BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

ABS sensors

• larnach
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2017 17:05 #181574 by larnach
ABS sensors was created by larnach
I have now completed all the welding and front end rework on my VVT 2006
The ABS light come on, went off, then came on and stayed on during the road test and now is on all the time
The plastic collars surrounding the sensors at the hub were not to hot when I reinstalled them e.g. in two half's, nevertheless I managed to fiddle them in and bolted in place
how do I check the system to see what I need to do ? and what could be the issues ?
any help would be appreciated
I have never come across vacuum operated sensors before ????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2017 18:30 #181576 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic ABS sensors
Not sure what you mean by vacuum operated sensors, the vaccum system has nothing to do with the ABS

You can get error codes from the ABS system by grounding the diagnostic pin on the monitor connector.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Justin83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2017 06:14 #181587 by Justin83
Replied by Justin83 on topic ABS sensors
They are normal sensors, on my 06 plate there is alot of movement in the hole the sensor slides into, it's easy for the metal pick up to hit the teeth on the abs wheel and break them if not fitted correctly.
You can see clearly if you pop the disc off.
If they arnt damaged I fixed mine by cleaning Them up and smearing instant gasket everywhere that water could get in, around the wire, base of the pin ect.
Another option is splicing in rear Suzuki Liana sensors, I'm 90% sure these will work but I fitted mine wonky and it hit the abs wheel, you have to Stanley knife a bit of plastic off to slide them in. I did this and my light went off, I then drove and smashed the sensor as it wasn't aligned... Considering Liana ones are £25 and jimny are £220 it's a worthy option!
If it hadn't broken I'm sure it would work, although that prompted me to fix my original with the instant gasket method.
Been good for months now.
Good luck.

• Justin83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2017 06:17 #181588 by Justin83
Not sure what you mean by installing them in two halfs tho?

• larnach
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2017 09:14 #181593 by larnach
Replied by larnach on topic ABS sensors
Thanks Martin, well ignorance is not necessarily a great defence, however I I may have gone cross eyed looking at the spaghetti over the hub, the "wire " to the sensor just looked like a pipe but on thinking about it, it is a magnet so has to have wire in it .
I will be taking out the sensors and at leased cleaning them again, the plastic collars surrounding and effectively isolating and centring the sensor body from the metal hubs are broken in halfs, I inserted them thinking it would be ok, which at this time I don't know if it was successful or not.
Are the plastic collars available from parts lists ? or is there an aulternitive ? and can you help me further with your comment of grounding the "diagnostic pin" where is that ?
By the way, no more wobble after installing the shim kit, now drive great!

• larnach
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2017 09:26 #181595 by larnach
Replied by larnach on topic ABS sensors
Really appreciate your input Justin all your info is great stuff, thanks for taking the time.

I had the sensors out when I rebuilt the kingpins and worked on the wobble, then found mega rust so been grinding and welding for a couple of months replacing inner sills and installing a new boot floor, therefore the magnetic head may have picked up loads of fillings so I will be pulling them back off.
The standard sensor fitment has a black plastic collar sleeve-ing the sensor body in the hub, when I originally removed the "stuck" sensors, the sleeves cracked in half, I have reinstalled with the sensors but not sure if its good enough

More
28 May 2017 17:27 #181611 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic ABS sensors
The plastic bits are not available separately, but the whole ABS assembly is £105 in the store at the moment (non-Suzuki)

I have never had to do the code detection on an ABS Jimny but the manual describes the connector as E70-BLUE

And the diagnostic mode is achieved by linking across the terminals as shown, the ABS light then flashes a code to you

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:

• Justin83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2017 06:46 #181620 by Justin83
Yep the plug is against the firewall in the position shown on mlines first pic, mine was a bit more to the right, it's a right pita to get to mind!

• larnach
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2017 18:08 #181640 by larnach
Replied by larnach on topic ABS sensors sucess
Thanks Martin and Justin
Just to let you know, and thanks again for the help!
I removed the disks today, knocked off the rust from the stator ring, lightly filed the outer to get fresh steel material, cleaned up the ABS prob's coated with ACF to ensure rust free in future, disconnected the battery for 20 mins to wipe the ECU previous codes, put it all back together and all is well
lights out !!
best regards
Alan

• Justin83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2017 19:04 #181642 by Justin83
Replied by Justin83 on topic ABS sensors sucess
Good to hear.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds