BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

First trip out

• Terminator
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2016 17:00 - 31 May 2016 17:01 #167777 by Terminator
First trip out was created by Terminator
We did our first green lane outing yesterday, for a standard Jimmy ,it did very well,we only got stuck twice.Just got some new tyres and suspension today,so that will be going on very soon.
Last edit: 31 May 2016 17:01 by Terminator. Reason: spelling mistake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2016 17:01 #167779 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic First tip out
Good stuff :) don't forget the pics when your done ;)

• Terminator
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2016 17:17 #167780 by Terminator
Replied by Terminator on topic First tip out
I thought I'd added some pics,but they didn't show.I was very surprised how well the Jimmy did, it bottomed out onto the towbar of all thing. We also need to put spacers on to widen the track as well

More
31 May 2016 17:57 #167782 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic First trip out
If you are driving in ruts, spacers will make it more likely to get stuck in the ruts and harder to steer out and straddle the ruts!

• Terminator
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2016 19:30 #167791 by Terminator
Replied by Terminator on topic First trip out
The problem we had was that the ruts have been formed mainly by landrovers and the width of the Jimny is so much narrower and tended to rub hard on the inner edge of the tyres ,having spacers fitted will make the track width similar to the landy width.

• Terminator
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2016 16:10 #167826 by Terminator
As I mentioned above,what do you guys think about fitting spacers to widen the track. We did seem to be rubbing on the inner face of the tyres and ruts.

More
01 Jun 2016 20:58 #167835 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic First trip out
Not a fan of spacers and bodging in general.

-30 offset wheels with 215/225's tougher sidewalls on the tyres?.....Most of the vehicles in the club I'm a member of are Landrovers.....I tend to have one wheel in one wheel out mostly.

More
01 Jun 2016 21:55 #167839 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic First trip out
The trouble with driving in ruts made by bigger vehicles is eventually the ruts get too deep for a Jimny and you get stuck. The solution to being able to drive in landrover ruts is a never ending cycle of bigger tyres, more lift and lower gearing. Without spacers and with decent tyres, that sidewall grip will help you climb out of the rut one side at a time and then you can choose a different route. With spacers, both sides are trying to climb out at the same time and it's twice as hard to get out of the ruts. They also cause the tyres to rub on the arches if you have larger than standard tyres. And they increase bearing wear.

That's from my experience. If the ruts are shallow you are ok, but if yours is the lowest vehicle in the club you will end up dragging your guts everywhere unless you can get out of the ruts!

More
04 Jun 2016 03:28 #167927 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic First trip out
I would not try to get the same track as a Land Rover as it is a bit more than 60mm!

Suzukis run with one wheel out of the ruts created by Land Rovers and this helps you to not get stuck as with both wheels in the ruts you'll bottom out more often and as has been said above, you'll have a never ending pursuit of trying to match bigger tyres to the ruts.

This ends with a well sorted Jimny with a Rocklobster to reduce gearing to cope with the bigger tyres but lots of money spent.

If I was building a greenlaner for not too extreme lanes, so not The Lakes or the trickier ones Wales and Derbyshire have to offer, I would stick with just a 2" lift and 215 / 75 / 15 tyres and a winch.

On the other end of the scale is the ultimate greenlaner such as Dave of Bits4Vits fame's car. A lot of cash has been invested in that though. You need to plan your project as if you'll not be satisfied with my suggested mods and will want to go all out, you'll be better off going for a 3" or 4" lift now and ordering the Rocklobster now too!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• Terminator
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jun 2016 08:10 #167936 by Terminator
We are fitting the 2" lift kit today and have a set of 215-75-15 mud tyres to go on, just doing a basic service oil change brakes as well.The lanes we went down were not as extreme as some,we grounded out on the tow bar ,so that's coming off.we don't want to spend a fortune,its only for a bit of weekend fun.

More
04 Jun 2016 13:34 #167954 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic First trip out

kirkynut wrote: I would not try to get the same track as a Land Rover as it is a bit more than 60mm!

Suzukis run with one wheel out of the ruts created by Land Rovers and this helps you to not get stuck as with both wheels in the ruts you'll bottom out more often and as has been said above, you'll have a never ending pursuit of trying to match bigger tyres to the ruts.

This ends with a well sorted Jimny with a Rocklobster to reduce gearing to cope with the bigger tyres but lots of money spent.

If I was building a greenlaner for not too extreme lanes, so not The Lakes or the trickier ones Wales and Derbyshire have to offer, I would stick with just a 2" lift and 215 / 75 / 15 tyres and a winch.

On the other end of the scale is the ultimate greenlaner such as Dave of Bits4Vits fame's car. A lot of cash has been invested in that though. You need to plan your project as if you'll not be satisfied with my suggested mods and will want to go all out, you'll be better off going for a 3" or 4" lift now and ordering the Rocklobster now too!

Kirkynut

Thank You Kirkynut, but even mine gets stuck now and again ;)

Interesting, as my new build has a simple 2" lift of new front springs on the back and new frint springs on the front with a pair of spring spacers combined with Monroe Adventure shocks - stanard length on the back with bottom shock spacers / repositioners, and GV rears on the front... a 1" bodylift and 235/75/15 tyres... standard radius arms, KAP adjustable panhards, and a Redacted rocklobster on the way... keep it Simple and light this time ;)

• Terminator
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2016 21:00 #168222 by Terminator
Is there such thing as greenlaning etiquette ?is one wheel in a track and one out ,straddling the tracks,Rather than getting stuck.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds