BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What did you do to your jimny today?

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2020 14:52 #221378 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
Re: Got my 4WD system working again on my '05.
UPDATE
Decided to replace the link plug with a button on the dash, advantage is if the garage decides
to 'try' it in 4WD, I can switch off the feed from the vacuum switch to the controller, which
will stop it going into 4WD (Flashing light!).. So bought a 2nd hand Heated R window switch off Epay and
was going to fit it on the R/H side of the 4WD switch panel, where there is a big round blank, but thought
that was too tempting to press! So had a look in the parts catalogue and see what should go in the blanked
hole that is in the Fog light panel and it turns out it's a 'coin tray'!

So, had a look on Epay for a 2nd hand Fog light switch, and luckily, found that it was the same switch body as
(I know I'm going on a bit here but you are the only guys I can talk to {Live on my own/Cabin lockdown fever etc..)
the switch I've already got, Bonus! So soldered some tails onto the contacts to find out which pin did what

With the help of the wiring diags...

and decided not to bother with the 'ON' light or illumination, but just have it as a push-to-close switch.
Made up a harness and literally took me 5 mins to fit....

And Bingo, it works too!

I'll get my coat.....
Gaz
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2020 16:12 #221383 by Reason2doubt
Ordered a second hand black carpet from an 06 model breaking on ebay. Arrived very quickly. Tore off all the thick insulation on the bottom otherwise the new floor panels that were welded in would quickly disappear once any damp gets settled in.

Plan is to order some rubberised soundproofing and have the carpet sit on that instead.

Steam cleaned and washed ready for install next week.

File Attachment:
upload image free upload

More
23 Apr 2020 18:33 #221434 by RumbleAndSway
Wind deflectors. Other that the front speaker upgrade I’m done.
Attachments:

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2020 20:08 #221441 by TillymintDLG
Lashing D Ring Tie Downs Trailer Anchors Points
Just ordered these, seems to be from the UK but you never know do you?

I want to put 2 on the boot 'kick plate' but
It looks like they are M7 x 1, instead of M8 x 1.25 thread...

So...

Now they are....

Gaz
Attachments:

More
24 Apr 2020 07:57 #221457 by RainerK
The thread is some UNC. I did almost the same as you but I used a M8 helicoil and greased the drill and thread cutter so that I did not get too much metal flakes into the car to prevent corrosion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TillymintDLG

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Apr 2020 10:17 #221459 by TillymintDLG
Well, I am now educated again Rainer! UNC thread on a Japanese car !!

• Stoveltramp
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2020 22:13 - 25 Apr 2020 22:15 #221503 by Stoveltramp
Replied by Stoveltramp on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
Well I did nothing, but slept in Jimny for the first time on my trip ;-)
Last edit: 25 Apr 2020 22:15 by Stoveltramp.

More
25 Apr 2020 22:22 - 25 Apr 2020 22:23 #221504 by Reason2doubt
Now the car's all welded up as well as painted, I started lining the boot with sound insulation. It's 5mm thick malleable rubber coated in 1mm aluminium foil. I rollered it into the floor and wheel arches then got the side panels back on. For reference, I used half a pack of this stuff:

www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/stinger-roadkill...dening-material.html

So, in total, I used approx 18sq feet with some minor overlap.

Here's a few pics:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

All put back together:
File Attachment:

I did a circuit of my neighbourhood which is up/down a hill trying to keep driving consistent (which was pretty easy given that there was no cars around). I recorded a 7-decibel drop in max noise and 4-decibel drop on average over the journey. My back box is blowing so I expect this reading to drop a fair bit after I fix that too, but it was audibly quieter.

Tomorrow I'll take the seats out, line the floor with a double layer on the transmission tunnel. Then it's in with the new carpet I bought and some new floor mats on top of that. Finally getting the inside of the car feeling like a proper car now instead of a tin can. I still have another full box so if I have enough spare I might think about getting the roof lined (as I think member Keithy and Ricky) did?
Last edit: 25 Apr 2020 22:23 by Reason2doubt.

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2020 05:09 #221510 by TillymintDLG
Great photo! I can't wait to get away like this!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Apr 2020 05:21 #221511 by Lambert

Stoveltramp wrote: Well I did nothing, but slept in Jimny for the first time on my trip ;-)

Self isolating in the woods, brilliant idea. I bet that is really peaceful and serene.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Apr 2020 21:23 #221542 by Reason2doubt
Long day installing sound deadening panels in the front, lots of odd shaped bits and cuts. Filled the front doors and rear boot door too.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

New carpet back in with chairs all steam cleaned and hoovered. 06 carpet was push button so had to cut out a hole for low range gear lever.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Got 3/4 of a box left - next I will try and do the roof. It has helped massively - the noise level is greatly reduced with the engine sounding like a subtle humming rather than shaking various body panels.

More
29 Apr 2020 07:39 - 29 Apr 2020 07:39 #221634 by kirkynut
This sound proofing is not cheap is it? I've considered it before and may well do kn the future, given you are pleased with it.

Which stuff did you use please?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 29 Apr 2020 07:39 by kirkynut.

Time to create page: 0.432 seconds