BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Where does a tow attach to chassis?

• Back in Black
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2011 09:34 #24247 by Back in Black
Where does a tow attach to chassis? was created by Back in Black
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a towbar, but looking at the kits on line / eBay, I can't work out how or where they attach to the rear of the chassis without fouling either the back box or the existing tow bracket things.

If anyone can shed any light on where it attaches I'd be really grateful. I have 99 year with a 2inch body lift if that makes any difference? I have been looking at various tow bars, but they all seem the same design and all recon there are no alterations to car required. I'd rather not buy one and not be able to fit it.

Thank you for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dutchjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2011 09:55 #24251 by Dutchjimny
Replied by Dutchjimny on topic Re: Where does a tow attach to chassis?
Mine attatches onto the recoveypoints and into the chassis beams with bolts 4 bolts each side

More
23 Oct 2011 12:39 - 23 Oct 2011 12:42 #24261 by dirtydogz
This is a photo of the fittings on a jimny towbar.

Attachment scan0001_2011-10-23.jpg not found

Attachment DSCF0007.JPG not found

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Oct 2011 12:42 by dirtydogz.

• Back in Black
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2011 13:00 #24265 by Back in Black
Replied by Back in Black on topic Re: Where does a tow bar attach to chassis?
Hi, thanks for the replies - I have a bit of an issue with the mounting points where they use the recovery points:

Attachment leftrecoverypoint.JPG not found

That's a rip in the metal where it looks like the bolts should go through the base of the recovery point. The hole where the bolts go is where it has torn. I had thought the metal had just bent and persuader would bend it back into place.

Plan 'B' will have to be creative....
Attachments:

More
23 Oct 2011 13:10 - 23 Oct 2011 13:15 #24267 by dirtydogz
That's ok the holes you need are in the chassis, not on the recovery point.
Sorry did not look at your photo so yes you will need to weld the bracket back in place

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 23 Oct 2011 13:15 by dirtydogz.

More
23 Oct 2011 15:08 #24276 by mcjimny
Mine only bolted to the point on the drivers side(and the chassis of course), i presume this one is further in because of the exhaust.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
23 Oct 2011 17:57 #24289 by supergaz
I'd beef up those mounts with a good bit of box section if I was to fit a towbar. Id worry about using a towbar for recovery as those mounts are weak.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds