BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What Diesel engines fit

• page
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2013 17:53 #77254 by page
Replied by page on topic What Diesel engines fit
The trouble with old school is they are hard to fine in gd condition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2013 18:18 - 16 Jul 2013 18:21 #77257 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic What Diesel engines fit

page wrote: The trouble with old school is they are hard to fine in gd condition

Thats why i favour isuzu was used rite up to early vectras i do beleive
Allways 1/2 a dozen on ebay and you can pick up a complete car for £300 and get £120 back for scrap on the body :)
Last edit: 16 Jul 2013 18:21 by Dave cc.

• page
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2013 18:26 #77259 by page
Replied by page on topic What Diesel engines fit
Are they really high miles on them mate when I was looking for one I couldn't find a gooden

• steffan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2013 18:49 #77262 by steffan
Replied by steffan on topic What Diesel engines fit

Dave cc wrote:

steffan wrote:

markyp2000 wrote: Yep thay all do now adays got to think old school on the engines

3.9 v8 sounds pritty cool

6.2 V8 GMC Diesel :)

Yh man drop 1 a those bad boys in a jimny

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2013 22:08 #77308 by Dave cc

page wrote: Are they really high miles on them mate when I was looking for one I couldn't find a gooden

Depends on what you class as high miles 125k on the one im working on now 130k on the one in my red truck both sweet as you like no smoke at all i wouldnt think 200k+ on one of these engines would be a problem as for the vauxhall unit they are shite wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.
Last car i bought with what i sold bits for and what i weighed in engine cost me a shade over £30 cant get better value than that :)

• mudman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2013 22:56 #77313 by mudman
Replied by mudman on topic What Diesel engines fit
one of my mates keeps trying to talk me in to puting a 2.8 isuzu lump in mine but as i keep telling him yes it would pull like a train but id be fitting +4 springs to get a +2 lift :lol:

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2013 06:46 #77323 by Dave cc
2.8 would be good I reckon if you could make room for the gearbox as regards weight you could prob run a 2 inch I/D spring inside you existing spring as a weight helper I have done this before on trucks works well.
The little 1.7 Isuzu with some tweaks will make anything from between 110bhp and 125 bhp which is pretty much where the 2.8 unit is but obviously wouldn't make the torque of its bigger brother

• markspend01
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2013 09:12 - 20 Jul 2013 12:48 #77329 by markspend01
Replied by markspend01 on topic What Diesel engines fit
Hey Guys my name is Mark.Well i think that 3.9 cummins diesel engine will quickly get fixed. This engine can create a 200 HP and a 400 ft lbs of twisting.Thanks!!

S-Type Load Cells
Last edit: 20 Jul 2013 12:48 by markspend01 .

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2013 11:49 #77336 by Dave cc
Think the other thing that makes the Isuzu 1.7 excellent is it can run on bio diesel or strained chip fat if you want it really doesn't care what it gets fed within reason.

• zuki andy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2013 11:50 #77337 by zuki andy
Replied by zuki andy on topic What Diesel engines fit
Would the 2.0l td from a vitara not be a good choice?

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2013 12:01 - 17 Jul 2013 12:05 #77338 by Dave cc
Have looked at them think its actually XUD Pug Diesel yeah guess it could be made to fit getting the vitara gearbox in may be fun as a lot bigger that a Jimny would think some remodelling of the floor would be called for
Then of course you would need custom propshafts and defo need to uprate front spring as XUD is large and very heavy and not forgetting new engine mounts and chassis platforms And then there is the cost of buying the unit and box they seem fairly few and far between so tend to demand big money £800+ just for the engine without the gearbox with saying all that im sure it could be done if you had the inclination
Last edit: 17 Jul 2013 12:05 by Dave cc.

• zuki andy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2013 13:23 #77342 by zuki andy
Replied by zuki andy on topic What Diesel engines fit
I know the swb had the pug engine in. I was meaning the engine from a lwb circa 1998, anyway just googled it and it turns out to be a Mazda engine. :( I think the engine you've choose is the best option. :)

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds