BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Push button 4wd

• Chriscov1988
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 10:50 #58356 by Chriscov1988
Push button 4wd was created by Chriscov1988
What are they like compared to the manual ones?

Do they have any problems with them?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chriscov1988
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 19:30 #58424 by Chriscov1988
Replied by Chriscov1988 on topic Push button 4wd
Can anyone point me in the right direction to read about what I am after?

Thanks

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 19:45 #58427 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Push button 4wd
There aren't any really common issues with the electric transfer box

They aren't quite so straight forward when it comes to working on them... But no serious issues

I prefer the manual box as its one less thing to rely on working

04 and 54 are the last manual shift... 05s got the new dash along with the push button transfer

• Chriscov1988
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 19:47 #58428 by Chriscov1988
Thanks for the reply. I'm supposed to be picking up an 05 on Sunday so just wanted to make sure.

More
18 Jan 2013 21:00 #58554 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Push button 4wd
hi i have an 07 reg jimny with the electronic 4wd transfer box and i also work at a suzuki deralership and to my knowledge we dont haved many coming in with problems at all!! for any reason and i havent managed to break the transfer box as yet so it must be quite good :) hope this helps

More
18 Jan 2013 21:15 #58564 by minibbb
Replied by minibbb on topic Push button 4wd

adamatdraycott wrote: There aren't any really common issues with the electric transfer box

They aren't quite so straight forward when it comes to working on them... But no serious issues

I prefer the manual box as its one less thing to rely on working

04 and 54 are the last manual shift... 05s got the new dash along with the push button transfer

My 05 plate has a manual shift and older dash, thought the facelift was on a 55 plate?

More
18 Jan 2013 21:38 #58570 by pgatensuk
Replied by pgatensuk on topic Push button 4wd
I've had both gear shift and electronic selection.

They are different, but both reliable with different characteristics. The mud heads amongst who love going off road are going to prefer the older gear lever, where as those of us that are more road biased will prefer the electronic gear selection IMO.

Driving today on Welsh snow covered roads, it was very easy to just press a button and change between 4 WD and 2WD in my 2005 VVT softtop.

The only real downside of the electronic gear selection, is that it is all too easy to accidentally select 4x4 when getting into the car with bags. IMO the buttons should be recessed into the dash. Mind you, you would think I would spot the dash warnin light... Duh!

What sort of Jimjam driving will you be doing? Weekend toy or daily drive?

Hope the above is helpful.

Paul

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2002 Jimny Soft top - Sold
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2001 Kerry Blue Terrier - RIP
2012 GoldenDoodle

• Chriscov1988
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2013 17:57 #58676 by Chriscov1988
This one is already geared up to go offload so hopefully it will be alright.

It's just going to be using it for laning and also driving 5 miles to work and back a day. My weekend fun is a C63 :)

• Chriscov1988
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2013 07:28 #59241 by Chriscov1988
Bloody auto-correct!!

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2013 21:10 #59345 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Push button 4wd
The push button works absolutely fine. It's basically just a type of solenoid and realistically no more or less likely to go wrong than a mechanical linkage.

The bit some people have problems with if they do a lot of off road driving are the free-wheeling hubs. Because they're run on a vacuum pump system the mud and crap gets in there stopping it working properly and so they change to manual ones (get out and turn the dial jobbies).

I've done a fair bit of green lane driving but no real water fording and so far 2 years in I am yet to experience difficulties.

More
22 Nov 2013 19:09 - 22 Nov 2013 19:11 #92648 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Push button 4wd
Hello!

I apologize if renewing this relatively old topic is not a good forum practice, but one is supposed to re-use existing suitable topics, rather than create new ones, isn't it?

I am conducting a research of differences between the manual and electronic transfer box in Suzuki Jimny. This topic has provided some useful information regarding the reliability and quality of the two.

But what interests me as much is the difference between driving characteristics of those two transfer boxes. And by that I mean the drive ratios.

I found this FAQ on BigJimny site:
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/information/q...ask=weblink.go&id=41

It says that Jimny with M13A engine, manual gear box and manual transfer box has the following gear ratios:
High: 1.32
Low: 2.145
Final drive: 3.909

On the other hand, the newer Jimny with M13AVVT engine, manual gear box and electronic transfer box has the following gear ratios:
High: 1.00
Low: 2.002
Final drive: 4.300

Now, if I understand gearing ratios (and numbering nomenculture) properly, this should mean that the newer Jimnys with electronic transfer boxes (when compared to older Jimnys with manual transfer boxes) can achieve higher speeds (and have better fuel economy at cruising etc.), but on the other hand those electronic Jimnys should have significantly less torque at lower speeds and therefore significantly compromised off-road agility, and lower towing capability as well.

Am I correct or wrong!? And if I am correct, are the real differences as large as the raw numeral differences indicate? Are there any other differences in driving characteristics as a result of different gearing ratios?

I would really appreciate an explanation of these numbers. What particularly puzzles me is that, while the gear ratios are significantly lower in electronic Jimny than in manual Jimny, the final drive ratio is significantly higher in the electronic Jimny. I admit that I am not educated enough to figure it out.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2013 19:11 by Bosanek.

More
22 Nov 2013 19:39 - 22 Nov 2013 21:38 #92651 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Push button 4wd
In my view for road use the push button is a lot easier to use in the mixed conditions we get. When it comes to snow generally you can be switching in and out of 4wd a few times although from a technical point of view a lever is mechanically simpler.
Don't forget you can't use 4wd on tarmac unless on slippy surfaces hence the need to slip in and out of 4wd easily.
My wife certainly enthused about the push button last year compared with our older Jimny!

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 22 Nov 2013 21:38 by gilburton.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds