BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny crankshaft pulley repair?

• Orangeherald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2017 13:09 #178592 by Orangeherald
Replied by Orangeherald on topic Jimny crankshaft pulley repair?
One thing I have noticed over the years is there is a tingle to be felt with a finger tip on top of the gear lever at exactly 60mph in 5th gear. Figuring that not to be a good thing I try to avoid that precise speed. A very small increase or decrease makes it go away. There is also detectable vibration at any speed, but it seems to be higher at that one spot. I did test it after replacing the pulley and it is less at all speeds, but there is still that increased tingle at 60. Looks like it could be that damping reduces the vibration at that commonly used speed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2017 19:40 #178642 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Jimny crankshaft pulley repair?
So it seems that they have managed to get the out of balance at the most used engine mode of all! Not good, and even more reason to not take any chances once you get the warnings. This dynamic problem is not new to engines. During the war one of the most powerful British engines was a radial sleeve valve 14 cylinder monster with two speed centrigugal supercharges and they had two massive metal balls ( they were given the title Solomon Balls) which were part of the crankshaft webs. These were for dynamic balance.

More
02 Mar 2017 09:24 #178733 by facade
Didn't one of the Olden Days Yamaha engines have Twin Omni-phase Contra Rotating Balancer shafts?
The old Honda Superdream Twins used a balancer shaft, when the chain driving it wore out (after about 500 miles) the vibrations got worse, so most of them got disconnected.

I always fancied a car with TOPCRBS on the back B)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Orangeherald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2017 10:21 #178735 by Orangeherald
Replied by Orangeherald on topic Jimny crankshaft pulley repair?
Of the 40 odd bikes I have owned over 50 years, one stands out head and shoulder above the rest for vibration. Forget old Triumphs, mere amateurs. This tiny Honda was not only the smallest but by far the worst for vibration I ever owned. I give you the Honda Chaly. How 70cc could do it was a mystery! 30mph, numb fingers and blurred vision! 40mph and it would polish the coins in your pocket to a high shine. The amazing thing was it kept on going. I bough a bike from a friend and he gave me the Chaly, as he could not stand it any more.

More
23 Oct 2017 20:37 #185469 by weecorey
A good read and we'll worth a try, you did well getting 45000 miles. I'm going to go with one of the German ones at £65 + £15 shipping.

• TheJimJim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2018 08:34 #193271 by TheJimJim
Replied by TheJimJim on topic Jimny crankshaft pulley repair?
Hi,
I have the same problem at the moment and i am going to have to resort to drilling the bolt out, does anybody know how long the bolt is. I have been hanging of it with 2m of scafold bar and the bolt will still not budge I am now fed up of breaking tools. Any advice would be much appriected.

Thanks

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2018 14:20 #193273 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Jimny crankshaft pulley repair?
Have you tried a socket and bar and spinning the engine on the starter so that the bar stops and hopefully the impact undoes the bolt yet? It only needs 30 degree of bar movement to work. If not then an impact gun can work or a heat inductor.

More
07 Jun 2018 14:31 #193274 by mlines

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
07 Jun 2018 16:29 #193276 by facade
Oh what fun I had :)

Just cut the flanges off the bolt and it comes undone with your fingers.

The crank is about 3mm short of the pulley, so you won't touch it with the cutter.

A new bolt is about £10

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds