BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Not yet a Jimny owner.

• rogsmith
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2016 17:45 #163098 by rogsmith
Not yet a Jimny owner. was created by rogsmith
Hello to all,

Just joined the forum as i have been looking about at smallish 4x4 for a while and i love the look of the Jimny. Also it has great reviews for its off road ability.

I want to get one for my drive to work and to use off roading but i need the fuel economy to be good really. I drive 26 miles each way everyday and currently spend £90 a month on fuel.

Can i ask what would it cost from a Jimny doing that sort of mileage. I have thought about an lpg conversion to it, not sure if that would be worth it.

Anyway as mentioned i have not bought one yet but i really want to. Any advise about this would be great.

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2016 17:57 #163099 by mark98
Replied by mark98 on topic Not yet a Jimny owner.
If you keep it standard, then you can get about 28-34 mpg out of a Jimny, slightly less with an automatic. You will spend more on fuel than you currently do, by my calculations, you will spend about about £180 get to just to work and back each month. A Jimny costs around £35 to fill up, and you will get about 200 miles from a tank, depending on your driving style. I don't know of anybody that has done an LPG conversion, but I'm sure somebody on here will know something about them!

That said, a Jimny will give many more smiles per gallon, the reliability is great and it really is great off road, comparable to other, more 'prestigious' 4x4's. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rogsmith

More
28 Feb 2016 18:01 #163100 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Not yet a Jimny owner.
Hello and welcome!

In a standard Jimny you will get between 30 and 36mpg depending the age of the car (newer engines=better) and how you drive. If your Jimny is heavily modified, broken or needing a service you will get much less. If you drive incredibly slowly or are bad at maths you may get a little more :)

I'm not sure if anyone makes an LPG kit but finding somewhere to put the tank would be your problem. The range is already pretty low with the 40 litre petrol tank, so replacing it with an LPG tank would mean you'd be filling up twice as often. There's not really any boot space to put an extra tank in, unless you lose the rear seats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rogsmith

More
28 Feb 2016 20:41 #163106 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Not yet a Jimny owner.
You can put Lpg on anything but as has been said, where can you put a tank in a Jimny? The boot is tiny and there's no room underneath and it would be vulnerable to damage off road there.

You'll not get good fuel economy with any 4x4 though, so I wouldn't dismiss a Jimny on that basis. Of course if you can't afford it, you can't afford it though.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2016 20:49 #163108 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic Not yet a Jimny owner.
One garage i worked at used to look after an lpg converted jimny, the tank was in the boot and filled it. The owner sold it in the end as it was too inconvenient having no luggage space

• bigknd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Feb 2016 07:33 #163121 by bigknd
Replied by bigknd on topic Not yet a Jimny owner.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationLpg one for sale here B)

More
29 Feb 2016 07:50 #163122 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Not yet a Jimny owner.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

bigknd wrote: Lpg one for sale here B)

Wow!

More
29 Feb 2016 15:55 #163135 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Not yet a Jimny owner.
My point exactly. It takes up the whole boot! Plus it's bolted to the boot floor that will crumble!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Feb 2016 16:53 #163138 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Not yet a Jimny owner.
Is that entirely safe having a pressure vessel full of flammable gas in the rear crumple zone? I know those tanks are tough but what would happen if something land cruiser size hit it at motorway speed? That would be devastating. Stick with petrol in the proper tank out of harms way.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Feb 2016 17:27 #163139 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:RE: Not yet a Jimny owner.

11/60 wrote: Is that entirely safe having a pressure vessel full of flammable gas in the rear crumple zone? I know those tanks are tough but what would happen if something land cruiser size hit it at motorway speed? That would be devastating. Stick with petrol in the proper tank out of harms way.

I think if something the size of a land cruiser hit a jimny at motorway speed even the stock fuel tank wouldn't be out of harms way :(

More
29 Feb 2016 19:09 #163142 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Not yet a Jimny owner.
I still think if the rear silencer was removed and the exhaust routed out the side an LPG tank or tanks could go in that space as it is quite large.
Probably no good for off roaders though.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
29 Feb 2016 19:13 #163143 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Not yet a Jimny owner.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds