BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Bridgestone Dueller V Grabber AT2 observations

More
23 Jul 2011 19:41 #19413 by Foxtrot
Hi Guys, I thought I would share my observations after changing out my standard Bridgestone dueller 205/70/15 for a set of 205/75/15 Grabber AT2s early this year.
The Grabber is only slightly taller but just enough to catch the front mud flaps when turning so they had to come off, the rear flaps were fine.
I have noticed the slightly 10% extra the cars speedo have normally built in has disappeared and my GPS and roadside speed indicators are almost a match to my speedo, this will be due to the slightly taller tyre.
The response has slightly dulled (not that Jimnys are quick off the mark anyway) probably due to the aggressive pattern/ bigger diameter.
The tyre pattern is prone to having stones stick in them and then fling them out like a slingshot! I would advise rear mud flaps if like me you drag a small caravan, otherwise it will be full of small dents.
Fuel consumption has gone down, with the Duellers I was getting 36mpg, the Grabbers AT2s give approximately 32mpg which is probably a trade off for the aggressive pattern and extra friction.
Besides all the issues above the tyre performs brilliantly and I managed to use them in anger at the Big Jimny Tong event, I have been there before with the standard tyres saw the Jimny scrabbling for grip, the Grabbers were like a train on rails and I didn't have any issues with the routes I picked. The tyres are my only modification and it has made a big difference off road and especially in the snow. And they look Good :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2011 20:43 #19415 by Halford
Hi Foxtrot
Just had mine fitted on Tuseday, replacing the Dueller HTs. B)

Echo your findings - for some reason I only had to junk the off-side front mud flap.
Haven't checked the speedo yet - but sounds good
Stones - same here, drive off carefully on gravel or you'll shot blast anything behind you, upon driving back onto tarmac the tyres make a clicky-clicky sound from stone chippings stuck in the pattern.
Steering & road feel - little numb, but more solid in comparison.
Ride Harshness - gone, huge difference - no more crashing into potholes or road ridges - you know you've gone over them but it's dulled and effortless, speedbumps now feels like driving over jaffa-cakes as opposed to breeze-blocks.
Unbelievably - hasn't rained yet - so unable to comment on wet performance - but let's face it, can't be any worse.
Snow - can't wait :woohoo:

Only issue I have is that I'm now starting ever so mildly becoming aware of this so called "death wobble" - at somewhere around 43mph (I think) - there's a bit of a wobble, or more of a vibration effect - it feels weird, unlike the feel of unbalanced tyres where you feel it directly through the steering wheel - it's like a numbed down shudder - I'm suspecting it may have arose after the Jim had been jacked up by the fitters.

verdict - excellent - the best thing you can do to imrpove the ride. ;)

what tyre pressures do you run at - mine currently at 23/26, will try 24/27 tomorrow

More
23 Jul 2011 21:35 #19417 by mcjimny
I would echo all the above. Wet performance is surprisingly good and certainly no worse than the bridgestones. I've commented on other threads but they are brilliant in snow.

IIRC i've read on here swapping your wheels front to back can help with a slight wheel wobble.

IMHO the best all round tyre available for the Jimny, they should have worn them from the factory. Its a shame the pattern has changed, i'd be interested to hear how the new ones perform.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
24 Jul 2011 09:04 - 24 Jul 2011 09:05 #19429 by Foxtrot
Hi Halford,

I agree with you regarding curing the ride harshness, I think the extra thick side walls help. I've got my tyre pressures at 23/26 and when towing 23/29 seems ok. I used to get excessive wheel wobble when slowing down at speed at about 45 miles an hour, this turned out to be warped brake disks, and since changing them out it is now ok. Road noise has slightly increased but it has more of the 4x4 whine from the tread pattern, no big issues as you can't hear the radio after 50mph anyway :-) I agree with McJimny water dispersion and stopping in the wet is good.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2011 09:05 by Foxtrot.

• Goat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jul 2011 18:39 #19453 by Goat
Same for me really except not noticed a wobble. I don't think they are properly balanced yet as there is vibration at 60mph plus. I'm still swapping them around to try and see which one it is. Running the recommended pressures at the moment.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds