BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

how to use the 4 wheel drive in snow jimny auto

• mjmar41
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2012 13:53 #31414 by mjmar41
what is the best way to use the 4 wheel drive in snow i live on a hill and i am very scared of going down hill as my jimny is an automatic any advice would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2012 14:01 #31415 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: how to use the 4 wheel drive in snow jimny auto
take your foot off the throttle, let the car go down slowly. dont break suddenly or you will probably slide and loose control.

go slowly. its doesnt make much difference it being an auto.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2012 14:02 #31416 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: how to use the 4 wheel drive in snow jimny auto
Can't you hold it in gear. Most autos have R P anD but between Pand D they usually have 1 2 3 if you put the lever into any of those it should hold it in that gear.
Never actually seen a Jimny auto, but usually that is the layout. Come on somebody. prove me wrong.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2012 14:07 - 20 Jan 2012 14:08 #31417 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: how to use the 4 wheel drive in snow jimny auto
Going down, 4WD Low and select gear 1 or 2 on the manual selection. This will use engine braking like on a manual gearbox. Don't press the brakes the gearbox will keep you rolling nice and slowly... and only apply throttle to get you moving if ness.

Going up, 4WD High and probably leave it in auto... unless its a steep hill
Last edit: 20 Jan 2012 14:08 by adamatdraycott.

• Jeffskowski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2012 14:09 #31418 by Jeffskowski
Replied by Jeffskowski on topic Re: how to use the 4 wheel drive in snow jimny auto

wanderinstar wrote: Can't you hold it in gear. Most autos have R P anD but between Pand D they usually have 1 2 3 if you put the lever into any of those it should hold it in that gear.
Never actually seen a Jimny auto, but usually that is the layout. Come on somebody. prove me wrong.

It would appear you are correct Sir.

Attachment suzukijimnyauto9.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
20 Jan 2012 15:27 #31419 by mlines
As has been said,

To go downhill, put it in L for "Lock", put the transmission box in 4WD low ratio. Take your feet off everything (this is hard to do!, your feet itch to rest on the brake) and let the car do the work.

If it begins to slide you often have to touch the accelerator to get the traction back NOT the brake (even harder to do! stick some upside down drawing pins on the brake pedal and drive in your socks! ;) ))

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmar41

More
20 Jan 2012 17:10 #31424 by Johnniehec

mlines wrote:
If it begins to slide you often have to touch the accelerator to get the traction back NOT the brake (even harder to do! stick some upside down drawing pins on the brake pedal and drive in your socks! ;) ))

Martin LOL I've done lots of 4x4 instruction in my time but I never tried that one!!!
best one I recomend to prevent accidental dipping of the clutch is a sharp application of my right knuckle just above the drivers left kneecap!!!
john.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• Mumbo Jimbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2012 18:34 #31428 by Mumbo Jimbo
Replied by Mumbo Jimbo on topic Re: how to use the 4 wheel drive in snow jimny auto
As said, that works for me when visiting my parents in my auto Jimny. They live on a steep hill that becomes unpassable for everyone without a 4x4 in the snow, people will still try it though and leave their cars abandoned wherever they stopped sliding. Transfer box in 4LOW and Auto box in "L" and you'll find it more than keeps your speed under control down the hill, I often need to accellerate a little as it works too well.

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2012 21:10 #31446 by jo king
I had a auto once and as to what martin says he is bang on.. Dont go down in 2 low as this can make the cat run away. L in low box works the best.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds