BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

kingpin shims

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Dec 2013 13:32 #95418 by littletriple
kingpin shims was created by littletriple
Hi all,

The kingpin is supported top & bottom in a pair of taper rollers which can be shimmed to achieve the correct bearing pre-load. Now, do you have to shim top & bottom bearings separately, or are things arranged so that a shim top or bottom will tighten both top & bottom races?

cheers,

Martin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2013 22:11 #95509 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic kingpin shims

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....

More
11 Dec 2013 22:46 #95516 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic kingpin shims

dirtydogz wrote: Take a look at this.
www.lines-associates.com/store/index.php...product&product_id=8

I thought the preload was correct without shims. :whistle:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Dec 2013 08:58 #95537 by littletriple
Replied by littletriple on topic kingpin shims
thanks guys,

But...surely the preload isnt always spot on or there would be no need for shims. These kinds of bearing always bed in & wear & so on ...so some form of adjustment has to be a good thing on a taper roller.

I havent had one apart (yet) & am simply trying to understand how it works. I imagine it is very like the steering head on a motorcycle which often use a pair of these bearings. They need regular preload adjustment & if you dont bother the bearings loosen & begin to get pitted. Once this happens they are scrap & the steering will go to hell.
Maybe this is why the Jimny kingpins don't last too well as there is no regular adjustment of them?? :blink:

Anyway the question is still there. Does shimming one bearing tighten both top & bottom & if not why not?

More
12 Dec 2013 10:14 #95546 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic kingpin shims
The pre-load was designed to be correct without shims. Suzuki do not formally offer shims.

In practice, with wear and tear of use, play occurs in the system.

Suzuki in some countries has offered shims to help with this.

I have created a shim kit in the store to cover this issue.

Shimming one tightens that one. However it also very slightly pushes the hub as well, so it takes some of the play out of the other kingpin, I would recommend evenly shimming both rather that putting a large shim in one.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: littletriple

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Dec 2013 13:41 #95561 by littletriple
Replied by littletriple on topic kingpin shims
thanks Martin,

Before I bought my car the Suzuki dealer carried out the service bulletin to rectify some steering wobble. I noted on the report that only 1 shim was added each side. From the disturbance it looks like these went on the bottom. Anyway, the wobble is sorted but I am a bit concerned that by adding only 1 shim it might displace the hub (up in this case) and load the drive shaft bearings as the shaft alignment has been moved by the thickness of the shim. Is this likely to be significant, or am I worrying over nothing...?
When the weather improve I plan to shim the kingpins properly myself top & bottom as you have recommended. Just dont want anything to be damaged in the meantime.

Sorry to go on about this but that's how you learn.. :blush:

cheers,

Martin.

• jayj
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Dec 2016 18:52 #176133 by jayj
Replied by jayj on topic kingpin shims
Greetings from Panama,

The upper and lower bearing support the steering knuckle and allow it to turn. Both bearing forces are working together. If one bearing is loose, the other will be loose as they are opposing each other. So if you add one shim, the free-play that is removed will be removed from both bearings.
Yes it is true that by adding shims to either the top or bottom will shift the centerline of the knuckle in relationship to the axle housing, but unless you were adding a mm of shims, the offset is insignificant. The only issue I can see looking at the drawings is the relation of the axle to the oil seal. If the offset is too severe, the oil seal could leak.

More
17 Aug 2019 11:31 #212202 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic kingpin shims

jayj wrote: Greetings from Panama,
The only issue I can see looking at the drawings is the relation of the axle to the oil seal. If the offset is too severe, the oil seal could leak.

Most suppliers of lip seals will allow quite a lot of offset as long as there is no throw. A shaft seal should easily cope with an offset of 0.2mm without it being a leak problem. Most seals should manage 0.4mm offset depending on the profile and design.

Especially if you fix the wooble and vibrations by adding a shim the seal will be more comfy :)

The reason for me reading old shim threads is that I am going to my garage to shim up my lower shims just as an quick fix before driving tonight to and from a music festival. I will do it properly later and change the bearings and all as a complete service, but driving yesterday I got fed up with the wobble.
So I am trying to find a tip i saw earlier on just adding shims to the lower pins as a test.. but i couldn't find it, or how much to add so I'll just "gefuhl" it. :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds