BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What did you do to your jimny today?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Jul 2021 12:33 #237200 by Lambert
Brought Spare Jimny in for a service. Only done about 3k but maintenance is maintenance.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
31 Jul 2021 12:41 #237202 by Lambert
So you know how it is, without comparison things become normalised. Having just driven Spare Jimny for the first time in a few months it seems that the brake pedal on Temeraire has more travel than Spare, hand brake is worse too. So back wheels off and the drums. 4 additional clicks on the driver side and 6 clicks on the passenger side. Much better. Does beg the question of why Suzuki bothered with a automatic adjustment mechanism as it's patently useless.

More
31 Jul 2021 15:10 #237206 by Dirtbird
Welding in some new support for headlights and some sections under the headlights.
Would love to be heading off somewhere in it this weekend any way the list is getting shorter day by day , evening by evening .........

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

More
31 Jul 2021 17:28 #237208 by Roger Fairclough
My LC had auto adjust on the rear brakes but they would over adjust and then seize. I converted them to manual adjust and no more problems. 2-3 clicks every 6 months was all the adjustment they needed.

Roger

More
06 Aug 2021 19:50 #237351 by Dirtbird
Started working on the underside today .......

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
07 Aug 2021 21:23 #237374 by Reason2doubt
Today was a productive day. I sorted out the left-hand rear wheel arch which needed 8 patches (!) in the wheel arch itself and then welded around the outer edge. All ground back and then lathered in seam sealer - the nice thing about the arches I'm putting on is that it won't be in direct contact with any mud or water that gets slung off from the wheels. Welded the small squares where the original arches clip into and then filled them for sanding tomorrow.

Moved to the other side of the car and sanded the filler and gave it a quick spray of primer to protect it until raptor paint later in the month.

I was in contact with Keith to figure out the rear corner piece of the bumper and sometime later managed to cut it to fit and got it all screwed on.

Tomorrow I need to re-make the left rear body mount. I will see what I have time for after that! Much thanks to Keith again for his time answering my silly questions! I owe you a pint (or a few!).
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
08 Aug 2021 16:51 - 08 Aug 2021 16:52 #237408 by Dirtbird
Finished the welding. Hit the rust with a wire wheel and a flap disc and got the rust converter on. During the week hope to spray the underbody white, and then stone chip protection and wait for the chassis to come back from blaster and galvanisers. 

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Aug 2021 16:52 by Dirtbird.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
14 Aug 2021 17:28 #237551 by Lambert
Today I cleaned my stereo. I now have a good clean bump well into the 40s instead of a dirty bounce from about 10. So much nicer!

Music. If you can't feel it in your chest it isn't loud enough!

More
15 Aug 2021 18:52 #237576 by Reason2doubt
This weekend I've finally finished off the rear bumper. I had to put in a middle U section and then a piece to fill in the hole in the boot where the jack usually goes. 

Quick test fit: 

Some adjustments, welded and ground down: 

Seam-sealed:

Next, the boot floor. A quick template to get the curvature of the hole I cut: 

A rough-cut piece to fit in: 

A few more strategic cuts to make life easier:

Tacked into place and then later welded some more and seam-sealed:

Next, I think it's time to finish the left side and get some of Keith's arches on! 
Attachments:

More
26 Aug 2021 17:35 - 26 Aug 2021 17:41 #237904 by Scimike
Gave it the yearly underbody rust inspection, and I found some starting.
Interestingly it's one of the known G3 rust spots, the sills, but it's not rotting from the inside out. It's the rubbish seam sealer that's trapped moisture from the outside, luckily just surface rust at the moment so soon sorted.
Four patches in total, all much the same, front and rear of each sill.
Here's the rear spot (rust removed) just before it gets a coat of buzzweld. The seam sealer peeled away by hand to reveal the rust below, chased it back until the rust stopped
Happy to report the rest is doing well, the wax coating is doing its job.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Aug 2021 17:41 by Scimike. Reason: Auto correct

More
28 Aug 2021 07:11 #237941 by Dirtbird
Nice work very tidy. Bet you spent a good cup of tea looking at the progress. Very satisfying when you have a go at it and it turns out so well. 

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2021 10:18 #237949 by MrPaynterZA
Replied by MrPaynterZA on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
Added some of the interior storage trays to my Gen 4.
The tray above the clocks as well as the tray for the space between the centre console and gear shift. 

Very happy with both and happy I purchased them directly from Ebay (out of China) for a little over half the price offered by the usual resellers.

Time to create page: 0.628 seconds