BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Made in China

• zukebob
  • zukebob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
12 Mar 2016 03:08 - 12 Mar 2016 03:56 #163636 by zukebob
Made in China was created by zukebob
Most of the posts I have seen mentioning items made in China receive comments that are at least subtly critical of quality. I would like to hear comments from people who have first-hand experience with some of these products. If there are problems, it would be nice to get the specifics rather than vague opinions. Likewise, if there is positive feedback, it would be nice to eliminate some of the “Made in China” rumors.

Head Units?
Bumpers?
Racks?
Exhaust Systems?
Air Lockers?
Others?

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 12 Mar 2016 03:56 by zukebob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Mar 2016 06:55 #163638 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Made in China
Made in China is not the curse of death if you are looking at a known branded product at a reasonable price. The problem comes with buying a similar product at a greatly reduced price. This is because there are the perfect items coming from the brand then there are the same items from the same factory but without the brand name and then there are the copies that look exactly the same but are made in a different factory using much cheaper materials. Then you have the copies of the copies, all the time getting cheaper and cheaper, oh and that's before the dodgy copies that are identical to the proper brand items to look at but are just a bit too good to be true.

Ultimately it's a matter of being diligent in the research of a prospective purchase and being aware that you get what you pay for and if you have that gut feeling that something is wrong then walk away. Made in China is not an inherent problem. Buy cheap buy twice and all that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
12 Mar 2016 07:33 #163640 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Made in China
As just said, it is more a case of looking at the price point and quality and making a judgement thats best for you.

For exampe, Apple and Hewlett Packard (my employer) hardware is mainly made in China and you would probably not think twice about buying them (hopefully!)

At the other end of the scale we once bought a CV boot for my daughters BMW from Eurocarcrap which was about £10 compared to somthing closer to £100 for the real part. The boot turned out to be a piece of rubber tube and two clips, not even moulded into any form of shape.

I bought a rubber flexi exhaust tube for my boat a couple of years ago. This one looked to be excellent quality, a detailed moulding which was nicely finished and packaged. However it was made of the wrong grade of rubber, it was too stiff. It took about two days of my time to fit it and immediately pulled off the tube because it would not flex. Bought the real thing which looked identical but was a softer grade of rubber, it fitted straight on and is still in place two years later,

So always look around and ask yourself if it is worth it for you.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Mar 2016 07:35 #163641 by Lambert
As an example, my avm hubs from jimnybits, they are from China and at the time were 125 quid, I could have gone for the same ones but without the avm stickers and saved about 40 quid and they were from the same factory and the same suppliers or at the same time on alibaba were some hubs at 40 quid plus shipping that in the picture looked close enough to identical. Who do you trust? Well obviously it's got to come from the supplier in the UK then you ain't waiting 6 months for the boat to arrive and get through customs. Then it's a matter of who's reputation do you rely on, just the supplier who is of good standing or the supplier and the manufacturers jointly? Yes jimnybits will not knowingly provide substandard items but by paying 40 quid for a couple of stickers I also have the assurance that the manufacturer is reasonably satisfied that the items have met the quality control of the brand and so my risk is reduced and my confidence to place further orders with the supplier is increased.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2016 09:08 - 12 Mar 2016 09:09 #163643 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Made in China
There is also the risk of the item being damaged in transit or the wrong item sent, then you have the trouble of sending it back and trying to get the shipping cost refunded etc
Last edit: 12 Mar 2016 09:09 by Daniel30.

• Camouflage
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2016 09:18 - 12 Mar 2016 09:19 #163646 by Camouflage
Replied by Camouflage on topic Made in China
Slightly at a tangent, but I have a load of Chinese amateur radio gear. Sure, it ain't Yaesu quality, but it does exactly what its supposed to at a price that's hard to believe. I'm old enough to remember when Japanese products were scoffed at, but no one's laughing now.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2016 09:19 by Camouflage. Reason: typo

More
12 Mar 2016 11:46 #163649 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Made in China
I haven't had any problems with the stuff that I've bought from China, shipping times are usually quite good as well. If you buy counterfeit parts for a 10th of the price of the 'real' stuff then you can expect trouble, I've had a couple of Chinese Tech 2 scantool clones come by me, one had caught fire and the other had a bad display.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2016 11:52 #163650 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Made in China
AVM hubs are made in Brazil, they have been made there for years and have been an OEM supplier to many 4x4's over the years

just google AVM brazil

if you see AVM hubs for sale in china and come from china then they will be counterfeit

you also get what you pay for in china also

you can buy the Iphone for £500 + that works well and everybody loves

you can but the eyephone for about £70 which is crap, but they look the same

with the china airlockers, they dont seem to be used much here in the UK, but they are all over the Australia markets, and i believe some people have done 10 of thousands of miles and they have been fine

so yes you can get crap from china but also you can get good stuff too

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Mar 2016 18:39 #163668 by Lambert
Oh I thought they were made in China. Cool, every day is a school day.

More
12 Mar 2016 19:58 #163672 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Made in China
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI get a lot of stuff from China direct (as opposed to things made in China but marketed like has been mentioned under brand names) and I find it fine.- there are exceptions but then non China stuff is also just as risky. The delay is the problem. I get my Junior spares also from UAE or Japan and other countries (as well as Mitsy on or off eBay) .
TBH I shop worldwide thanks to the interweb and it is all much the same.
Having said that this has just had to go back. :laugh: :laugh:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
13 Mar 2016 01:42 - 13 Mar 2016 02:13 #163675 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Made in China
Thanks for the replies. I agree with the common thread through most comments that we need to use some common sense and do some research. For my own example, I purchased one of the Chinese 2 din head units with GPS, Bluetooth and a half dozen other things I will probably never use. I didn’t buy it due to the price point but the fact that I couldn’t find any other that looks like a factory install. Before I made my purchase, I did a bit of digging. For anyone interested, there is a relatively detailed review at this link:

www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-andamp-bluea...hinese-headunit.html

The gentleman writing about these units had personal experience and was open about what he thought was done well and what could be improved. It helped a lot with my decision. Prior to reading that post, I had searched some of the Jimny forums for info. One post that struck me, and brings up a point Martin made, advised against a Chinese made product and suggested it would be better to just set up an I-pad to use for GPS. You know….the I-pads that are made in China.

I can’t yet provide feedback on my unit. For some logistical reasons, the one I purchased is taking a shipping detour, so I haven’t installed it yet. Even if I had it in, not sure if I could give specific feedback without some miles on it. As soon as I can provide specific comments I will update this post.

Tomorrow I will be having the same Chinese bumpers they sell at Genuine 4X4 installed. In the PI they are branded SR Performance. I will be making some comments on those soon, with special attention to the swing-out spare tire that I am a little suspect of. I invite all to continue sharing their own experiences for the benefit of others trying to make a good decision.

Last edit: 13 Mar 2016 02:13 by zukebob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gusthegorilla

• zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
16 Mar 2016 05:39 - 16 Mar 2016 05:51 #163812 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Made in China
Well, the mic bumpers are on so a quick initial couple of comments:

Good:
Look nice (at least I think so). I will be posting a build thread soon with pics.
Weld quality/general fabrication seems really good, for the most part. I'll Put a caveat on that by saying don't confuse fabrication for design. More on that later.
Not as heavy as some designs. For some, including me, that is good. For others it's bad.

I won't say bad but "caution":
I was initially going to install these myself but decided to use a shop here that has a really good reputation. Glad I did. One thing that may still be a problem with made in China is quality assurance. As I said, the general fabrication was really good but I doubt there is much inspection done. The front bumper went on and off of my Jim about 5 times due to not sitting EXACTLY right. The shop is really good and very picky. They worked about 4 hours "adjusting" the front until they were finally happy with it. Anyone thinking about these bumpers may want to have the installation done for them unless they have the facilities to work out problems.
Rear went on without issue. Looking at how the spare is attached, I am still a little concerned. Some of you may be very familiar with these bumpers, so bear with me. The first picture I've attached "closed" shows how the mount for the spare is pulled into a pillow block type design by the linkage when the door is closed. The second picture shows how the mount pulls away from the block when the door is open. Note the witness mark on the bar where it seats on the block in the open picture. When the assembly is new, and driven on the highway, I doubt that the vertical loading (up and down) will create many problems. Going off-road, I would be a little concerned that the longitudinal loading (fore and aft) might cause the linkage to pull and deform the mounting bracket. If that happened, I think there would possibly be a gap between the bar and the block, allowing the cantilevered spare to beat itself to death. I need to think a little more on that one.

Bottom line, my first take is that I'm happy with the purchase. I may make some mods to ease my mind but that is likely to be if I see an actual problem. Anyone that has put some miles on one of these is free to jump in.

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Mar 2016 05:51 by zukebob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NelsonB

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds