BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

alternator squealing

• Decklandpt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2016 14:22 #163256 by Decklandpt
Replied by Decklandpt on topic alternator squealing
@kirkynut, dont think so, the belt is less than a year old. doesn not feel plasticky, and cand feel any wear by running my finger in the tread.

@ back in black, there's no ascertainable wear on the belt, and no rubber dust.

maybe the belt tension needs adjusting, or maybe the crank pulley is on it's way out, i'll check it out this weekend, but i'm dead sure the noise i hear comes from the alternator bearing. as for the squeal, maybe it's the bearing locking up...dunno.
gonna have a look this weekend and send it to my garage next week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Back in Black
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2016 11:14 #163279 by Back in Black
Replied by Back in Black on topic alternator squealing
Good luck, I hope the issue is the cheapest and easiest fix ;)

It took me a while to work out where the dust was coming from.

More
03 Mar 2016 17:02 #163296 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic alternator squealing
Squirt WD40 in the area of the bearing to see if the noise goes.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
03 Mar 2016 17:18 #163299 by facade
Replied by facade on topic alternator squealing
On mine, the alternator rusted inside, and at startup, the high charging current pulled all the rust flakes into the rotor, and jammed it solid. (Is the theory from the auto electricians who sold me another.) I don't know for sure, as they wont come apart without breaking the casing when they are old.

Switching off, and looking for a problem freed it off for a few days until The Big One, when it stayed seized until I took it off and tried turning it backwards, when it went free.

Probably what helped to write off the front pulley I suppose.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Decklandpt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2016 18:14 #163302 by Decklandpt
@kirkynut, yeah, that was my first tought, just hope i don´t set it on fire. gonna see if it helps in the weekend.

hard part wil be checking out the rubber in the crank pulley, since it's behind the radiator.

More
03 Mar 2016 18:19 #163304 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:alternator squealing

minibbb wrote:

Is this the right part? Seems suspiciously cheap mind you

That part lists as only for the WagonR+

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
03 Mar 2016 18:21 #163305 by minibbb
Replied by minibbb on topic Re:alternator squealing

mlines wrote:

minibbb wrote:

Is this the right part? Seems suspiciously cheap mind you

That part lists as only for the WagonR+

Thanks Martin- that's what happens when you rely on Google!

Ordered the genuine part which was £124 posted. Going to the garage tomorrow but it's annoying as I want to rule the alternator bearing out as the suspect too!

Squealing is horrendous and also the belt is powdering near to the alternator

• Decklandpt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2016 11:02 #163441 by Decklandpt
Replied by Decklandpt on topic Re:alternator squealing
so,had a look in the weekend.
it's definitly the bearing. the crank pulley was fine, no cracks in the rubber bond, and no off-axis spinning
sprayed some wd-40, it helped as long as it was being spayed, but as it was turning it was being spat out, so i turned of the engine, added some more wd-40 and left it to rest, tomorrow i'll drive it to work and see how it goes. do you guys reckon i'll need a new alternator or can the bearing be replaced?

More
07 Mar 2016 11:44 #163444 by facade
Replied by facade on topic alternator squealing
If you can get the alternator apart, you should be able to remove the bearing and match it either from the size, or the numbers on it.

I couldn't get the casing apart, I was sure that it would break, but as you don't want the front bearing, you could warm the casing round the bearing and try.

Of course, you won't be able to drive the car until the alternator is replaced, and you won't be able to exchange it in pieces.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Decklandpt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2016 13:24 #163496 by Decklandpt
so, drove it to work today, no noises or squealing, guess i'm gonna be carrying that can of wd-40 with me for a week till i go to the mechanic. damn schedules, cant get off work at a decent hour

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds