BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

tyres

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2010 15:52 #5768 by mkay
Replied by mkay on topic Re: tyres
no 87's a good picture.

the radiator arrived ok didnt it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2010 19:47 #5775 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: tyres

mkay wrote: no 87's a good picture.

the radiator arrived ok didnt it?

Ahh Yes, that was just a +2" lift and very little else done to it.

Rad is superb thanks. Only managed to collect it from my neighbour this morning !!!
Will keep it as part of my essential things to do as soon as I start offroading kit.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2010 20:25 #5780 by mkay
i cant find an auto rad anywhere, been researching other auto rads for older suzuki vehicles found a couple going to get the garage to look into retrofitting

More
06 Nov 2010 20:41 #5782 by ooky_123
:( not good .. how about getting your existing one re-cored ?

My TVR only cost me £166 for a 4 core rad for a V8.
Would have thought that a jimny would be around £100 for a recore.

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2010 20:50 #5784 by mkay
unfortunatly i cant, i have limited mobility and live 5miles from the nearest well anything!! i cant go without my car whilst it gets done

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2010 21:56 #5785 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: tyres
have you tried ebay for jimnys being broken?
you may be lucky and drop on an auto

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2010 19:05 #5880 by mkay
im keeping my eyes open.

jason, your 215's, back when you were running the standard jimny; you wrote that they only caused a problem on full compression and that you had 18mm treadblocks. this leaves me thinking that with road tyres with the usual minimal tread depth would be ok.

other than the catching on compression was there any other symptoms associated with larger tyres(lower fuel consumption and poor cornering)?

as i really need some extra hight, but do not want to effect the driving/balance of the car

More
11 Nov 2010 19:34 #5883 by ooky_123
with the 215x80's in Mud Pattern they were almost 30" tall .. this is very much on the limit of the standard gearing of the Jimny.
They didnt catch on the bodywork, but I did remove the bottom edge of the rear bumper to give clearance as it tended to catch and fill up with mud and stones when offroading.

The handling is affected as with all mods over standard, but it isnt really noticeable .. the jimny doesnt handle at the best of times, just exercise a littl emore caution and youll be fine.
If you want a little extra height, why not think about just fitting a 1" spring spacer block with standard shockers .. easy to do and the result is immediate.
any higher though and you want to be looking at springs and new dampers(although if you dont intend taking advantage of the extra flex in teh suspension, you could always just go for springs and keep your origional dampers if height is your goal.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds