bluetooth it) and use BBC sounds app or Apple music.

I ran the (supplied) microphone up the A pillar and headlining to put it on top of the rear view mirror. That works well for handsfree calling. Kenwood can connect to two phones at once, which is handy if your a drug dealer :laugh: :silly:

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

More
24 Sep 2019 17:12 #213822 by Max Headroom

Riccy wrote: Kenwood can connect to two phones at once, which is handy if your a drug dealer :laugh: :silly:

I almost choked on my tea from laughing at that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• invincible
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2019 13:07 #213930 by invincible
Replied by invincible on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
cheers riccy, i,ll look into a iso connector, did u run dab wire down the door pillar? i,m thinking the plastic should just pull off? good news on the cat converter
it looks like its under warranty so i can get a free replacement wow lifes looking up
the mrs may take me back next!!!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
27 Sep 2019 17:35 #213933 by Riccy
Good news on the cat there then!

Dab aerial yes just pull the plastic trim off the side of the windscreen inside. Its got two plastic tongues that go into the A pillar to locate and hold it there.

The DAB aerial has a sticky bit that has to be stuck onto metal bodywork as well as the aerial itself to the glass so it has to go right by the edge or top to do that. If you need to pop the roof lining down a bit then unscrew the sunvisors and mirror to get a bit of access to top mount it.

This is the one I use... www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/st...-antenna-smb-dab-aa1

• Randyhew
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2019 21:20 #216304 by Randyhew
Replied by Randyhew on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
@Daniel30 are you happy with your Sony? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off topic. I'm looking for a good reliable head unit for my car. I've been looking at reviews and they are all hype. So I'm kinda undecided.

I've been looking at the Sony XAV-AX5000. Found this site about the top
receivers
and got me more on the fence. Is it true that the background colors can't be changed to match my dash? And what about the slow boot time is it that bad?

Any tips are welcomed.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Dec 2019 05:30 #216309 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
I have a single din mex gs 820 from Sony and it is really good and I know of a couple of other people who have some of their double din units and they also think they are good.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2019 17:29 - 09 Dec 2019 17:31 #216322 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade

Randyhew wrote: @Daniel30 are you happy with your Sony? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off topic. I'm looking for a good reliable head unit for my car. I've been looking at reviews and they are all hype. So I'm kinda undecided.

I've been looking at the Sony XAV-AX5000. Found this site about the top
receivers
and got me more on the fence. Is it true that the background colors can't be changed to match my dash? And what about the slow boot time is it that bad?

Any tips are welcomed.

Yes it was a good unit, but I have got this one now because I wanted android auto :) and yes you can change the colour there is a lot of colour options

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Dec 2019 17:31 by Daniel30. Reason: Pic

More
  • 5Phil3
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2021 16:16 - 18 Aug 2021 12:05 #237665 by 5Phil3
Replied by 5Phil3 on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
Just noticed the link above ^

Very useful stuff. Single DIN smart unit it is
Last edit: 18 Aug 2021 12:05 by 5Phil3. Reason: Noticed link

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds