BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Winch size

• hunter1084
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2016 05:09 #171501 by hunter1084
Winch size was created by hunter1084
What size winch are people running on there Jimnys? I'm looking at a 9500lb is that an appropriate size or an overmillion?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2016 08:17 #171507 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Winch size
6000lbs is ok for most things but the 9500lbs will be under less stress so probably more reliable.
Its always better to go a bit bigger. As a guide most LR's use 9500lbs and they are twice the weight
of a Jimny.

• hunter1084
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2016 20:35 #171543 by hunter1084
Replied by hunter1084 on topic Winch size

1066Boy wrote: 6000lbs is ok for most things but the 9500lbs will be under less stress so probably more reliable.
Its always better to go a bit bigger. As a guide most LR's use 9500lbs and they are twice the weight
of a Jimny.

Thanks for that I'll look into a few 9500lbs, I've heard of a few people putting large ATV winches on Suzukis but they seem abit light to me.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2016 06:32 #171554 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Winch size
I have used a small 2000lbs portable winch. If was ok for giving you a hand out of ruts etc
but not man enough for proper recovery. More like a couple of mates giving you a push.

More
25 Aug 2016 01:25 #171660 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Winch size
9500lb is perfect in my experience, having one on mine and used it extensively off road and pulled it up near vertical inclines with cross axle situations during the pull!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• davert85
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2016 23:44 #171876 by davert85
Replied by davert85 on topic Winch size
Hi mate, Iv had two winches on two different jimnys, both rated to 9500lb and found them spot on. I knew it was an overkill for me but has come in handy when recovering other, larger 4x4s. Plus as mentioned before, it's less strain when pulling yourself out as its 'easier' for the winch.
Hope this helps

• Henri
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2016 18:48 - 31 Aug 2016 18:51 #171895 by Henri
Replied by Henri on topic Winch size
I haven the Warrior winch s8000 Samurai 8000Lbs; Very satisfied :)

Last edit: 31 Aug 2016 18:51 by Henri.

• rexthecat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2016 15:17 #171928 by rexthecat
Replied by rexthecat on topic Winch size
Ive got a Warrior 8000 too.............never used it! Still you kinda need one for the day you do.

• Motobandit69
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2018 05:23 #196196 by Motobandit69
Replied by Motobandit69 on topic Winch size
Hi Henri

That samurai 8000 lb winch looks great .

How have you set that winch up to your car? Just with a winch bracket? I went to ARB and got some bs saying I needed a full bull bar to have the winch set up..
Researching i see you can just get a winch plate?

Keen to understand how you have set it up as it looks tidy.
Just bought a 2011 Jimny with 50000 km on it and wanting to put roof racks, light weight hard shell roof top tent, winch, at tyres on it....
I've been looking at the 5000 and 6000 lb winches.. less weight and less cost... At 1300 kg (with me dogs and luggage) a 6000 lb winch should still be able to get me out of pretty much anything imho?

Keen to hear how you have set it up because I'm not keen for a bullbar on such a small 4x4

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
22 Sep 2018 17:31 #196207 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Winch size

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
24 Sep 2018 06:53 #196234 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Winch size
Depends on your intended use. I've just bought a 4,500lb winch from another member on here. I haven't had a chance to test it properly, but it pulled the Jimny with all 4 wheels locked no problem at all. I'm sure it will do what I need in terms of self recovery, recovering my trailer when it gets stuck and for moving heavy things. It's tow ball mounted, fits in a small bag and I have jump cable clamps on the end of the leads so it can be used on any vehicle with a tow bar. That to me is more useful than one permanently attached to the front, but I'm usually working alone and don't do any pay and plays so my requirements are different to others. It will see lots of use so I'll have a better idea of its usefulness in time.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds