BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What did you do to your jimny today?

More
09 Feb 2013 21:44 #61804 by kirkynut

Smoggy wrote: a little 'pimple' on the tip.

Ooo er missus!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nicho
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 12:24 #61890 by nicho
Replied by nicho on topic What did you do to your jimny today
put charged up battery back on, started it drove it back and forth on drive parked in a different place so dont get flat spots on tyres ,when revs were low after a few minutes bat light came on soon as u give sightly more revs it goes off. :unsure:

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 17:44 #61964 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: What did you do to your jimny today
Fitted one front disk and set of pads before freezing rain stopped play :dry:

More
10 Feb 2013 18:21 #61980 by dirtydogz
Ok it was time to change the kingpins so it was off down to Martins (BIG JIMNY SHOP) to pick up two new sets of king pins bearings+oil seals + waterproof grease + copper silicone sealant.
This was my first time at replacing the king pins, so I down loaded the (how to? guide) from this forum and printed it off, then I just got on with doing the job.
I even removed the bolts on the backing plate, so I could copper grease the bolts as you need to remove them if your are place the wheel bearings at a later date (you can do the job with out removing the bolts and leave the back plate in place .)
I've only replaced the driver's side at the moment as that side was leaking oil and the weather was so bad, rain and snow.
The top bearing was OK but the lower one was a right mess some of the top of the bearing was missing so the bearing started to disintegrate, here are some photos to look at,so if yours are leaking oil this is the time to replace them.

The job the takes about 2 hour and that was my first go at doing the kingpins, so if you have a go just take your time.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:

More
10 Feb 2013 18:56 #61991 by fast forward
thats good going started to do mine and couldnt get some bolts out even after heating them up then came up against the ABS sensor and wire couldnt get this bolt out either bolt head corroded and rounded off . so put it all back together with the new discs and pads will leave king pins till a later date gave snow warning out so need car ! :angry:

if you cant go round it go over it ! or vice versa ?

• SteBurns
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 19:11 #61993 by SteBurns
Replied by SteBurns on topic What did you do to your jimny today
This weekend...

- I've removed the cone filter that the previous owner had fitted, and replaced it with the original airbox.

- I've put the Jimny back to 2WD manually because the vacuum hoses need replacing.

- I've bought some black Hammerite so that I can re-paint my tatty wheels.

Next up... Discs and pads. Can anyone recommend some good cheap(ish) ones that will be fine for everyday road use? I'll probably use eBay!

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 19:24 #61996 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: What did you do to your jimny today

SteBurns wrote: Next up... Discs and pads. Can anyone recommend some good cheap(ish) ones that will be fine for everyday road use? I'll probably use eBay!

Eurocarparts do Pagid brake parts which seem to get good reviews. Just got a set for myself.

• SteBurns
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 19:31 #62001 by SteBurns
Replied by SteBurns on topic Re: What did you do to your jimny today
Did you use their own website or eBay, or another method?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 20:58 #62027 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: What did you do to your jimny today
I got dirty with mine then had to have a good clean up after

• Dave n lincs
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 22:16 #62059 by Dave n lincs
Replied by Dave n lincs on topic Re: What did you do to your jimny today
Today was very productive I fitted my engine back in, fitted my steering system, fitted fuel tank and fuel lines, made up all new brake pipes and fitted, fitted extended hoses, fitted new bushes in rear suspension arms and fitted back onto vehicle, fitted rear ora dislocation plates. Ooh and fitted the bracket for load sensing valve. All was nice and easy with the body off.

• jimnybob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 22:21 #62064 by jimnybob
Replied by jimnybob on topic Re: What did you do to your jimny today
changed side light bulbs
Attachments:

More
10 Feb 2013 22:31 #62066 by Mud_Muppet
Well today I mostly looked at my jimny working out if it was worth going out in the rain to finish changing the front wheel bearings, then remembered I had a packet of jammy dodgers in the Jimny, so went and sat in it and ate jammy-ds,

still didn't do the wheel bearings

2001 Red Tin Top,
4.5 inch ORA lift kit,
Pro Comp steering damper
Kap Winch Bumper,
White Weller offset Rims with 30" Insa Turbo Special Tracks,
CB Radio,
Stripped Interia
Roof Rack with 4 front Wipac,
Rear Wipac recovery Lights
.....Plenty more on its way !!!!

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds