BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What did you do to your jimny today?

More
20 Jun 2020 20:19 - 20 Jun 2020 20:20 #223800 by Scimike
I did think it needed a pad to reduce the step a little, but as I said I am not versed in off road mods and I am of an age that needs comfort. :laugh:
Should hold you firm over the rough stuff, looks good.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 20 Jun 2020 20:20 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2020 11:23 #223817 by Reason2doubt
Prepped the car for the long 1300 mile trip which begins tonight!

Inverter in the car working great hooked up to the leisure battery - tested it with a 1000w angle grinder and cut off the rear seat bolts that poke out the wheel arches and no problems. This will charge our various devices properly rather than the somewhat temperamental cigarette lighter.

12V cooler installed - actually got it from my dad and I took it apart to fix and clean and put it back together with a new silicone seal on the lid - works a treat.

File Attachment:

Looks a bit overkill for the journey there considering its motorways - kind of want to see how it handles it so when we return from Italy we can take our time and spend a week driving back rather than a few days - use the tent more, go up to the alps etc...

More
21 Jun 2020 11:37 #223818 by Old Neil

Reason2doubt wrote: Prepped the car for the long 1300 mile trip which begins tonight!

Inverter in the car working great hooked up to the leisure battery - tested it with a 1000w angle grinder and cut off the rear seat bolts that poke out the wheel arches and no problems. This will charge our various devices properly rather than the somewhat temperamental cigarette lighter.

12V cooler installed - actually got it from my dad and I took it apart to fix and clean and put it back together with a new silicone seal on the lid - works a treat.

Looks a bit overkill for the journey there considering its motorways - kind of want to see how it handles it so when we return from Italy we can take our time and spend a week driving back rather than a few days - use the tent more, go up to the alps etc...

Nice set up, who's the maker of your front bumper, were did you get it, have you changed rear bumper as well?
Neil

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

More
21 Jun 2020 15:02 - 21 Jun 2020 15:03 #223822 by Reason2doubt
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo just the front.

It's named 'Raptor' front bumper here in the UK which you can get for an eye-popping £600 (I DO NOT recommend buying this!):

If you are patient, you can also buy it for £100 + shipping direct from China through Alibaba.com - need to search around for a seller + price.

Otherwise, if you have the tools I'd have a go at making one yourself.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2020 15:03 by Reason2doubt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Neil

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jun 2020 20:40 #223840 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic Re:What did you do to your jimny today?
Why, and what would you recommend ? I ask because I think it's super looking !
Gaz

More
23 Jun 2020 16:09 #223901 by BGBrit
I'm a bit late wishing you a good journey,,, Good luck anyway...

Tony.

More
24 Jun 2020 11:34 #223940 by Reason2doubt

TillymintDLG wrote: Why, and what would you recommend ? I ask because I think it's super looking !
Gaz

I do recommend the bumper, just not at the price it is listed for in the UK. It is a bit of a faff to fit with some bending and gentle taps of the hammer. It comes with no instructions and there are random brackets in the box which I didn't use, stored for a while in case their use became apparent, then I threw them away 6 months later.

Don't get me wrong, the bumper is good and it is built well with good welding and very reasonable metal thickness - weights about 20kg *I think* so won't flatten your springs like some of the other home-made bumpers you see being knocked up (mind, that is mainly those I see on Facebook groups. There are some cracking fabricators on this site and they nail the bumper design).

There is matching rear bumpers to go with this kind of design - no doubt you could order them together from China. I have read somewhere that these are a bit less painful to install and basically just fit straight away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TillymintDLG

More
27 Jun 2020 13:49 - 27 Jun 2020 13:50 #224085 by Reason2doubt
Got my front shocks fixed by a nice Italian garage.

Problem: Shock bust through its housing on a very badly potholed road in Italy travelling about 90-110km/h!

File Attachment:

Solution was to weld top and bottom up using some fabricated steel 'washers'. The shock bushes and cones were destroyed but the shock itself was still OK. The mechanic used a pair of normal washers and some suspension bushes from a fiat 500. He even gave me some spare bushes for the future knowing I would have to return to GB at some point. The Jimny is a little bit Italian now!

File Attachment:

I also got the other side checked over and it was found to also be a bit weakened so it received similar treatment:

File Attachment:

The guy was very nice - despite the language barrier and wearing face masks, you could tell his enthusiasm for 4x4's. Soon after payment he took me to the side of the garage where he showed me his gorgeous 1996 fully kitted out Nissan Patrol. Lovely looking car and far more solid than the Jimmers, but at 4.2 Litre... I'm not surprised he doesn't daily drive it!
Last edit: 27 Jun 2020 13:50 by Reason2doubt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TillymintDLG

More
27 Jun 2020 20:25 #224108 by 300bhpton
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
01 Jul 2020 08:16 #224327 by Reason2doubt
Bust the other front shock mount, this time on the Axle - seems to have twisted off...

Back into a different little local mechanic in Italy. Bloody roads here are proving too much for the aged metal on the underside of my car...

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jul 2020 08:26 #224328 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
I'm sure it will be sorted but not a nice thing to happen on Holiday!
Good Luck
Gaz

More
01 Jul 2020 12:56 - 01 Jul 2020 17:07 #224334 by Reason2doubt
Shock mount reinforced by local garage. Turns out they are extremely familiar with Suzuki's - the owner and both mechanics used to race Suzuki Samurai's, Jimny's and Mitshubishi Pajeros around the world in various rallies.

He said it was a very common place for them to fail - I tend to agree as every point of contact on the front shocks (top or bottom) has had work on them!

Here's it getting put back together after having 6mm metal welded onto the bracket:

File Attachment:

Here's a quick snap of some in-action photos I could see (amongst loads of trophies and medals) located above the workshop area.

File Attachment:

He recommended that I put in a 1.6 Vitara engine and offered to source one for me in the time we are staying here! If I come back here (highly likely as this is where my partner's parents are), I might take him up on that offer! They knew the Suzuki's inside out from working on them to rallying them. Very happy.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 17:07 by Reason2doubt.

Time to create page: 0.404 seconds