BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What did you do to your jimny today?

More
11 Jul 2020 16:11 #224835 by Soeley
Not seen one that flexible before. The one I was using looped out too much and the extra length was wound around the gear stick gaiter to hide it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2020 20:07 #224841 by jackonlyjack
Fitting 26 spline side gears in front diff

Will finish up tomorrow.
My first time in the diff not to bad of a job.

Better with WhatsApp support thanks Lads
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2020 07:26 - 13 Jul 2020 09:02 #224866 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic What did you do to your jimny today?

CC Baxter wrote: Looks good George, looks like it grew there.
The benefits may take a little while to show themselves. Chris

I forgot to weigh the original battery yesterday when taking the photos.
On the bathroom scales, the original battery is ~12kg, the new battery is ~14kg. :)

Test Drive!

Key on, the Car booted up ok, the Dashboard gave full daylight Illumination, the Clock in the dash, we're still waiting.. (Edit, now fixed!)
Started up instantly, drove perfectly well up to the shops.
Return journey, NO dashboard illumination, so I selected the service menu.
I monitored the voltage for the trip home, lo14s all the way until turning right into my street, then 13s, hi 12s, then right into my driveway, mid 12s.
There were no 14.4V or 12.1V readings, the charging range has now closed up a little.

Conclusion: While a bigger battery is better, 58 vs 46AH, it has only made a small difference to my driving situation.
DO NOT rush out and buy one of these for your Gen4 Jimny, however when battery replacement time comes, please consider these more hi-tech batteries in the money part of the decision process!
Last edit: 13 Jul 2020 09:02 by GeorgeC. Reason: Test Drive! Clock now fixed!

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2020 06:02 - 17 Jul 2020 06:11 #225205 by GeorgeC
After The Test Drive:

A little more information.
I was disappointed in the fact that the battery was not instantly compatible with the charging system after the car booted up.
After driving on Monday and Yesterday the battery resting voltage this afternoon is 12.87V.
While this is quite good, it is only 0.07V above the voltage out of the cardboard box, after spending 3 weeks in transit from Melbourne.

I have asked Suzuki to look into how to make the charging system recognise the EFB Battery and charge it appropriately. More later..

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jul 2020 06:11 by GeorgeC.

More
17 Jul 2020 07:01 - 17 Jul 2020 07:03 #225211 by mlines
12.87 volts in rest sounds perfect?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 17 Jul 2020 07:03 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

More
17 Jul 2020 07:39 #225214 by Reason2doubt
If I have learnt anything recently when testing batteries and swapping alternators... 12.8 is the upper end of where it should be. 12.87 seems slightly better still!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

More
17 Jul 2020 08:15 #225219 by DrRobin
Without seeing the battery spec I would have thought that a resting voltage of 12.8V was normal.

Voltage is not a very good indicator of charge for example 12.8V might be 100%, 12.6V might be 80% and 12.5V might be less than 50%.

I assume you measured it on the terminals, but remember that there will still be some current flowing with the car unlocked and bonnet up and this will give you a slightly lower reading. All of this is slightly different to a battery out of the box with nothing connected.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jul 2020 03:26 - 25 Jul 2020 04:54 #225602 by GeorgeC

GeorgeC wrote: After The Test Drive: A little more information.
I was disappointed in the fact that the battery was not instantly compatible with the charging system after the car booted up.
After driving on Monday and Yesterday the battery resting voltage this afternoon is 12.87V.
While this is quite good, it is only 0.07V above the voltage out of the cardboard box, after spending 3 weeks in transit from Melbourne.
I have asked Suzuki to look into how to make the charging system recognise the EFB Battery and charge it appropriately. More later..

Thank you all for the response and comments to the above post.

During the week I had a chat with a retired Suzuki Service Manager, he is also and a Jimny owner/driver and mechanic. His expectations for a traditional lead/acid Battery is a resting voltage of 12.8V with a healthy alternator/charging system. However for the new EFB Battery he said I should be seeing 13.0-13.2V under the same conditions.

Today, Saturday, my weekly Voltage check:
New EFB Battery in the Car: 12.80V
Original Battery on the bench: 12.76V

The Voltage in the car is now what I would expect after each drive, a net loss of 0.1-0.2V.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2020 04:54 by GeorgeC.

• AdDeTa
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jul 2020 06:14 #225605 by AdDeTa
Replied by AdDeTa on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
Nothing but think about it :laugh: still waiting on a delivery of metal so I can make a start on a few bits :whistle:

More
25 Jul 2020 14:30 #225635 by JodieMarie22
Today I have started to rust proof the underneath, starting with the front. By 'me' I mean I mainly watched his majesty at work but the bits I did I managed to not cock up (like last time). Looks better with black wheel arches ;)
Attachments:

More
26 Jul 2020 16:21 #225704 by Soeley
Today I have fixed mr roof and had to put the standard antenna base back on. This was the result of not realising the garage door was fully up when I put her to bed last night.
I will have to just leave the whip off for now, which won't be a problem now I am not commuting to work.

Attachments:

More
Time to create page: 0.430 seconds