BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Can someone end this for me once and for all!?!?

• davert85
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2015 10:49 #137225 by davert85
Sorry guys but its another tyre size related post...sigh.

I run a 2" lift and was told the biggest tyres i can get which wont give me problems with rubbing, transmission, breakages etc etc was 215/75/15. So thats what i got. How ever, i was chatting to a few people on a facebook group and have seen a few guys on here to, who fit 235/75/15 (with same lift as me, no upgraded transfer box or anything etc) and all say no issues, no problems, all good.

So.....who wants to be judge and jury on this one? Shall i go bigger, can a jim with no tranny/drive mods handle it? or stick with what iv got????
If i go bigger there will be a set of 215/75/15 bfgoodrich MTs for sale, 90 miles on them.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tomhorntoad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2015 11:53 #137231 by Tomhorntoad
Replied by Tomhorntoad on topic Can someone end this for me once and for all!?!?
Dibs on the bfg's :)

More
08 Feb 2015 11:58 #137233 by mc_nebula
You could fit those,I believe. You would probably have to do some trimming of the plastic arches to maintain flex and full steering lock.

As for breaking things, there are people who run bigger tyres... Some people break things, some don't. I've been out laning with someone who wasn't driving abusively and blew a front CV running your tyre size. I also go laning with a chap running 30's for over a year who has never blown a CV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davert85

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2015 12:04 #137234 by TomDK

davert85 wrote: Sorry guys but its another tyre size related post...sigh.

I run a 2" lift and was told the biggest tyres i can get which wont give me problems with rubbing, transmission, breakages etc etc was 215/75/15. So thats what i got. How ever, i was chatting to a few people on a facebook group and have seen a few guys on here to, who fit 235/75/15 (with same lift as me, no upgraded transfer box or anything etc) and all say no issues, no problems, all good.

So.....who wants to be judge and jury on this one? Shall i go bigger, can a jim with no tranny/drive mods handle it? or stick with what iv got????
If i go bigger there will be a set of 215/75/15 bfgoodrich MTs for sale, 90 miles on them.

Thanks in advance

Depends on your how much extra stuff you put on the Jimny. standard 2" lift springs are no harder than standard Jimny springs.

But 235/75/15 non-remoulds like BFG's will fit just fine on a 2" lift without any mods. 235/75/15 remoulds will also fit a 2" lift. But may require some modding to the arches and the outside corner of the footwells.. Not sure what it's called :)

But loaded up with external cage, winch, bumpers and stuff. Get diesel springs of some sort.

I run 235/75/15 Special Tracks on a 2" lift. But my springs are pretty hard. So almost no sag.

More
08 Feb 2015 12:26 #137238 by Basketcase
I had 235 75 15 on my Jimny with a 3 inch lift and I had to cut the front bumper and remove the inner wheel arch trims out, they were remould tyres

More
08 Feb 2015 12:50 #137241 by Rhinoman

davert85 wrote: How ever, i was chatting to a few people on a facebook group and have seen a few guys on here to, who fit 235/75/15 (with same lift as me, no upgraded transfer box or anything etc) and all say no issues, no problems, all good.

People often say stuff like that, you have to be a bit cynical. Personally I found that even 215R15s had a quite detrimental effect on the drivability and fuel economy on a stock G13BB engine Jimny. I have the 2" JB lift and a set of 215 Maltestas on 7" rims and they won't fit without trimming, the backspacing and width of the rim has quite an effect on clearance - how many of the 'no problems' crowd gave any details on their wheel specs?

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2015 13:27 #137243 by gaz3359
Ive got 235 75 15 insa sahara on an offset rim 3" lift and done some arch trimming and i still get the occasional rubbing sound when twisted up.i run a 410 transferbox and 1.6 engine id hate to have that size on standard gearing.suppose aswell it all depends what your going to do with it.

i have a friend who runs a 2" lift standard engine and transmission but has 215 80 15 on sj rims with spacers he has done some trimming but not as much as me.he has yet to break anything on his.but to drive you have to get the revs up to get it moving its pretty gutless.

More
08 Feb 2015 15:16 #137252 by Busta
In terms of gearing, the difference between standard tyres and 235/75 R15 muds is 11-13%, depending if they are standard or remoulds. Whatever people say, that's a big difference! Even with 215/75s I find 1st low isn't low enough on some climbs and the gearing on road is a bit long. If you go with the 235s, I'd definitely make the transfer case your next modification or you'll find you are just slipping the clutch all the time and getting nowhere.

More
08 Feb 2015 21:04 #137310 by idiotmobil
You can run them on standered gearing but it's crap bet the people running them haven't experienced a lobster box so can't compare. I burnt a clutch out running them with standered gearing wile waiting ages for a box to be made. Dropping down gears up hills all the time pulling away at junctions was crap. Useable but just leaves you wanting standered gearing back. As for lift I run a 2" with trimming and done fine and looks ok if trimmed neatly. But I upgraded to 3" and winch bumpers etc after as that was allways the plan

JIMNYLESS

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2015 21:22 #137312 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re:Can someone end this for me once and for all!?!?
I fitted 215/75/15's to my J with no lift and it was fine until you hit a bump or pot hole in the road, then it would rub. Even with a 2" lift sometimes it might rub a bit at full articulation. But these are nobbly mud tyres so are a bit bigger than say just road going 215/75's.

As for the drive train, you have to cane it a bit in each gear but it is not too bad performance wish. I have also found my MT's fine to drive on the road and in fact better than standard Duellers grip wise in the wet.

• davert85
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2015 00:29 #137323 by davert85
So what we are saying in a nutshell chaps is 215/75 is the biggest and safest option for a two inch lift if you do not have or wish to get a transfer box. Anything bigger and you may find you snap your jimny in two if you dont compensate gear wise. (Ignore trimming, iv cut my bumper down anyway, this post was more about seeing what the biggest tyre is you can fit with out changing anything mechanically)

Thanks

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2015 06:55 #137327 by TomDK
You still need to take into account that there is difference between remoulds and non-remoulds. 215 remoulds may very well be as tall as 235 non-remoulds.

Also 235 no matter type will do just fine on standard transferbox if only doing easy greenlaning.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds