BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What did you do to your jimny today?

More
12 Jun 2022 18:25 - 12 Jun 2022 18:26 #243681 by Scimike
I am getting too old for this, it now requires pain killers the day after 

Spent all day Saturday under the Jimny. Full engine / gearbox / transfer case / axle service. Nothing much to report other than my own paranoia for microscopic fuzz stuck to the axle drain magnet. Good job this forum can knock sense into me before I spend cash on snake oil cures for a problem that doesn't exist.

I then fitted front Koni heavy track dampers to match the rears I fitted 12months ago, interesting that the front OEM shocks had failed also (like the rears), but you could only tell once they had been removed from the vehicle. Very poor damping, it's an age thing!

Then I topped up the waxoyl.....please to report it's doing a cracking job, worth the effort.

I also checked my refurbish swivels, all still like new. That POR-15 paint is proving to be worth the money. No rust, not peeled off or signs of wear, good stuff.

That's it for another 2 years until the transmission service is due. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jun 2022 18:26 by Scimike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2022 21:37 #243682 by Basketcase
That looks great underneath. I have just picked up a jimny 54 reg convertible no rust on the body in the usual spots but the axles and bits have the usual rust what’s this por-15 stuff you speak of? Might need a touch of that and a few wire brushes in the near future!

More
13 Jun 2022 16:47 #243698 by Scimike
Thanks,

POR-15 is expensive stuff. The good news is a little goes a long way and if applied correctly is one of the best I've found. It's rock hard once set, to that end it won't come off your hands and you need a grinder to remove from metal (or hands) 
IF you want to try it get the small can, link below. You need to keep the can in the fridge and only remove a little paint into a throw away container, and be prepared to throw away your paint brush also. Keep the can lid very clean or it will "paint" itself shut, hence it's not a paint that's easy to keep once opened.

As far as I can tell only Frost import it.

www.frost.co.uk/por15-113ml-rust-prev/?g...4SPyVjIaAi5aEALw_wcB

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
19 Jul 2022 13:37 #244152 by DrRobin
 I took advantage of the warm weather with little wind to spray the front of the bonnet.

I still have some more 'cutting back' to do, then will have to wait a few days before applying a layer of lacquer.  Then there are a number of other areas that need a touch up.

I did the passenger side panel a couple of weeks ago, but took it off and did it in the shed.

Just in case anyone is interested here is a photo of the location of the plastic 'fir tree' clips.

I used these to get the panel off, didn't break any clips, but put a small crack in one of the supports, easily glued back with a bit of epoxy.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Jul 2022 19:15 #244340 by Lambert
Today I have been mostly putting bigger speakers in the rear foot wells. Ended up with a pair of kicker 6 3/4 inch round instead of 6x9s. A few tweaks to the fader and high and low filters and I think I am making progress. Definitely richer and smoother and I feel like it's not working as hard. I am now obviously considering the work involved in a front upsize too. I did it to the last one but it needed the kick plates shaving and I am not sure if I want to do that again. These kickers are quite shallow though which is good but there's quite a lot of harness running round the front locations and clearing that while maintaining rigidity and not putting a screw where it is not needed while contorted under the dashboard it a bit of a task. We'll see what happens at the weekend.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
03 Aug 2022 18:34 #244393 by yakuza
Changing the front shaft seals and king pin bearings.

Top left in the picture is my too small garage TV with Martins YouTube video on the subject, and bottom right my jimny and me trying to find out what I missed. 

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Attachments:

More
06 Aug 2022 11:13 - 06 Aug 2022 13:28 #244413 by LM42
Well didn't do it, but a nice man called Keith, fitted a m15a vvt into my jimny , mines a 2003 so it's a mix of m13a /m15a, goes Very well! Thank you James and Keith! GV42 Flo is next!

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk
Last edit: 06 Aug 2022 13:28 by LM42.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Aug 2022 11:28 #244414 by Lambert
Today I have been mostly putting bass blocker capacitors in my front speaker feeds. Slightly on the high side at .8 micro farrad means a cut off about 2khz but they are what I have and more importantly the fronts are only 100mm so it's not too bad. It means that I can fade forward again and allow the DSO to lift the sound stage out of the foot well for the higher range which makes it sound better. Obviously all the bass from the 165mm's and the under seat sub is all focused on my lower spine but feeling bass in your bum is not the worst thing in the world. On the whole it's starting to sound like a fairly competent system now, it makes passers by look up anyway.

More
09 Aug 2022 17:23 #244465 by Soeley
Although I didn't make it ti the North Meet, I have got round to cleaning my Jimny and putting the window sticker in.

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
More
24 Aug 2022 12:27 #244724 by Lambert
Today well yesterday actually, I managed to set a new personal best; 22.8 miles to a gallon of BPs finest. Admittedly I did 120 miles with the twin axle on the back full of sale sheep and some of the miles were in low range off road. So yeah generally quite impressive, for an automatic. As a contrast the cruiser did about 18 mpg with the big trailer on so all is good.

More
25 Aug 2022 08:09 #244732 by Mike G
Wasn't today, but a couple of days ago, I finally got round to sorting out an airbag warning light on the dash.  Turned out that the clock spring behind the steering wheel had disconnected from one end. I managed to repair it though.  Burned back some of the plastic insulation of the ribbon cable, exposed the three contacts, cleaned them up and soldered them back on.  M\ust have been damaged by me spinning the wheel too far round when I had the steering disconnected for putting the body lift on.

Also, the wiper stalk only had 2 settings, the third (high speed) had stopped working.  I took it off and had a look inside it, but there was no obvious damage and all the tracks (that I could trace) seemed to connect to the pins, so I put it all back together again and refitted it.  Low and behold it worked.  I think it must have been a bad connection to the steering column, so when I screwed it it, it seated correctly.  Must have just loosened off over the years.  Another decent saving made just by having a look.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

More
25 Aug 2022 08:12 #244733 by Mike G
Yesterday, I decided to fit a new mechless stereo to the jimny as the old one was having trouble receiving and staying tuned to radio stations.  I never used the cd player anyway.  Works a treat and is much nicer to use.  Next job on the list is to fit the amp and sub, however, that will be a bit more involved running wiring in.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

Time to create page: 0.433 seconds