BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What did you do to your jimny today?

More
23 Feb 2020 08:58 #218925 by Dunders
Replied by Dunders on topic 200 mile run
I must get some Aerotwins as mine are squealing big time. Nightbreakers are needed too.. are these fairly straight forward to fit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2020 10:48 - 23 Feb 2020 10:48 #218931 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic 200 mile run
Nightbreakers are a brilliant improvement and simply 'Plug 'n Play' ;)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 23 Feb 2020 10:48 by Max Headroom.

• Hypertensive Cellist
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2020 16:54 - 25 Feb 2020 16:56 #219056 by Hypertensive Cellist
Replied by Hypertensive Cellist on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
I searched this forum and for the first time in my life I actually fitted a stereo to the Jimny. I was initially nervous with the whole disconnect battery and taking off the fascia, but I managed to do this on a budget of about £125.
Kenwood Car Audio DMX125DAB 6.8 from Facebook market place. £90.00
SUZUKI JIMNY STEREO SURROUND FASCIA TRIM 2006-2017 from eBay £24.
Purchased from new, Connects2 CT23UN01 100mm surround. will be fitting that tomorrow
Next, it must be a speaker upgrade and add rear ones.
Thanks to all the previous posts on how to upgrade a double din.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Feb 2020 16:56 by Hypertensive Cellist.

More
25 Feb 2020 18:05 #219059 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic 200 mile run
My old wiper blades jumped and squealed to the point where I thought the wiper arm or motor was faulty. Aerotwins fixed that in an instant.

As MAX says, Nightbreakers are plug and play. After fitting I had to re-align my headlamps but they were probably already wrong. You can get this anytime you replace a bulb, just check it against a garage or wall before changing and if the pattern looks the same leave it as is.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dunders

More
25 Feb 2020 18:09 - 25 Feb 2020 18:10 #219061 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic 200 mile run
Just a note on the Nightbreakers -they throw more light at the sides of the road and are a huge improvement.
No real adjustment other than I've had to adjust them down very slightly on the dashboard adjustment

Nice job on that audio upgrade, Cellist!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 25 Feb 2020 18:10 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hypertensive Cellist

More
25 Feb 2020 18:14 #219062 by DrRobin
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNice.

I changed mine to a Xtrons which is a direct fit (curved corners, double DIN), but it was about 50% more. Some one had already upgraded the speakers in the front, but they weren't bolted in correctly and rattled at certain frequencies causing distortion. A couple of new bolts fixed that.

I got a real bargain for the rear speakers, a pair of JVC 4" from eBay for £13.
JVC CS-J410X 10cm 4" 210W DualCone Car Stereo Audio Speakers Door Shelf New Pair

I am not saying they would keep a real hifi nut happy, but given all of the background noise in a Jimny, I would say the sound is great, big improvement in sound quality and get the heavy rock music on loud, it sounds like Aerosmith is in the back with you.

There is a fair bit of internal trim to take off, to get access to the speakers but it is well worth it.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hypertensive Cellist

• Hypertensive Cellist
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2020 20:58 #219075 by Hypertensive Cellist
Replied by Hypertensive Cellist on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
I'm feeling more confident taking trim out without damage. (Fingers crossed)
Great price too...

More
26 Feb 2020 23:49 #219134 by kirkynut
I've tidied up some wiring in the engine bay for my larger battery, winch, winch remote and other bits I've added over time.

There's a little more to do under there but time ran out today.

I've also scraped some surface rust from my rear off-side body mount area and treated it with Kurust and will paint it tomorrow.

I got all the boot hinge bolts undone also, to be sure they can be undone tomorrow when a mate is popping over to help me change the hinges as there might be a bit of wrestling to do with the boot.

My hinges are worn from the weight of the bigger spare wheel so I got some new hinges from the Big Jimny Store a while back. I hung them up and painted them in the garage this evening, so they should be dry tomorrow after 13 or so hours.

I also tidied up some wiring under the dash. Now I'm using it daily it makes sense for everything to be neat and tidy as it makes it a great deal more pleasurable to live with and more reliable.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
27 Feb 2020 08:38 #219143 by gusthegorilla
You sound like me, Kirky...prefer this kind of work to big mods, keeps it all neat and tidy, makes the whole thing last longer...
....a little bit goes a long way :)

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!

More
27 Feb 2020 15:52 #219158 by DrRobin
The trim comes out quite easily, there is just a lot to take off, including the rear seats. Since October, I have removed the rear seats and trim several times to fit:

- rear speakers;
- tow bar (twice, once for the tow bar and again to fit the electrics, needed the car in between);
- rear boot light.

I think like some gun nut I can now do it blind fold in about half the recommended time. I found a good step by step guide with pictures, let me know if you don't have one and I will find a link.

Jimny's seem quite easy to work on, it helps there is such a good forum.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
03 Mar 2020 18:10 #219334 by DrRobin
Went off road for the first time, in preparation for the Big Jimny meeting.

Well I say off road it is a designated 4x4 track in Slayley Forest. It started easy enough, gravel track, a couple of trees blown down, which my gen 3 went under and the first of the big puddles. It didn't look deep, it was, would have gone over the door sils and the engine (which I stalled), so reversed out and took a route round the side.

The next puddle was the same size but too much mud for me and if I got through it and encountered another I would be stuck, so turned round, got the back wheels stuck (had to engage low range box to get out) and went back the way I came. Not a great first off road trip and probably nothing for you guys, but we all have to start somewhere.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
03 Mar 2020 18:45 #219337 by Riccy

DrRobin wrote: Went off road for the first time, in preparation for the Big Jimny meeting.

Well I say off road it is a designated 4x4 track in Slayley Forest. It started easy enough, gravel track, a couple of trees blown down, which my gen 3 went under and the first of the big puddles. It didn't look deep, it was, would have gone over the door sils and the engine (which I stalled), so reversed out and took a route round the side.

The next puddle was the same size but too much mud for me and if I got through it and encountered another I would be stuck, so turned round, got the back wheels stuck (had to engage low range box to get out) and went back the way I came. Not a great first off road trip and probably nothing for you guys, but we all have to start somewhere.

Nice one B) Its always good to break the virgin 'laning gently :laugh:

Actually, Slayley isnt that gentle in general. There are some issues with people going off the track (off-piste), Its best to stick to the track and always go with at least one other vehicle in-case of problems. Theres some deep holes and the weather has been fairly wet lately. The track across the moor to Blanchland is nice and open with a few rocky bits. Then if you were looking for snow you should have headed over to Rookhope and Alston areas.

There are loads of other great lanes varying from easy scenic gravel tracks to nasty buggers, fords, etc in Northumberland. Probably one of the most under-rated laning areas and one of my favourites ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.404 seconds