BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

vhf/uhf 2m/70cm radio.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2014 09:46 #115392 by jonesyba420
vhf/uhf 2m/70cm radio. was created by jonesyba420
shot in the dark this post but hey here goes............................recently passed my foundation amateur radio licence (some in the know may have spotted my call sign to the left ;) ) and i need to get a decent mobile antenna, so the question is what do you use? and where do you mount it and with what mount? needs to be able to withstand trees etc from laning. ive got a little cheap chinese antenna on the roof atm but its not brilliant so looking for advice on an upgrade.

im not a millionaire who can afford to spend £200 on a antenna so please bare that in mind lol.

THIS IS NOT A QUESTION REGARDING CB's SO PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2014 09:56 #115393 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic vhf/uhf 2m/70cm radio.
Hi

I am G1SEO/MRA34/2CKS5 (The last two callsigns are a challenge for you to find out what they are) and also a Foundation/Intermediate authorised assessor.

I use a magnetic mount dual band mobile aerial (made by Diamond). Basically its a stainless whip with loading coils.

The mag mount is fine for most purposes but on the real off-roader I have a fixed mount on the steel bumper and use the same aerial on that.

See here for my off-roader implementation.

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/entry/adding-a-cb-radio-v15-92

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2014 10:18 #115395 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic vhf/uhf 2m/70cm radio.
Cheers for the response Martin, had a feeling you were a HAM enthusiast.

First callsign is a full licence........correct? Not sure on the others will consult my father (M0JSA).

Do you have a link to the diamond antenna?

I was worried the responce would be a front bumper mount as I have normal bumpers :(

Do you notice any drop in range from roof to bumper? Ive only got a little handheld pushing 5watts so any loss of range due to antenna positioning could be more of an issue..........like to listen to the local repeater (GB3P0) as it gets alot of use.

had mine stuck to the bonnet (it encorporates a mag mount) when I was last out laning as it lasted about 5meters into the first lane before it got took off the roof!!!

More
16 May 2014 10:37 #115397 by mlines
Diamond are available through most UK suppliers

an alternative is moonraker

www.moonraker.eu/amateur-radio-1/mobile-...as/dual-and-tri-band

There is a drop in range and a change in field pattern by putting it down on the bumper, however it is usually still fine for a bit of repeater work.

ANother popular mount point is to put a bracket on the spare wheel mount

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
16 May 2014 10:41 #115398 by mlines
ALso the mag mount is an industrial strength one (dinner plate sized) , not one of this very small (50p sized one) on the base of some modern aerials

Martin

More
18 May 2014 15:49 #115614 by gus2000
Replied by gus2000 on topic vhf/uhf 2m/70cm radio.
Hello, my callsign is lu2hc, and use VHF/UHF transceiver in my jimny

My old yaesu 5200 - vhf/uhf

ANTENNA: I’m suggest for uhf only good quality antenna (very high gain)

i´m install Diamond NR 790 vhf and UHF (4.5dB, y 7.2dB) :)

And coaxial cable (low loss (or low attenuation) in uhf).

In Uhf frequencies is necessary very good quality products, to achieve reasonable communication. (you can not save money) :S

Coax connectors must be low loss (eg amphenol)

Gustavo lu2hc

Gustavo LU2HC - Rio Cuarto (Argentina)
Jimny 1999 - 1.6 16V - SOHC

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2014 11:17 - 27 May 2014 11:48 #116433 by jonesyba420
little update:

went to "Waters & Stanton" on saturday with my Dad to look at suitable aerials that can deal with overhanging branches etc while laning!!anyway he conveniently (for me anyway) brought himself a new Yaesu 2m radio to go in his Defender so lucky me gets his old Kenwood km-v7 :cheer: meaning i can stop using my Baofeng uv-b5 handheld :cheer: also meaning i can now use 10w :cheer:

so after dinner saturday evening (while the misses was at work) i set to work deciding where to mount my new Kenwood, after much deliberating i decided under the ashtray was the most suitable place as i need to be able to see it (unlike my Cb which is stashed under the glove box).......... the mount supplied was not suitable for the task so i set about fabricating my own mounting bracket. some time went past as i worked on a design and sourced some suitable metal, screws etc from my old mans work shop and construction commenced.

heres 2 pics of the end result:

so saturday night resulted in me mounting the radio and running the coax to the roof via the fm aerial mount on the roof.didnt finish till late saturday night.
sunday morning i ran the power for the radio direct to the battery going through where the clutch cable goes and picked up some longer bolts for the antenna mount to clamp it round my roof rack.

the first picture shows the antenna ill use for daily driving as i dont need to worry about length:

this second pic is of a cheap Watson MR700 with a 3/8 to pl239 adapter on a soft spring for laning (hopefully this will handle the trees and if not it was only £14):

monday i fitted 2 speakers for the radio one for each band, had to extend the wires and strip the drivers side interior out to run the wires but im happy with the result:

all in all worked out well and the little aerials work surprisingly well and provide a decent range......time will tell if they survive a days laning ;)
Last edit: 27 May 2014 11:48 by jonesyba420.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2014 11:49 #116437 by jonesyba420
Thanks for reading :)

• florinelu07
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2018 09:33 #191610 by florinelu07
Replied by florinelu07 on topic vhf/uhf 2m/70cm radio.
Hi all,

Just spotted the section ... any suggestion for best place to fit and VHF/UHF antenna on the Jimny?

With magnetic is quite straight forward, but I'm looking for a mechanical/screw fit of the antenna.

Thanks,

73 by YO6GTJ B)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Apr 2018 16:56 #191624 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic vhf/uhf 2m/70cm radio.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

florinelu07 wrote: Hi all,

Just spotted the section ... any suggestion for best place to fit and VHF/UHF antenna on the Jimny?

With magnetic is quite straight forward, but I'm looking for a mechanical/screw fit of the antenna.

Thanks,

73 by YO6GTJ B)

I use this on the back door. Works great with a 1mtr whip aerial on it (but does clang on the back door when on scratchy lanes a bit)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• florinelu07
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2018 07:10 #191650 by florinelu07
Replied by florinelu07 on topic vhf/uhf 2m/70cm radio.
Thanks - I'll have a look.

On the other hand, mounting it on the roof rack should be a good idea, but I don't have a clue if it will affect (negative) the SWR.

Till now, the best place to fit a magnetic base antenna is the center of the roof - due to obvious reasons, I can't do tests with antenna that requires drilling and "hardware" mounting.

More
16 Apr 2018 21:21 #191776 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic vhf/uhf 2m/70cm radio.
A roof rack should be big enough to be a good ground plane. You'll need to tune the SWR with a meter but that's no biggie!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds