BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

jimny crawler gear

• bari
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2011 19:18 #24975 by bari
jimny crawler gear was created by bari
hi everybody has anybody any experience of the crawler gear thats for sale on jimnybits.

www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/jimny/jimny-low...earset/prod_466.html

wich will be the lower gearing this or the rocklobster sj box.And wich would be robust.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2011 19:24 #24976 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: jimny crawler gear
The rocklobster is much lower. This gearing from jimnybits is hardly what you'd call a crawler gear :-)

• mark1971
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2011 07:05 #25006 by mark1971
Replied by mark1971 on topic Re: jimny crawler gear
Can you fit a rocklobster box to an electronic selector jimny? Or would I need to have the second shifter through the floor?

Mark

More
02 Nov 2011 07:09 #25007 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: jimny crawler gear
You would need to have the second shifter through the floor, but every electronic Jimny I have seen so far has a plate screwed down over the hole so you can simply remove the plate.

You also have to fool the electronics if you dont want the warning lights on the dashboard to come on, there are a couple of wires you need to cross-connect.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• mark1971
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2011 09:05 #25011 by mark1971
Replied by mark1971 on topic Re: jimny crawler gear
Thanks for the swift response Martin. It's a question I've been mulling over for a while as I do find the normal low box is to high when I'm going down steep stuff. Time to start saving the pennies up.

Mark

• bari
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2011 11:06 - 03 Nov 2011 11:11 #25054 by bari
Replied by bari on topic Re: jimny crawler gear
hi, i dont know much about how much 2.65:1 in low range would infect my jeep but i want to lower the gearing so that when im in 1 gear in low range now, it would be the same as in 3rd with the lower gearing :)
what gear ratio would i need?

thanks bari
Last edit: 03 Nov 2011 11:11 by bari.

More
03 Nov 2011 13:52 #25065 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: jimny crawler gear
To move first gear to where third gear is currently is roughly what a rock lobster conversion does.

Martin

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: bari

• bari
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2011 14:25 #25067 by bari
Replied by bari on topic Re: jimny crawler gear
thanks martin.

• riaang
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2012 07:48 #37981 by riaang
Replied by riaang on topic Re: jimny crawler gear
Hi there, I'm busy putting a converted SJ413 box in my Jimny. Can you tell me how to connect the wires so the front hubs still lock with the buttons.

And what do I do with the speedo?

More
19 Apr 2012 08:13 #37984 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: jimny crawler gear
On a lever operated transfer box, the blue/black wire that went to the gearbox switch needs to earth through the 4wd switch in the SJ box. If your car was a push button operated one, I don't have a clue I'm afraid.

To get the speedo to work you have to buy/make a kit to mount a cog and the speed sensor from the original gearbox to the output shaft of the transfer box. Have a search on the 'net for terms like "rocklobster" and "jimny"

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2012 12:26 #37996 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: jimny crawler gear
If its a manual transfer jimny you may be lucky like i was and 4wd switch just plugs in! :silly:

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

• riaang
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Apr 2012 07:19 #38964 by riaang
Replied by riaang on topic Re: jimny crawler gear
We took the 4wd sensor out of the old box and put it in the new box, plugged it in and the hubs click in automatically when you put the vehicle in 4wd. The plugs for the auto switches are still an issue and the engine light and 4wd lights on the dash flash all the time. Still need to make a pick-up for the speedometer.

My biggest problem is the fact that I now have a 40% reduction in fifth gear high range. I will have to replace the gearbox and/or change the diff ratio. The newer Jimny's have a different ratio on the transfer box than the old SJ's so the conversion messes your gear ratios.

The new Jimny has a 1:1 ratio on the 5th gear while the older ones has an overdrive. My bad for not picking that up before starting with the conversion.

Anybody know what is the best way to fix the ratio now.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds