BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What did you do to your jimny today?

More
01 Sep 2021 04:31 - 01 Sep 2021 04:33 #238088 by Reason2doubt
Over the bank holiday weekend I managed to get the car prepared and painted with Raptor.

Overall, as my first time doing anything like this, I could have done it quicker but very much enjoyed doing it slowly and trying to pace myself.

Here's a few pictures of the car getting masked up to cover windows/plastics/trim etc...

We still wanted the Jimny to be green, so we took some inspiration from Google with the following colour we found:

Painting begins...operating under the guidance of Keith on BigJimny using a gravity gun and thinned Raptor for smoother finish. 

Apart from one little mishap where the lid fell off the gravity gun and paint sloshed out down the A-pillar and door, it all went well! The finish is exactly as I was hoping and the coverage is great. There are bits I plan to touch up once it's cured, such as the front wings, inside the wings (deter rust...), back inner-boot and another coat in the inner door sills. 

Next, Keith's arches will go back on once they've been raptor painted in black along with the front bumper (it also needs a slight trim on the edges) and a few other bits to put back like wing mirrors and roof sill covers. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Sep 2021 04:33 by Reason2doubt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2021 09:32 #238103 by Dirtbird
lovey job man looks great. did you use an adjustable applicator ?

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
01 Sep 2021 09:49 #238104 by Reason2doubt
Hi Dirtbird. I used a gravity feed gun from Amazon (also available on eBay) around £20 and thinned the paint out about 15% by volume.

I won't link to the ebay gun as when I ordered it, it was gifted to me from Amazon for less - it had a 1.8mm and 2.5mm nozzle. Not a fantastic gun all in all I suspect but it did the trick! I used Upol System 20 thinner.

More
01 Sep 2021 22:08 #238135 by Dirtbird
R2D Thanks for that. I was looking at youtube and have noticed that you can influence the texture of raptor using a variable nozzle . 

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2021 13:46 #238184 by MrPaynterZA
Replied by MrPaynterZA on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
I have been a bit "splurgy" this week and after getting the Des Sol 50mm lift installed complete with all of the castor correction bushings, extended break lines and adjustable panhard bars etc I have also up-sized my tyres from the 205/70R15s to the 215/80R15s today.

No great photos as I'm back in the office, but I will try get them dirty soon!

Attachments:

More
04 Sep 2021 04:52 - 04 Sep 2021 08:19 #238198 by lookonimages

MrPaynterZA wrote: I have been a bit "splurgy" this week and after getting the Des Sol 50mm lift installed complete with all of the castor correction bushings, extended break lines and adjustable panhard bars etc I have also up-sized my tyres from the 205/70R15s to the 215/80R15s today.

No great photos as I'm back in the office, but I will try get them dirty soon!

Looking awesome. I am sure you will enjoy the install as much as me. I still believe that it was absolutely the best upgrade I did.

One last thing. Check yòur tire pressures. 2bar is to hard. 1.7bar (170kpa) I found the jimny to be incredible ride with the stiffer springs/shocks. Experiment a bìt.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Last edit: 04 Sep 2021 08:19 by lookonimages.

More
05 Sep 2021 19:16 #238248 by mlines
Continued with fitting a satnav from a scrap car

Sent from my motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
07 Sep 2021 19:37 #238320 by Dirtbird
Did the king pin bearings and seals 
and started rebuilding the chassis 

Attachments:

More
07 Sep 2021 19:43 - 07 Sep 2021 19:46 #238321 by Dirtbird
Got the chassis rolling very hot in the shed today up on 28Deg C but on the home straight now 

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Sep 2021 19:46 by Dirtbird.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, Riccy, Reason2doubt

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Sep 2021 09:03 #238462 by Lambert
Just had this idea to check the caliper slides on the front of Temeraire. Glad I did, the near side was OKish but the off side was definitely beginning to stiffen. This is on 12900 miles. So just check your own, you may be glad you did. Also when you put the caliper back in place I found that using a feeler gauge or similar is a good way of stopping the rubber bellows from binding on the bolt hole on the carrier.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2021 17:31 #238799 by MrPaynterZA
Replied by MrPaynterZA on topic Re:What did you do to your jimny today?
Fun little drive through some local sugarcane fields.
Attachments:

• Sean65
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Sep 2021 12:56 #238821 by Sean65
Replied by Sean65 on topic Re:What did you do to your jimny today?
 Not technically on my Jimny but I have found a Jimny in the local breaker. Full seat set, inner wings, front bumper plus bits of plastic and many a wheel nut and bolt.  And the bonus of a genuine driver’s manual. 
A good couple of hours work I reckon. 

Time to create page: 0.577 seconds