BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Swift 1.6vvt engine into a 2007 vvt jimny project

More
06 Apr 2017 20:30 #179989 by Rhinoman

Riccy wrote:

Rhinoman wrote: My 2010 swift engine came with the original swift airbox, which sits ontop of the engine, and is smaller than the jimny one?

That adds a little more intrigue.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Apr 2017 17:49 #180037 by Riccy

Rhinoman wrote:

Riccy wrote:

Rhinoman wrote: My 2010 swift engine came with the original swift airbox, which sits ontop of the engine, and is smaller than the jimny one?

That adds a little more intrigue.

heres a pic of the swift engine before stripping it down (airbox on the top)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

More
07 Apr 2017 20:41 #180047 by Keithy
Might fit if you had a bonnet scoop Riccy! :D

Could you measure the dimensions of the filter Riccy and post it here?

It'll be interesting to see the area difference between Jimny M13A and Swift M16A sport....

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
08 Apr 2017 06:29 #180054 by Riccy
sadly its binned now so i cant measure it for you,

from memory it was wider but not as long as the jimny (which is a square design). search for suzuki swift 1.6 air filer and it looks like the same one is used on the 1.6 lump, no matter which vehicle its in (and in some cases for 1.3 & 1.5 engines as well)

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Jjbradshaw1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2018 14:51 #193740 by Jjbradshaw1
Replied by Jjbradshaw1 on topic Swift 1.6vvt engine into a 2007 vvt jimny project
Hi Riccy,

Great post! After having this conversion done for a while, How is it, does the 1.3 Jimny ECU cope with running the 1.6 without leaning out? Any other issues?

I've just purchased a swift sport bare engine & injectors myself and plan on doing the same thing to my M13a VVT. So any advice before getting started would be much appreciated. I'm assuming the swift inlet manifold and exhaust manifolds can't be used anyway, but is there anything else off the swift you'd recommend using? You mentioned a Liana TB, did you end up using that in the end, I know Keith talked about using a Liana TB and then grinding out the inlet from the Jimny.

Cheers
James

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
22 Jun 2018 18:05 #193745 by Riccy
Welcome to the 1.6 club! Is that Gilburton's engine by any chance? I was tempted by that for my trayback project :-)

The 1.6 has been in mine for a year and half now. No issues to report with it. The ECU handles the engine just fine, no pinking or timing issues at all. Fuel consumption is horrendous, but thats a combination of 31" tyres and my heavy foot! In a standard Jim it would be fairly similar i think.

The only issue is with the throttle body and cold starting. If its really cold i need to hold the revs a little on startup manually for a few seconds (throttle pedal). Not really an issue if you know about it.

My donor engine came from a 2010 crashed swift, some people have had issues with newer engines than this having different trigger wheels for the VVT, i was lucky and happened to pick the correct one by accident!

Regarding the swap; you need to swap basically everything from the 1.3 onto the 1.6, from the oil pan and pickup to the rocker cover. Only bits you keep are the block & head complete and the injectors (green for 1.6, yellow for 1.3 i think).

The liana 1.6 throttle body was because the swift one was drive-by-wire and i couldn't be bothered changing the throttle pedal. It is a slightly larger bore and came from a 2004 liana, which still uses a throttle cable. straight bolt on job and did help, though it may have caused the cold idle issue above.

worth buying in addition to the essentials:

new crank pulley (known to delaminate)
New spark plugs (oil filter, etc essential)
Underseal paint (buzzweld RCP/CIO preferably). This is to paint the rusty crap you cant normally see/get at when the engine is in the way.
belt tensioner bearing (again, common failure)

Martin (bigjimny shop) is your man for them parts, paint is buzzweld.co.uk ;-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jjbradshaw1

• Jjbradshaw1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2018 18:21 #193747 by Jjbradshaw1
Replied by Jjbradshaw1 on topic Swift 1.6vvt engine into a 2007 vvt jimny project
It is indeed Gilburton's, a friend of mine is picking it up on Tuesday so i'll let you know how we get on! Thanks for the advice :)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
22 Jun 2018 18:26 #193748 by Riccy
Forgot to say,

take loads of photo's as you go, and of the 1.3 complete from all angles before taking apart. makes it easier to put back together ;-)

Have plenty of space to do the job. engine hoist & basic tools is all you need but its easier if you can spread out a bit. took me a full weekend, plus a couple of evenings to get it running and all back together. Has passed an MOT since with no problems, but is still on standard exhaust and manifolds.

• Jjbradshaw1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2018 19:03 #193752 by Jjbradshaw1
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWill do, we will be doing it over a weekend in a work shop so should hopefully be OK for space and since the 1.6 is bare that should save us some time.

Speaking of manifolds and exhaust, I've not had a good look but is it not possible to get a swift sport 4-2-1 like the below finagled in there somehow?

• Jjbradshaw1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2018 19:05 #193753 by Jjbradshaw1
Link didnt work but its just a "stainless decat exhaust manifold for suzuki swift" on ebay, £129.99

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
23 Jun 2018 07:33 #193759 by Riccy
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationAll the swift ones exit and go under the engine, jimny being an inline engine needs it to exit and run parallel with the engine.

I guess maybe if you could tig weld stainless it might be possible to turn it around, but i suspect it drops too low to be any use (would hit the front axle/steering bars).

This is the australian one Jack has i think:

that was designed for an M13 and when i enquired they were a bit sketchy about suitability for the M16. as the M13 fits, i reason it cant be any worse!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
23 Jun 2018 07:35 #193760 by Riccy
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHeres another idea for you:

again, for a swift so really its upside down, so could be tricky to fit. Would need a bonnet bulge for sure!

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds