BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Using air conditioning as additional descent brake

More
22 Oct 2015 16:08 - 22 Oct 2015 16:10 #154182 by Bosanek
Hello!

I am wondering if anyone else came to the same idea as I have.
In other words, I am either genius or idiot, and I would like to confirm which one of those :).

Everyone knows that using air conditioning increases fuel consumption, because the coolant compressor (when it's running) is mechanically connected/engaged to the engine, so it shares part of the mechanical power which the engine produces.
Therefore, I was thinking if the opposite effect would exist - when the car is going downhill and the engine is braking, would the air conditioning compressor utilize part of the braking power, or not.

So I tried my theory on a normal tarmac road which has a stable descent gradient which is several km long.
To shorten the story - I noticed that the car descends down approx 12% slower then I turn on air conditioning!

So, am I correct if I state that air conditioning does indeed "soak" a part of the kinetic energy which strains the engine and the transmission when it's braking downhill, or not?

Considering all this,

I was wondering if it would be wise to use air conditioning as a slight additional braking aid when performing steep offroad descents in 1st low gear?

Has anyone practiced this and how much effect does it give in real world?

Would this practice be harmful (in short terms or in long terms) to the coolant compressor, to the engine itself, or to other components (like the belt, etc.)?
Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 16:10 by Bosanek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2015 16:26 - 22 Oct 2015 16:28 #154183 by Halford
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bosanek, are you a research student with too much time on your hands ?

after you publish your findings can you discover if the climate is changing because everyone's now got climate control.

:P
Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 16:28 by Halford.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2015 17:24 #154186 by Daniel30
Erm........ :blink: :whistle:

More
22 Oct 2015 18:12 #154195 by Obarno
I think that when you select 4wd or low it overrides the ability to have the a/c on!

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2015 18:38 #154198 by TomDK

Obarno wrote: I think that when you select 4wd or low it overrides the ability to have the a/c on!

Think you're wrong ;)

More
22 Oct 2015 21:09 #154217 by Obarno
I should have prefixed my comment with for VVT vehicles. They have a little box situated above the throttle pedal which is the switch for the low range/ac.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
22 Oct 2015 22:33 #154225 by facade
IIRC, the pushbutton transfer box drops the aircon out when 4wd low is selected. Not sure why :unsure:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
23 Oct 2015 13:43 - 23 Oct 2015 13:45 #154246 by Busta
Does the AC compressor run constantly when the AC is switched on? It doesn't in my Liana. It could cut out part way down a decent. It will provide a bit of breaking when running but I wouldn't rely on it.
Last edit: 23 Oct 2015 13:45 by Busta.

More
23 Oct 2015 16:50 #154264 by Obarno
It cuts in and out all the time. It makes as much difference in terms of power for climbing as it does for breaking on a descent. So you do notice when it cuts in.

More
29 Oct 2015 18:49 #154833 by Bosanek
Well I was on a holiday and I drove down the same descent every day in the morning for six consecutive days, so I had some time to study this question :)

Operation of the air conditioning system is not affected by the operation of electronic transfer case in my DDiS Jimny made in 2006, and vice versa. In other words, AC continues to work when I engage 4WD-L, and I can turn AC on or off during 4WD-L mode.

Wouldn't the compressor work all the time if the temperature knob is set to the coolest point and the fan blower strength is increased to at least level 3?

More
30 Oct 2015 14:48 #154894 by BorisSpencer
If you turn on all the lights and the wipers, then the alternator will also work harder and soak some more engine power.
In addition you could turn the engine off prior to the descent, to run the battery down a bit, before restarting.

Note. This is intended as a sarcastic reply and should be read as such.

More
02 Nov 2015 15:11 #155171 by Bosanek
Another thing that can help is to decrease weight by for example expelling all the passengers from the vehicle before descending. That would make it much lighter, and by the laws of physics, less mass achieves less acceleration due to the force of gravity.

:D

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds