BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Budget van top

• Nelson83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2010 14:25 #5544 by Nelson83
Budget van top was created by Nelson83
Back when I first got my truck I had a vision (well drunken idea) "how difficult would it be to turn my black truck into a commerical?" After many pints later, i decided that the easiest method would be to get the windows tinted. However around the same time, a mate of mine had gone out and bought his own jimny and had the same done - £150 for the rear and both sides - NOT A :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ING CHANCE was my response - had better things to waste my cash on.

Roll on 2 years, and my mates jimny was sold, but I've still got mine. This idea of mine still kept playing in the back of my head and having relocated back home, with a nice flat drive on which to work my magic, the beer started talking again, but this time with more aggression. I looked into the idea of tinting again, but in the mean time Adamski posted pics of his tidy truck with vinyl sides, hhhhhmmmmmmm............

Would vinyl be easier?? At the same time, I started to play about with the idea of an internal cage to keep the dog in the back and not in the front. We'll i think I've crack both - heres the results

Attachment Photo 0861.jpg not found

Attachment Photo 0859.jpg not found

Attachment Photo 0857.jpg not found

Attachment Photo 0856.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nelson83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2010 14:35 #5548 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re: Budget van top
As you can see from the pics (not all uploaded), i had the idea of using a normal cheapo dog guard from a well known catalogue. Unfortunately the dog, soon realised that he could crawl under the bottom. This resulted in a trip to my local iron mongers for some more weldmesh. Well for £20 quid the off cut they gave me, has provided enough mesh for the front of the cage and enough to do the back and side windows - my thinking being, if tinted/ vinyled an thief that did manage to peer in would see the cage and think other wise.

Roll on today, and a trip to my local sign makers gave me enough vinyl for the side windows for a tenner - the colour match is almost exact. Took a while to apply, but for a tenner, it was alot cheaper than tint.

So to total up my budget van top

1 dog guard - £25 quid
1 off cut of weldmesh - £20
1 sheet of vinyl - £10

Grand total of £55 quid!! B) Alot cheaper than i ever imagined paying. Plus i've still kept the seats in, just incase i need to transport any more than two. All that needs to be done when i sell it, peel off the vinyl, remove the mesh and bingo, back to normal!!

As the meerkat says - SIMPLES!!! I love drunken ideas when they finally get finished :-)

• Nelson83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2010 15:00 #5551 by Nelson83

Attachment Photo 1347.jpg not found

Attachment Photo 1349.jpg not found

As you can see from the pics above - almost spot on colour match and nice and smooth
Attachments:

• trextr7monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2010 18:42 #5571 by trextr7monkey
Replied by trextr7monkey on topic Re: Budget van top
Tidy job- the wonders of vinyl!
This surely puts you in line for the Captain Cunning award, nice flat area for some Big Jimny stickers;0
atb
Mike

ps how is mesh held onto inside of side windows? It isn't going to get pulled off by the dog jumping about? Maybe a couple of tiny P clips and small self tappers would do the trick?

• Nelson83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2010 19:17 #5573 by Nelson83
Thats exactly how the weldmesh is secured - P clips from a well known orange DIY place ;)

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2010 12:09 #5587 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: Budget van top
Looking very good B)! I love mine being van style, I got the rear window tinted limo black last week and now the interior is very dark and cave-like... I love it!

• Nelson83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2010 16:19 #5599 by Nelson83
Van style is the way forward, im on the look out for some tiny "commerical" badges to go under the Jimny logo now B) . I've got the tint ready to go on sometime this week. Then it'll be a quick hunt round the scrappys for a rear interior light and bingo, fully finished commerical jimny - the japs dont make them, but i do!!! :lol: . I've also got a cargo net salvaged from a volvo ready to go onto the back door card, so i can keep all my junk secure.

Modifying a jimny is just like a can of pringles - once you pop you just cant stop!!!

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2010 18:29 #5606 by Adamski

Nelson83 wrote: Van style is the way forward, im on the look out for some tiny "commerical" badges to go under the Jimny logo now B) . I've got the tint ready to go on sometime this week. Then it'll be a quick hunt round the scrappys for a rear interior light and bingo, fully finished commerical jimny - the japs dont make them, but i do!!! :lol: . I've also got a cargo net salvaged from a volvo ready to go onto the back door card, so i can keep all my junk secure.

Modifying a jimny is just like a can of pringles - once you pop you just cant stop!!!

I can make the 'Commercial' decals for you, I make and sell vinyl car graphics on ebay. PM me and we can sort it out :) .

I would love to see the interior light and cargo net when you fitted them.

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2010 20:52 - 31 Oct 2010 20:52 #5611 by Adamski
We're not the only ones....

Last edit: 31 Oct 2010 20:52 by Adamski.

• Nelson83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2010 21:13 #5612 by Nelson83
Seeing as they did SJ commercials, surely theres a market for factory built commercial jimnys, if they did them with a diesel engine, then they'd make a killing!!!! If only.................

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2010 21:16 - 31 Oct 2010 21:17 #5614 by Adamski

Nelson83 wrote: Seeing as they did SJ commercials, surely theres a market for factory built commercial jimnys, if they did them with a diesel engine, then they'd make a killing!!!! If only.................

Yeah the Jimny lends itself to having the 1.3 diesel engine that is in the new Swift's. I wonder if anyone has done a conversion...
Last edit: 31 Oct 2010 21:17 by Adamski.

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2010 10:48 #5624 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: Budget van top
the european spec has a 1.5 dci engine aswell as a 1.3 petrol lucky people its the clio engine surely someone has done that???

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds