BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What did you do to your jimny today?

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2013 14:02 #65891 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic What did you do to your jimny today
An update as promised.

I went out for a test drive with the newly fitted steering damper and the results are indeed impressive. OK, the damper will never be able to fully compensate for the inherent issues of a swb 4wd on chunky tyres, but it does sit on the road much better. You never feel like you might lurch across the road into the path of an oncoming bus whenever you hit a pot-hole.

Took it to up to 60 and back down again a few times without any issues. Also let go of the steering wheel in both directions and no wobbly problems at all. Even braked hard hands free and there was no wandering whatsoever (there wasn't previously, but just wanted to make sure I hadn't **** something up).

So, for those of you (like me) not as expert on mechanical matters compared to some of the genius members on this forum - Bite the bullet and try fitting one yourself.

I won't/can't compare the different types or suppliers, but I bought the Pro Comp from rhinorays

www.rhinorays.co.uk/steeringdamper2.htm
www.rhinorays.co.uk/steeringdamper.htm

plus the shock boots from jimny bits (to help protect the piston from muck and grit)

www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/pro-comp-shocks...k-boots/prod_21.html

The only tools required were 13mm (bracket nuts and bolts) & 15mm spanners (damper nuts), plus a screwdriver for the shock boot jubilee clip. I started off with the socket set, but soon found out that there isn't much room for using a large socket wrench and ended up using my ratchet ring spanners instead. The job took about 2.5 hours and would have probably been 90 mins max if I'd had a ramp instead of climbing underneath while rain dropped on me from the front bumper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2013 14:07 #65893 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic What did you do to your jimny today
A job well done then and saved you even more money due to me not fitting it but my offer still stands to you and any one in the kent area to help out with there jimnys and an other problems on there other cars

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2013 14:22 #65896 by JivingDaddy
Thanks Mark. I still cannot get the diff or gearbox plugs off, so I may have to use your talents reasonably soon.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2013 14:35 #65898 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic What did you do to your jimny today

JivingDaddy wrote: Thanks Mark. I still cannot get the diff or gearbox plugs off, so I may have to use your talents reasonably soon.

You can always weld on a bolt or something, for a better grip. Or maybe just try and put some heat on the plugs.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2013 14:41 #65900 by markyp2000

TomDK wrote:

JivingDaddy wrote: Thanks Mark. I still cannot get the diff or gearbox plugs off, so I may have to use your talents reasonably soon.

You can always weld on a bolt or something, for a better grip. Or maybe just try and put some heat on the plugs.

But it helps if you have the gear to do it not every one is geared up for it or has the know how and at the end of the day it could end up costing more to do the job if some one has fu*ked it up causing more problems and work for some one who has the know how and get it done right first time nothing worse than fixing some one elses fu*k up i have enough of that at work

• sully
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2013 14:48 #65902 by sully
Replied by sully on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Had stainless steel middle and back box exhuast fitted at power flow(D.C.M.S)in burnley good set of lads and into 4x4 too.

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2013 16:36 #65922 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic What did you do to your jimny today

sully wrote: Had stainless steel middle and back box exhuast fitted at power flow(D.C.M.S)in burnley good set of lads and into 4x4 too.

my mates mate that guy. will be getting one made myself there

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2013 17:04 #65929 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic What did you do to your jimny today
After fitting cc arms a few weeks ago got it re-tracked today . . . Made a big difference i recommend doing it.
The garage staff were all offroad nutters and i was there for a good 1-1/2 hours chatting with them lol

More
16 Mar 2013 23:00 #66004 by j999pre
Fitted steering damper and snorkel. Green laning in north yorks tomorrow.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2013 04:54 #66011 by JivingDaddy

markyp2000 wrote:

TomDK wrote:

But it helps if you have the gear to do it not every one is geared up for it or has the know how and at the end of the day it could end up costing more to do the job if some one has fu*ked it up causing more problems and work for some one who has the know how and get it done right first time nothing worse than fixing some one elses fu*k up i have enough of that at work

If you want something fkd up, you can often rely upon me. :(

• GWR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2013 18:56 #66308 by GWR
Replied by GWR on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Fitted a devil bike can instead of the knackered rear box :) it has a baffle in but could have done with being a bit quieter. Haven't been out to see how loud yet as I need to seal with paste yet :unsure: hopefully it ain't too bad :whistle:

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2013 19:07 #66310 by markyp2000
i fitted my newly finished roof rack

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.363 seconds