BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2inch lift kit handling

• StayBlue
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Nov 2016 21:40 #174687 by StayBlue
2inch lift kit handling was created by StayBlue
Hi, biting the bullet and buying a 2inch lift kit in a month or so. Iv done a lot of reading about which kit is best etc but see mixed reviews on how people's jimnys handle once fitted. read some saying the 2inch lift makes it feel like driving a go cart with no bumps, others saying you get speed wobble. The Jimny is my daily and I commute on the motorway 40 mile round trip three times a week. Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ninjaferret
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Nov 2016 22:03 #174689 by ninjaferret
Replied by ninjaferret on topic 2inch lift kit handling
Yep all of the above, I have a two inch lift spacers, 16'' wheels wider tyres and damper and still the wobble and go cart effect

More
16 Nov 2016 23:56 #174692 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic 2inch lift kit handling
None of the above.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2016 07:20 #174694 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic 2inch lift kit handling
Mine handels better on road than it was stock. It was still on the original dampers/springs so maybe they were a little tired. :)
People knock the pro-comp set up for being to stiff but I like it and it suites my driving style. You can push it into corners with very
little body roll and at high speed it goes exactly were I point it with not even a hint of wobble. B) I still have the ARB attached so
that probly helps a little with the road handling. Never had a problem offroad even in competition conditions. ;)

More
19 Nov 2016 17:45 #174733 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 2inch lift kit handling
Depends entirely on what lift kit you buy! Why do you want to lift it? If it's for looks or tyre clearance go for a body lift. That way your handling and steering geometry will be largely unaffected. If you want better off-road ability and good handling go for a Trial-master Sport kit and castor correction.

• NickR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2016 07:27 #174743 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic 2inch lift kit handling
Does anyone have any experience of the difference between the Trailmaster Sport and Comfort setups? From other threads, I was pretty much decided on buying the Comfort setup ( as I don't expect it to handle like a sports car in corners, and I like my comfort), but I just did 200+ miles on rush hour M40/M25 motorway on my standard (9 year old) suspension, and side winds and trucks definitely make for hairy moments at 70mph+!! New springs and shocks of any sort will probably make a big improvement anyway (and any worn bushes I find on the way), but wondering if "Sport" in this context is the right word! Motorways will be rare for me, but I would like the option, and I plan to get stuck off-road, which is the reason for the lift in the first place. ARB will be staying on.

More
20 Nov 2016 09:05 #174744 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 2inch lift kit handling
Jimnys will always be crap in high winds and high speeds. They are tall and light with a short wheel base and a steering box rather than rack and pinion.

I have no experience with Trialmaster, but I doubt the difference between sport and comfort will make much difference in those sort of situations because the problem is more than just the shock absorbers. Driving down a bumpy track I'm sure the difference would be more obvious.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
21 Nov 2016 18:59 #174777 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic 2inch lift kit handling
I went for the trailmaster 2" comfort and like it. i did polybushes at the same time so find it firm but controlled. much better at side winds and no noticeable effect on fuel. i too went from 9yr old standard suspension. not sure how much impact is down to the kit or the bushes but they work well together. added a 2" bodylift afterwards which also improved the comfort surprisingly! Martin is the man for sorting out the kit and bushes (bigjimny shop).

its still scary on motorways at anything over 70 however (much happier in the wagon/radio 2 lane). It was never built for speed so thats what you get with a jimny. if your doing a lot of motorway miles then a normal car would be more suitable. MPG is also horrendous - if i sit at 80 (or try to) it will suck a full tank in 80 miles. if i sit at 60-65 i can go 250 miles easily.

You make me glad i live where i do and dont need to go anywhere near the M25 :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• NickR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Nov 2016 07:23 #174863 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic 2inch lift kit handling
Thanks for the replies, guys! 2" Trailmaster Comfort is back on the Christmas list :) I can live with the road manners, for the improvement off-road.

Motorway was an exception! I live in the Midlands, and only headed down to the big city for the Autocar shoot that they posted on here recently! So, I had to use the Jimny! Normally, I would take my Skoda which is very happy at motorway speeds. Perhaps I was hoping for a bit much at 70mph+, mainly because the car is still on sale in pretty much the same form, so thought it might not be too compromised! I didn't even look at fuel usage!!

It may get some longer runs when we finally get organised enough to go searching for off-roading in the Peaks or similar, but I know what to expect now :)

Nick

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds