BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

headlining removal

• philpridd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2017 09:38 #177461 by philpridd
headlining removal was created by philpridd
hello all,I would like to fit a permanent cb aerial mount to the roof of my 2008 Jimny,anyone know how to remove the headlining? Thanks,Phil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2017 09:48 #177462 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic headlining removal
hi the lining will have a small amount of glue running down the centre in a wavy line
so be patient when pulling it down ;)

Jack

• philpridd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2017 10:31 #177463 by philpridd
Replied by philpridd on topic headlining removal
thanks Jack,will get to it sometime this week.

More
29 Jan 2017 11:13 #177465 by facade
Replied by facade on topic headlining removal
If you are gluing it back, you must use a high temperature/heat proof adhesive, or it will drop down as soon as the sun shines on the roof. :pinch:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: philpridd

More
29 Jan 2017 11:14 #177466 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic headlining removal

jackonlyjack wrote: hi the lining will have a small amount of glue running down the centre in a wavy line
so be patient when pulling it down ;)

Jack

Be a little more patient than we were taking it down from the Black-Jack Jimny? :D

It at least gave me a peep at how mine is held on matey! :beer:

Removing the roof lining and refitting without creasing it.....has to be trickier than a full gearbox strip and rebuild!

Whereabouts is the aerial to be situated Phil?

• philpridd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2017 11:38 #177471 by philpridd
thanks again Jack,l really want the aerial in the centre of the roof,it came with a magnetic mount,but I would prefer a permanent mount,with a quick release fitting,so I can just remove the aerial,without disturbing the lead to the c.b.,though if its too much of a job,I may stay with the magnetic mount,Thanks Phil.

• philpridd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2017 11:41 #177472 by philpridd
sorry,I should have said thanks Keithy,got you mixed up with Jack.

More
29 Jan 2017 12:09 #177473 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic headlining removal

philpridd wrote: thanks again Jack,l really want the aerial in the centre of the roof,it came with a magnetic mount,but I would prefer a permanent mount,with a quick release fitting,so I can just remove the aerial,without disturbing the lead to the c.b.,though if its too much of a job,I may stay with the magnetic mount,Thanks Phil.

stick with your first plan drill the roof
(as that's what you desire and the look you want)
when it comes to personalising no job is too much ;)
stick at it then you will be happy

Jack

More
27 Jan 2019 12:18 #201837 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic headlining removal
I was considering removing the headlining (the interior roof trim) for the purpose of installing additional vibration damping and sound insulation materials.

However, if the risk of creasing the roof trim panel is that high, I would not risk it.
Does anyone know of a proper method on how to properly remove it? On how many places is the trim glued to the roof?
After removing all side trim from the vehicle cabin, is that glue the only thing which holds the trim to the roof?

For those who have seen the roof from the inside after they removed the head liner - is there anything between the head liner and the plain steel roof sheet? I mean any sound insulation material?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
27 Jan 2019 13:24 #201840 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic headlining removal
Its not that hard to remove without damage, just take a bit more time and be careful.

Theres the side plastics and grab handles holding it up as well as some plastic clips here and there.

The glue is like a squiggle on the front and back flatter sections. There is nothing else in there apart from the glue. I put some sticky backed foam insulation in there (designed for wooden floors), which works a treat and was pretty cheap. Found there was no need to glue it back in place either.

The Dynamat type stuff is no doubt better.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
09 Feb 2019 06:25 #202849 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic headlining removal
Thank you for the info.

Was there any original insulation between the headlining trim and the roof metal panels when you removed it?

What is (approximately) the maximum thickness of insulation padding which could fit in between without obstructing normal placement of the head lining trim back into its position?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
09 Feb 2019 06:51 #202850 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic headlining removal
There was no insulation in there apart from the headlining itself. There is plenty of space, maybe a 5mm thick product would fit easily enough in between and not cause any issues.

I used the space to fit a switch pod thing onto the roof for the lockers, lights, etc. plenty of space for the wiring to run down an A pillar and all not be seen or affect the shape of the headlining.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds