BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Kirkynut's top tip No.124

More
10 Jun 2011 12:07 - 10 Jun 2011 12:08 #17609 by kirkynut
Kirkynut's top tip No.124

When trying to remove an internal circlip with a set of useless circlip pliers, do not resort to using two small screwdriver's - you WILL stab yourself with one of them!:pinch:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Kirkynut ;)

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 10 Jun 2011 12:08 by kirkynut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2011 12:18 #17610 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Kirkynut's top tip No.124

Sorry, been there done that! ;)

More
10 Jun 2011 12:35 - 10 Jun 2011 12:36 #17611 by kirkynut
I did it the day before yesterday and have since been out and bought two new sets of circlip pliers - one for internal circlips, the other for external.

I have been using one of those ones with the interchangable ends that can do both but that has now been thrown across the workshop in anger - I hope never to be seen again!!!

Having the right tools for the job makes things so much easier and sooooooo less painful!!!

I can laugh now but I couldn't when I had a screwdriver hanging out my finger and blood running everywhere I can tell you!!!

Kirkynut :blush:

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 10 Jun 2011 12:36 by kirkynut.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2011 13:30 #17614 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Kirkynut's top tip No.124
Where I used to live, the garage there had holes in the steel (thin) doors where various tools have ended up stuck in after being given flight after nipping, slipping, stabbing, cutting, grazing, scratching and sticking various parts on my anatomy instead of the job in hand.
It's all experience and you learn not to do it again. Well .................:)

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2011 18:21 #17619 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Kirkynut's top tip No.124
i used to have a set of those crap ones with interchangeable ends not for long though as they took a flying lesson :laugh:

ive done the screwdriver job a few times it just takes too long & hurts a bit too

got myself some decent circlip pliers & never looked back there great

More
10 Jun 2011 18:53 #17621 by kirkynut
I've got quite a good tool collection now and a nice little workshop space at the end of my garage at home. We bought our house 18 months ago and it has a garage that is quite wide but not quite wide enough to have both half shafts out at once unless I position the car quite far back where the rear door is, I could then slide a half shaft out the door if I have to change a diff.

I keep meaning to sort out the workshop space so I have a set of tools hanging up and I've got a second set of alot of things in the Jimny that go where it goes.

My mates down my club are amazed at what I've managed to get in the boot all strapped in - tools for most occurrances, camping stove with cups and tea and coffee making facilities, the battery for the car, recovery gear including snatch block, tree strap, several shackles and ropes, along with cordless impact gun, socket set, tool box etc...

They take the P@?s until they want to borrow them to fix their Land Rovers!

I'd quite like to have more gaage equipment though, a hydraulic press, grinding wheel/ wire brush wheel, parts cleaner etc and could fit it all in if it wan't for push bikes and my second set of tyres etc.

When I'm a Millionaire (Rodney), I'll have a proper purpose built workshop with ramp and all the tools I could need or want, plus those that are just nice to have!

In the meantime I'll have just enough to get by whilst trying not to stab myself too often!!!

Kirkynut

More
10 Jun 2011 21:16 - 10 Jun 2011 21:17 #17627 by supergaz
Kirkynut, just keep me in mind when you do win the lottery, I will see you well with garage equipment. :-)
In the meantime if you want good stuff cheap try www.garageequipmentshop.com/
they are dealers in all sorts of stuff, and i've had a few good bits from them.

And I hate all 10 pairs of mole grips I have, they all bite :pinch: :( :sick:
Last edit: 10 Jun 2011 21:17 by supergaz.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds