BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

tyres

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2010 18:00 #5721 by mkay
tyres was created by mkay
iv read the info page martin has re tyres and searched the forum,

but still i have a question;

will road pattern 215/80/15's fit between the arches of a standard jimny?

i dont do any "off roading" i just drive in fields, on cart tracks and most importantly in snow. the standard jim is capable of far more than i will use it for.
its not my daily drive or used for long journeys.
so im not to worried about loosing a little articulation, i just need a little more height.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JimBru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2010 18:29 #5723 by JimBru
Replied by JimBru on topic Re: tyres
I've got 215/75/15 mud tyres and they dont catch at all, i'm guessing they would be fine. Dont shoot me if they catch they :P

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2010 20:05 #5729 by mkay
Replied by mkay on topic Re: tyres
could you do me a favour jim, 215/75 should give a diameter of 27.7" but being MT's yours may be a little larger, could you run a tape measure over them and let me know what the actual diameter is? 'cause the 215/80 are 28.5"

More
05 Nov 2010 10:36 - 05 Nov 2010 10:52 #5733 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: tyres
Well it also depends on the tyre you are fitting.
We run 215x80xr15 Diamond Back Mud Tyres, and those babies are almost 30" tall due to them having 18mm treadblocks.

Even with a 2" suspension lift, then catch the outer edge of the bumpers and will touch the inner wing on full compression.

Weve cut 2" off the rear bumper, and also just fitted a 2" body lift to stop the tyres from bottoming out.

I think you will struggle with standard suspension to be honest if you plan on running any agressive tread pattern.

My Father has a standard Jimny, and I plan on getting him some 215x75 BGF AT/2's

Ive just found a picture of the 215's against the standard 205's. ok, it has a +2" suspension lift, but you can see the tyre size difference

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2010 10:52 by ooky_123.

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2010 15:45 #5734 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re: tyres
Are those standard fourtrax rims in the picture? They look like it and i know a scrappy thats got a few sets in, just wondering if they'll fit

More
05 Nov 2010 15:57 #5735 by ooky_123

Nelson83 wrote: Are those standard fourtrax rims in the picture? They look like it and i know a scrappy thats got a few sets in, just wondering if they'll fit

yes, Daihatsu steel wheels ... they fit a treat too

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2010 16:03 #5736 by Nelson83
:P Cool!!! Think i might have to get down the scrappy and get a set!!! I'm after a set of GV rims (deep dish) but the scrappy only had the shallow ones in the other week - he wanted 15 quid per rim and tyre, so fingers crossed the fourtrax rims will be a similar piece (he did have at least 3 fourtrax in there). When i first got my truck, i asked the dealer to swop the alloys on mine for the steelies on the other on the forecourt, but as the other was a demo he couldnt :-( however he kindly offered to order me a set of 5 through the parts department - 75notes + VAT a rim!!!! :sick: hence why 3 years later i've still got three spokes.

The GV would be the holy grail, but in the mean time, the fourtrax rims will be fine, just need a set of insas to go with them!!

More
05 Nov 2010 16:11 #5737 by ooky_123
dont dismiss the Daihatsu rims .. they also come in 2 width's .. mine are 6J's and I can put a 235 tyre on them no worries... I used to have a set of 7.5J's and my mate fitted a set of 31x10.5x15's on them ... too big for the standard Jimny though .... Gearing would need adjusting to run those monsters.

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2010 19:51 #5744 by Nelson83
Have you got a side on shot of the rims on your truck ooky - wouldnt mind double checking what they would look like? and with the magic of photo shop i can see if they would look better silver/ black/ white etc

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2010 20:05 - 05 Nov 2010 20:05 #5746 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: tyres

Nelson83 wrote: Have you got a side on shot of the rims on your truck ooky - wouldnt mind double checking what they would look like? and with the magic of photo shop i can see if they would look better silver/ black/ white etc

Attachment daihatsu wheels_2010-11-05.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2010 20:05 by darthloachie.

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2010 20:09 #5747 by Nelson83
Best get some spring spacers then!!!:lol:

More
06 Nov 2010 10:54 #5761 by ooky_123

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds