BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

what winch?

• mikee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2011 20:47 #17968 by mikee
what winch? was created by mikee
hi im looking at putting a winch in my standard bumber like on one of the useful links on this site!
but im wondering whats the best one for around my £450-£500 price range?
thanks mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• meanbgreen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2011 21:29 #17970 by meanbgreen
Replied by meanbgreen on topic Re: what winch?
Get a warn or Ramsey
My 2 cents

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2011 06:54 #17978 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: what winch?
Something a little different. I've decided to fit a 50mm Reece Hitch Receiver to the front. That way, you can use a "Winch Cradle" to fit into the Reece Hitch and only carry the winch when you are going bush. My "IForce" 6000lb winch weighs 29kgs so that is why I've decided to go this way. Bonus is being able to put winch front or rear! Mate is welding up the receiver over the next couple of weeks. Just thinking outside the square :whistle: Plus, having a towpoint on the front can come in handy launching the yacht :woohoo:

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2011 08:38 #17980 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: what winch?
goodwinch tds 9.5 are a very good winch

superwinch lp8500 (had one on my jimny & was exelent)

superwinch ep9

More
19 Jun 2011 09:47 #17983 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: what winch?
I think your choice will be limited by how you want to mount it. I think most behind the bumper mounted ones are fitted between the chassis and a winch with an external brake is unlikely to fit.

Superwinches, Ramseys and Goodwinches have external brakes, on the end past the gearbox making them too wide.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Fingers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2011 17:41 - 19 Jun 2011 17:42 #18009 by Fingers
Replied by Fingers on topic Re: what winch?
I've got a T-Max EW-6500 12V 6500 lbs Winch

rated at 2950KG and they fit easy between the chassis rails.

check the My jimny section, and look for my thread called "Jon's Jimny" I've got photo's of the install

the winch has got some real good pull!
Last edit: 19 Jun 2011 17:42 by Fingers.

More
20 Jun 2011 19:36 - 20 Jun 2011 19:39 #18062 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: what winch?

Fingers wrote: I've got a T-Max EW-6500 12V 6500 lbs Winch

rated at 2950KG and they fit easy between the chassis rails.

check the My jimny section, and look for my thread called "Jon's Jimny" I've got photo's of the install

the winch has got some real good pull!

I would suggest a Champion or the aforementioned T Max.

Champion would be my first choice due to the parts availability in this country from Winch Solutions. Prices are keen and I see Martin used his for some time in harsh conditions before giving his a re-build so there is proof of quality.

You do get what you pay for though and I've heard of things like the motor contacts rusting up quickly on budget brands like these, but motors are cheaper and can be upgraded if there are problems. You could do some preventative maintenance by putting electronic grease on joints etc.

The other thing to consider when buying an in the drum braked winch is that lowering the vehicle on the winch further than 5-6m will cause enough heat to damage a synthetic rope, as will paying out some distance.

So I'd you don't use wire rope, just use freespool and don't lower the car on it.

Most people on want them for recovery so It's not too much of a big deal.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 20 Jun 2011 19:39 by kirkynut.

• mikee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jun 2011 15:09 #18098 by mikee
Replied by mikee on topic Re: what winch?
thats what i really want it for is just peice of mind for if i ever get stuck but you never know what might happen!

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds