BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rock Lobster or other reduced ratio boxes

More
10 Jan 2010 17:52 #1830 by ooky_123
Right, a Mate has just stuck a set of 31x10.5x15's on his sports track and it looks HUGE !!!

So much so .. I want a set... but given the 215rx15's are pushing teh standard gearing to the limit, and I really donot have the time to source and build a TX box, what is the easiest option .... Im happy to part with money if it gets me to my goal

Can they be bought ? how easy is it to sourse the bits and getone built / build it yoruself ?

Ive seem Martin's How to guide and I dont have the time or space to attempt anything like that.

A Bolt on ... away you go solution is I guess what im looking for ..

Anyone ?

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2010 19:56 #1831 by Baz2236
Rs manafacturing does a full bolt on sj kit or you can get some Redacted gears put into your t box. Thus keeping orginal speedo drive and props etc. And not fitting an old sj box.

Let me know how you get on cos I am looking todo the same very soon.

Baz

More
10 Jan 2010 20:09 - 11 Dec 2010 18:16 #1832 by mlines
I was not personally happy with the special Low Ratio Jimny gearset fitted to my Jimny

I believe mine had had a chain replaced (by changing the transfer box) before I got it and I had to do the same shortly after I got it. The chain slipped badly. The Special Low Ratio Jimny gearset people suggest you should fit a new chain at the time of putting the new gears in but at over £300 this makes it a very expensive option.

A Rocklobster is quite cheap and easy to make, you need to get hold of two transfer boxes, one from a 413 and one from a 410. The 410 ones are getting rarer and more expensive. Then for about £100 you can get the gears cut and swapped.

Rebuilding the transfer box is quite easy despite the apparent long list of steps in my guide.

If you then fit a commercial adaptor kit (Off-Road Armory or -Rob Storr) it becomes a pretty much bolt on solution.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 11 Dec 2010 18:16 by mlines.

More
14 Jan 2010 17:25 #1852 by jonplace
i went down the rob storr route and cant fault it. refurbed box with machined gears, not cut / shut. new bearings too
i paid extra to get the full bucket style fitting kit, totally solid bit of kit, could probs jack the car up off the tbox now. i also bought some poly bushes as the standard ones are a nightmare to work with. seriously the best money i've spent on the car.

More
14 Jan 2010 22:15 #1853 by s2quattroturbo
that looks like a serious piece of kit the plate it is mounted on... think you could easy jack the car on it. bet you cant wait to get out there and try it.

More
15 Jan 2010 07:51 #1856 by ooky_123
Wow .... Gimmi gimmi gimmi ......

Can I ask how much ?

I tried to email Rob but the mail bounced.
Im out of teh country at present, but will certainly try and chase him up when I return

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
15 Jan 2010 17:17 #1862 by Jamie
Don't e-mail Rob he never replies he is a top guy with the
best product's about, But , He is hard to get hold of!!

More
15 Jan 2010 17:57 #1865 by jonplace
I installed mine back in may, it works really well for the trials as you can slowly creep round the gates. I opted for the the 4:1 ratio which suits the 30” tyres. Any lower than 4.1 ratio will be a problem in reverse when trying to get out of sticky situations.
Rob has a new email address which I will try and spell out without putting it on the forum
Rob DOT storr AT tesco DOT net (hopefully people can understand that) – he does get back to you but using his mobile may be quicker, his mobile is on his website I think.
if people want to know the price of this kit then I don’t mind putting it on here but I better check with martin first - let us know boss

the cradle is solid all the way round except for a small hole in the bottom for the drain plug.

More
15 Jan 2010 18:05 - 15 Jan 2010 18:06 #1866 by mlines
I don't mind people posting about other kit, feel free (and if you see the things I do stock cheaper elsewhere please let me know as well!!)

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 15 Jan 2010 18:06 by mlines.

More
15 Jan 2010 18:27 #1867 by jonplace
Ok martin well hopefully this information will help other make their decisions.
Back in may this whole kit cost about £600 if I remember correctly. Of course this price may have gone up or down as that was a while ago now so best to check. I also bought some poly bushes as the standard jimny ones are a nuisance.

The lobster box was about 300ish which included a 4:1 ratio, new bearings and seals also. I had to ship down a donor 413 box which I picked up on ebay for about £50.
The fitting kit was also nearly 300 quid which included the HD bucket (pictured) with all adaptors and speedo kit.
I know its quite a lot of money but I’m not really up to the job of making my own so instead I cheated and got a complete bolt on kit. Its not that much more than buying 2 x Tboxs at £50 each then £100ish for someone to cut and shut the gears. Rob did say that theres approx 100 quids worth of new bearings go into his box’s ?? never had it open so I cant confirm this.
The only problem we had was that the SJ transfer box lever wouldn’t line up with the jimny tunnel hole so we had to put some heat on it and bend it to shape. Fortunately I have access to oxy acetylene kit so this was easy enough to modify.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
15 Jan 2010 19:40 #1871 by funkyjimny
Ive had 2 Rob Storr boxes and fitting kits lol, I had a 4:1 fitted to my new Jimny a few years ago and now i have a 6:1 in my current jimny, which is too low for my 205/16's, i might go up to 235/85/16's (which is what were on the donor car when i bought it, but i didnt fancy cutting out the arches on my new shell so much, floorpan and under headlights need cutting out and new steel welding in)It'd go anywhere with 235/85/16's! Get a lobster box and a locker in the rear axle and it'll be fantastic.
Robs kit is worth the wait ~(and sometimes the mither as he's hard to get hold of!)nicely made, fits perfect, engineering is lovely. I have his panhards, steering bars, rear disc kit, t case with t brake and fitting kit and wheel spacers.

Gary

More
15 Jan 2010 20:04 #1873 by jonplace
"i love his panhards" ohh err :P
funny you should mention lockers i'm looking at putting a kam locker in mine this year if funds allow, a mate has a rear locker and it makes a hell of a difference
have you got a locker ? which one and what do you think

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds