BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

MoT test shake-up - AutoExpress News

More
21 Oct 2011 14:52 #24175 by Halford
Glad I've got a JImny :)

not sure if you've seen the news on Autoexpress - MoT test shake-up will leave motorists liable for astronomical bills to repair electronic stability control systems from next year

The Department for Transport will be required under EU law to test electronic stability control systems (ESC – also called ESP) in any car in which it is fitted, regardless of the date of manufacture or whether the system was an optional extra. And the cost to repair ESC can run into thousands of pounds.

Reader John Wilkinson, from Dunstable, Beds, was given a quote of £1,733 to fix the faulty system on his 2005 Vauxhall Astra.

If John chose not to fix it, his car would be judged ‘unroadworthy’ next year – even though it would be considered fit for the road had he chosen not to tick the £399 ESC option when he first bought the car.

And ESC isn’t the only technology that will be checked in MoT tests next year. Airbags, power steering, catalytic converters and factory-fitted tyre pressure monitoring systems will also be checked. You’ll find full details of the changes in next week’s Auto Express, released on 19 October 2011

Auto Express MoT test shake-up
;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2011 17:00 #24188 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Re: MoT test shake-up - AutoExpress News
on the subject of MOTs has anyone else seen the 'amazing' new style MOT certificates? They are printed on a single sheet of plain A4 paper and include any advisories. No special paper, no hallmarks - a fraudsters dream come true.

More
21 Oct 2011 17:21 #24189 by supergaz
Thing is they are all computerised to the Law, your certificate is no more than a receipt.

More
21 Oct 2011 17:39 #24190 by mlines
That's correct, your MOT exists only in one place, the Computer. Your certificate is effectively a receipt with an access code on it. You can use the code to look at the real record online. The encrypted barcode is unique.

By the way, does anyone want a car that will test every aspect of the new MOT? My Range Rover will be for sale shortly and already challenges the MOT tester because of the electronic handbrake and self levelling suspension.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
21 Oct 2011 18:59 - 21 Oct 2011 19:06 #24195 by supergaz
Now the trailer electrics are tested with a plug in tester, Problem is it displays l.e.d's, this does not work with the Discovery 4 I believe, so Discoverys will be failing, even though they work. Maybe this also includes the RR?

As a Commercial Brake tester engineer, I cannot see a safe way to test the electronic hand brake without ripping the brake shoes as class 4/7 is not an applied test except heavy stuff. Tapley test is to only safe way approved by vosa on a'lot of 4x4 systems however not very accurate.

The new nasty tool :sick: www.prosol.co.uk/new_products_r35/13_pin...or_mot_use_p2446.php
Last edit: 21 Oct 2011 19:06 by supergaz.

More
21 Oct 2011 19:22 #24196 by mlines
Yes, the older Range Rover Sports and Discovery 3's electronics (the ones with old filament bulbs) do not like LED trailer lighting (its a problem with some lorry trailers as well I believe). However the recent facelift models which come with LED lighting of their own can cope with LED trailers I believe. You can buy a very expensive box from caravan dealers to let you run LED lit caravans on filament Range Rovers/Discoveries, or you can solder in low value resistors at a couple of pennies each.

For the handbrake the problem is damage to the shoes but also the handbrake auto pulses. As the handbrake is actually an "e-brake" (Emergency Brake) it can be pulled on at speed to stop the vehicle (its quite impressive to do this by the way, LandRover demonstrator drivers do this as part of the "Experience"). When pulled on in this fashion it "pulses" on and off rapidly (a bit like ABS) which I understand the brake tester doesn't like.

Instead he took mine around the corner and tried it on a steep drive.

The problem with the suspension is that it goes into auto-extend mode and forces the wheels down to the extreme of their travel making it difficult to stop the wheel touching the ramp on some lifts. Then it is possible to confuse the system and it stays locked down. This means some people had to take it around to the dealers to have the suspension reset. The trick is to open a door or a boot before jacking the car up, this prevents the suspension from moving. I remember the surprise on the testers face the first time he did my Range Rover as the machine printed out a couple of pages of warnings before he started the test.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds