BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What did you do to your jimny today?

More
04 Mar 2020 08:19 #219358 by Reason2doubt

DrRobin wrote: Went off road for the first time, in preparation for the Big Jimny meeting.

Well I say off road it is a designated 4x4 track in Slayley Forest. It started easy enough, gravel track, a couple of trees blown down, which my gen 3 went under and the first of the big puddles. It didn't look deep, it was, would have gone over the door sils and the engine (which I stalled), so reversed out and took a route round the side.

The next puddle was the same size but too much mud for me and if I got through it and encountered another I would be stuck, so turned round, got the back wheels stuck (had to engage low range box to get out) and went back the way I came. Not a great first off road trip and probably nothing for you guys, but we all have to start somewhere.

I know that exact lane. It is heavily damaged and is progressively getting worse. I went up on new years eve and did the same thing, 1 puddle and turned back as the next two looked deeper and wider. If you are around Northumberland area give me a PM and I can outline a few more gentle lanes for you that I started on when I got my Jimny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2020 09:13 #219363 by DrRobin
Hey that is great Reason2Doubt. I live in Northumberland [near Wylam], Slayley was handy on Sunday as I was at Derwent Reservoir. I will send you a PM, thanks.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
05 Mar 2020 21:05 #219441 by Soeley
BigJimny armrest fitted tonight. Not driven with it yet, but feels comfortable.

More
05 Mar 2020 21:08 - 05 Mar 2020 21:08 #219443 by Reason2doubt

Soeley wrote: BigJimny armrest fitted tonight. Not driven with it yet, but feels comfortable.

Looks nice that! Bet it will make those long journeys a lot more comfortable.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2020 21:08 by Reason2doubt.

More
05 Mar 2020 21:15 #219444 by Soeley
Yes it feels to sit at the same height as the elbow rest in the door card, and because the angle in the down position is adjustable, it shouldn't get in the way of gear change. In the picture I have set it level (ish) to start with, but with it dipped right down it still provides a good elbow support.

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2020 11:49 #219476 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
Fitted an armrest with a hinge lid that I had bolted to a safe in my IQ (safe won't fit in between the seats now) [and it's now too low to be an arm rest]
I found a cup holder mounting for an armrest on one of the Aliexpress site.. Just search for 'Jimny Armrest'
It cost me £4.99 + Free postage +20 day wait !

Old arm rest on new cup holder mounting box

The box comes with a slotted lid which you can remove the arm rest it is designed for...
The lid is meant to be screwed to the mounting box (what a waste of space eh?)
As I didn't have the original, I decided to hinge the lid to the box and screw my arm rest to the lid.

In place

I was going to write I can safely conceal 2x660ml cans of Woohan Corona in there now.
But decided not to...
Gaz
Attachments:

• FordPrefect1985
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2020 21:55 #219604 by FordPrefect1985
Replied by FordPrefect1985 on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
Wired in the new horns I fitted a couple of nights ago. I had thought I'd done something wrong at first till I checked the relay (came with the horns) and found dry solder joints. So I fixed those and tested the relay worked. I got everything connected, fitted the fuse and gave it a try and it worked quite well. I then heard a shout from an upstairs window, it was my other half saying I'd scared the crap out of her cat so badly it now had hiccoughs. :lol:

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2020 23:12 #219609 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
Good work :evil: :evil: :whistle:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Mar 2020 06:08 #219804 by Lambert
Today I replaced my off side kingpin bearings. What a mess. Bottom bearing inner race was in about 7 pieces and the rollers were almost spherical, the cv was essentially bereft of grease and had to be thoroughly cleaned as I suspect it had bits of bearing in it. And yet not a hint of death wobble which is odd, probably a mixture of settled springs and good dampers altering the castor angle and making it more neutral? Anyway all back together and ready for the trip to the head gasket place next week.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: TillymintDLG

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Mar 2020 06:10 #219805 by Lambert
Oh and thanks to Martin for the prompt service with the bearings, ordered Monday fitted Thursday.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Mar 2020 10:22 - 13 Mar 2020 10:24 #219815 by Scimike
So today I finished off adding all the goodies I had purchased over the last few week.

I installed my replacement dash cam in its proper location, pleased I can no longer see it.

New drivers view of dash cam.

How it looks behind the mirror. Nice unit (ddpia mini2) very easy to use with supplied app.

Could not get my STEBEL NAUTILUS "cOMPaCT" in the location of the old horn, so got the welder out and over engineered a new bracket.

All installed, very loud, just what I wanted.

Finally installed the QC30 in place of the lighter, easy to fit and no need to disassemble the fascia as I had believed.

Nice to have the battery voltage on display, easy to see if things are going wrong.

Next job is to route dash cam supply to rear door, intend to mount old Nextbase facing rear. Sorry it's all mundane stuff, but that's what's happens if it's your daily transportation and a road Princess.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Mar 2020 10:24 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TillymintDLG

More
13 Mar 2020 16:12 #219824 by Scimike
Well that was a lot easier than I expected. Now have hardwired feed to my rear door mounted dash cam. Managed to find a switched 15A live feed to the wiper motor which keeps all the wiring internal to the rear door. Fused Dash cam hardwire kit a £6 from eBay, fully bench tested by me before installation, can't fault it. If anyone is thinking of doing the same it's the Yellow / blue/ silver band wire to the wiper, it's a ignition switched +12v feed.
Smile, your are on camera..

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gusthegorilla, TillymintDLG

Time to create page: 0.421 seconds