BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Time to mod

• jamesrossfellows
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jun 2011 09:21 #17664 by jamesrossfellows
Time to mod was created by jamesrossfellows
Hi guys,

Just joined up and would really like to know where to start with modding my 99 Jimny. I dont want to go mad on it as it is also my every day car. I'm thinking along the lines of better tyres, a mild lift and a locking rear diff. Any recommendations??? Should I go for 205/75/15 tyres such as General Grabber AT2 as they would be my first mod and will not require any body modifications/lift. I have looked on the off road armoury website at the lift kit they do, is this a good kit for the price? Finally what would you recommend when it comes to lockers, Just rear or both? any in particular?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2011 17:41 #17683 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Time to mod
If you want to lift it, don't buy tyres until you have done so and then buy the biggest tyres you can run with that lift that won't cause you to have to perform too many arch cuts etc. If you don;t, you'll get stuck and want bigger ones and will buy them, wasting the money you got on the first set!

I think the ORA 3" lift would suit you if it's a daily driver.

If you are thinking of lockers already, don't bother with AT tyres as your tastes for the muddy stuff sound beyond their capabilities!!!

Kumho KL71's suit everyday driving with a bit of mud work every now and then and would be nicely complimented by a rear locker for when they haven't got enough grip in mud. I wouldn't bother with a front as the CV's are a weak point on Jimny's and being a daily driver, you don't want to break them and not be able to drive it the next day to work!

Size wise, I think 235/75/15's are more like it! In respect of body modifications, look at Martin's guides as he runs a 3" lift and 235/75/15 mud tyres too.

There are only 2 types of lockers that are normally unlocked. ARB or KAM diffs. The KAM is electric and comes with hardened shafts and a neat way of taking the end of the shaft off with the wheel studs to push a bearing on the easier way without having to remove the retaining collar.

The ARB works by compressed air and thus needs a compressor too which ads to the costs and I dont think it comes with hardened shafts, so the cheaper option all round is the KAM diff.

I don't think you'd want a locker that is normally locked for daily use. They are cheaper and people use them on the road for greenlaning and getting to off road sites with little issue - plenty of people on here - but for a daily, I think it would drive me potty.

Why do you think you'll need a locker though?

I have run without one for 4 years and find my winch more useful. A winch bumper and winch will get you unstuck more often than a set of lockers potentially.

I ran with 205/80/16 Kumho KL71's on Grand Vitara wheels with only a little front bumper trimming for some time with no issue, so there's another option for tyres.

I hope these ramblings help.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds