BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What did you do to your jimny today?

More
10 Jan 2016 19:20 #160129 by helijohn

gusthegorilla wrote:

McVicar wrote: Fitted remote central locking. Now works with a blip and the hazards flash. 21st century stuff

This has caught my eye ;)

Is there a kit available to do the job or did you just wing it in some way?

I just buy the cheap CL or CLA kits off eBay and in a nutshell connect them to the existing CL relay or fit my own add-on solenoid.

Unlike HERE CLICK ME on my Rav and Junior I linked the unit to the CL relay in the car.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2016 19:35 #160130 by gusthegorilla
Thanks a lot, John....that's left me with some serious bedtime reading....and you know how I just LOVE electrics :woohoo:

I WILL make something of it though, mate...fed up with trying to find the keyhole in the dark at 2.00 in the morning ;)

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!

More
10 Jan 2016 20:09 #160132 by helijohn

gusthegorilla wrote: Thanks a lot, John....that's left me with some serious bedtime reading....and you know how I just LOVE electrics :woohoo:

I WILL make something of it though, mate...fed up with trying to find the keyhole in the dark at 2.00 in the morning ;)

You are welcome Gus.

It is surprising how many cars come without RCL. It makes checking the motor is locked a right PITA for lots of reasons from late at night or in the car parks to opening it for a passenger.

The doors don't always have room for my own solenoid (they are dirt cheap on ebay) so I am then forced to find the OE relay and the manufacturers bury them all over the place. If you can find the Jimny one (listen for the click) then you can usually run two short wires from the install to the OE relay in no time. Find the open/close leads/connections at the OE relay using a 12v tester bulb probe.

With regard to the alarm ones I keep the alarm side very simple these days as I mainly want the flashing LED to tell me it is actually locked (activated). However the shock sensor side is good and so is the voltage detection (like the courtesy light coming on if the door is opened). I don't always link the courtesy light circuit directly to the alarm unit.

If you put the shock sensor in a carefully chosen place it can be very effective.

The CLA units are hardly more than the CL units so it is worth paying a few quid more.

If it is 2am you can set the alarm tweet tweet to silent. ;) The alarm horns are small enough to fit easily, I had one inside the rear of the car once - frighten the life out of peeps inside. :laugh:

BTW, I love electrics. except some of these latest cars are almost beyond me. Thank goodness for older motors. :laugh: It is an all day job even so. :(

Key
RCL remote central locking
CL central locking
CLA central locking alarm
OE original equipment

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2016 21:21 #160133 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re:What did you do to your jimny today
Did a diy front axle breather today out of parts I had lying around. Actually some old parts from a Watercooled computer project :)

Also almost done with the airlocker. Just need to cut the copper tube in correct length and install again :)

next thing is to reinforce the steering rod with some angled steel profile, now that the front axle is taken apart :)
Attachments:

• jewi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2016 21:33 #160134 by jewi
Replied by jewi on topic What did you do to your jimny today

Daniel30 wrote: Snorkel fitted, HD transfer box brackets,HD transfer box mounts, engine oil,differential oil,transfer box oil all changed, spark plugs, air filter and oil filter changed
(gearbox to-do) fitted homemade diff breathers
Thanks to my mechanic Mark again for all his work (I did help a bit) :)

what did you use for the diff breathers?

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2016 21:54 #160136 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Hi jewi
I used some black rubber fuel pipe it fitted a treat if I can find the left over bit tomorrow I'll measure the diameter :)

• jewi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2016 22:31 #160138 by jewi
Replied by jewi on topic What did you do to your jimny today

Daniel30 wrote: Hi jewi
I used some black rubber fuel pipe it fitted a treat if I can find the left over bit tomorrow I'll measure the diameter :)

cheers mate

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jan 2016 05:27 #160144 by Lambert
I replaced the gates power steering belt for a dayco one. It's as if gates made their's from plastic not rubber it is so hard a compound, I'm sure it would have lasted the full service interval as the boy in the shop said it would but the random squealing even at the correct tension was really gripping my nerves. The dayco may not last quite as good but it is made of actual rubber and so far it is nice and quiet.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
12 Jan 2016 15:37 - 13 Jan 2016 15:16 #160217 by Mike G
I fitted some solaplexus window tints to the rear, they weren't too hard to slide into place. I didn't need to use the sticky panel stickers as the fit was tight enough. I went for a drive and they don't move or make a noise. Just need to wait for a sunny day to see if they make a difference, could be waiting for a while.

EDIT: You can't really see it in the windows, but they look pretty good. Also, I've only done half of my 2" suspension lift, postponed the front of the jimny until the icy weather is past. That's why it looks a bit like a wacky racer.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jan 2016 15:16 by Mike G.

• Zee Zee Top
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jan 2016 09:47 #160254 by Zee Zee Top
Replied by Zee Zee Top on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Fitted dog guard
Attachments:

• Zee Zee Top
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jan 2016 09:50 #160255 by Zee Zee Top
Replied by Zee Zee Top on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Put on the winter wheels and tyres

Attachments:

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jan 2016 11:54 - 13 Jan 2016 11:55 #160257 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Looking good
Last edit: 13 Jan 2016 11:55 by Daniel30. Reason: Dan

Time to create page: 0.419 seconds