BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Real solid rear Bumpers.

More
05 Jun 2011 17:19 - 05 Jun 2011 17:32 #17383 by Iain
Hi there
Does any one know were to get a decent rear steel bumper??

I have an ORA rear bumper and I backed into a wooden pole today at less that 5mph and it has deformed badly and pushed into the rear panel and up into the rear light (reversing light) so I cant open the back door .

So is there any where I can get another bumper so I can throw this one in the scrap

I have emailed ORA with my quality complaint and am awaiting reply

Cheers Iain

I Love Waypoint Tours Holidays
Last edit: 05 Jun 2011 17:32 by Iain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2011 18:57 #17385 by Iain
Replied by Iain on topic Re: Real solid rear Bumpers.
Hi

I got a reply from Off Road Armoury, The short version was he did not care because it was two years old

I know Some People are happy with there bumpers, i am just not happy with mine

Cheers Iain :)

P.S. If u have an ORA bumper be Carefull the bend real easy.

More
05 Jun 2011 19:06 #17386 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Real solid rear Bumpers.
If the bumper hadn't deformed, the chassis would have :ohmy:

You can't hit something solid at 5mph unless something deforms somewhere. The original plastic bumper is supposed to deform although a pole generally does them in.

Can't you undeform it with a hammer?

I recall undeforming the bumper on my landrover with a towrope around an electricity pylon: I gambled that it had a solid foundation ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• g187eev
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2011 19:07 #17387 by g187eev
Replied by g187eev on topic Re: Real solid rear Bumpers.
I see that you had already posted a slanderous message before you had even given us a chance to reply to your email, which was quite unfair.

This is the one and only damaged Jimny rear bumper that we have heard of, and reversing in to a post and bending the product really is not something that would or could be covered by a warranty of any kind.

There are a lot of loyal customers on bigjimny and all around the world who have the exact same product and who are very pleased with there purchase.

I'm afraid unless it is a manufacturing defect such as a failed weld then this would not be something that would be covered.

You cannot go reversing in to posts and expect free replacements for life on a £250 part.

ORA

• g187eev
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2011 19:09 - 05 Jun 2011 19:09 #17388 by g187eev
Replied by g187eev on topic Re: Real solid rear Bumpers.

facade wrote: If the bumper hadn't deformed, the chassis would have :ohmy:

You can't hit something solid at 5mph unless something deforms somewhere. The original plastic bumper is supposed to deform although a pole generally does them in.

Thank you, very valid points.

RB
ORA
Last edit: 05 Jun 2011 19:09 by g187eev.

• myers647
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2011 19:27 #17389 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic Re: Real solid rear Bumpers.
hi mate,

if you don't want your bent bumper il have it off you, rather than scrapping it. Im not bad with a hammer and welder, Im sure i could fix it if you've only hit a post at 5mph.

thanks let me know

More
05 Jun 2011 19:53 #17390 by Iain
Surely at only 5 mph you would expect nothing to brake or bend and the car to just stop dead??

More
05 Jun 2011 19:57 #17391 by Iain
This post is not slanderous (slanderous means untrue) the bumper bent a very low speed, and i am very anoyed about it.
it does not look like a weld has broken the bumper has just bent up, i will post some photos tomorow evening

• jimny5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2011 20:04 - 05 Jun 2011 20:06 #17392 by jimny5
Replied by jimny5 on topic Re: Real solid rear Bumpers.
I got ora bumper front and rear, i agree to some of what you say,
The rear bumper is for light impacts if you wanted a steel gurder then you should have reforced it and if you were not happy with the product you should have returned it when it was new. i knew what it would take
When i fitted it and have hit trees and walls serval times and still ok.
I believe 5 mph is wrong.
And the ora products are very good and would spend my 700 quid again without a doubt
Mike.
Also how much do you want for it seeing thou its scrap.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2011 20:06 by jimny5.

More
05 Jun 2011 20:06 #17393 by supergaz
I'm more than happy to buy any of the ORA products, the quality is extremely high. I'd be happy if my bumper was to deform therefore saving expensive chassis damage.
I've a rear KAP bumper that is attached to a 6 point cage outside, that I got on e'bay the other day, The bumper is WELL twisted, the weak point is where the lower light holes are, (between the chassis and roll cage). The bumper is of high quality and has deformed due to big impact
I will be cutting this off maybe next weekend as well as it being twisted, I need to adjust the cage to suit my 2'' bodylift.
The bumper will be heated up red hot and adjusted with a BIG hammer.
I've felt the weight and have drooled all over the ORA bumpers at TOR show and would be more than happy to have one fitted to my jimny. Sorry to the buyer who had my drool all over their nice new ORA bumper!.
When I do become rich or nearer christmas I will have a few ORA bits on my wish list.

More
05 Jun 2011 20:07 - 05 Jun 2011 20:16 #17394 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Real solid rear Bumpers.
Try walking into a brick wall at 5mph and see what happens if you stop dead.:laugh:
Try it again with a large cardboard box between you and the wall and see the difference.

To stop a tonne of car in zero distance requires infinite force. give it a few cm to stop whilst something bends and the forces start to come down to survivable levels. Rigid mounted bumpers are to knock grass and brushwood down, hit the crumple zone of another car, a nice squishy pedestrian or soft ground, not solid objects. :huh:

If you want to play bumper cars, there has to be some compliance in the mounting if there is none in the bumper.

The plastic bumpers are designed to stop the car at 5mph, without visible damage, provided you can spread the impact over a large area. A post will concentrate the impact and break the bumper.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 05 Jun 2011 20:16 by facade.

More
05 Jun 2011 20:16 #17395 by kirkynut
I've been off-roading and around the winch challenge scene for a few years now, although do not compete and I am an owner of the design of bumper mentioned.

I'd like to think I know a good product from a crap one when I see them and therefore feel qualified to comment on this.

When I considered buying an ORA rear bumper I called Rob first to enquire about it's construction. In my mind it was stronger than an original SJ rear bumper but not so strong it wouldn't get bent if I really smacked it but would be ok nudging a mud bank or such like.

If you reverse into a pole all the force is concentrated in one place and they are only a few mm thick so I would expect it to deform.

I don't think Rob Butler is being out of hand in this instance.

I'm not sure the chassis would be bent, although in real terms it's probably no thicker than the ORA bumper, but to expect the bumper not to bend up is unrealistic.

If I were you I would take it off and use some hammers and maybe heat to put it as close as possible back to how it should be and take it as a lesson learnt.

You may get another rear bumper of similar design fabricated as a one off for a similar price or less which may be designed to be stronger but not commercially.

I've bent my front winch bumper on less and that is a well made and fabricated bit of kit, made of much thicker box section. The ORA bumper is not even box, so you can't expect too much from it.

Sorry not to support your cause but I think you are being a little unfair to Rob and the ORA and a little unrealistic in your expectations on this occasion.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds