BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

hi all i'm new

• richard
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2009 14:16 #1717 by richard
hi all i'm new was created by richard
hello i'm new to this site, had a look around and it seems realy good. i go on yorkshire suzuki most of the time,
i'v got a 53plate jimny that fairly standard.

its got CB
2" LIFT BLOCKS ON SPRINGS
DVD PLAYER
A/T TYERS and i'v just cut the bumers today

if any1 can think of anymore cheap mods please let me know and i might have a go on mi car :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
28 Dec 2009 16:32 #1721 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Re:hi all i'm new
Hi and welcome Richard,
Unfortunatley theres not a huge amount of cheap mods that can be done to a jimny, best thing is to just enjoy it as it is. If you want to really make something of it then start saving. For a proper 2" lift kit you need: shocks and springs, castor bushes, longer brake lines at about £420 ish, for a 3" lift then ideally you need castor corrected radius arms (instead of the bushes) wich are currently a few hundred pounds. Once youve got a lift kit on you'll undoubtedly fit some huge tyres! best size is 205/16 on Grand Vitara wheels with spacers to stop them rubbing on the inner arches, tyres are fairly cheap at this size, other option is 31/10.5/15, ideally on some 7x15 wheels - get some second hand daihatsu fourtrack wheels from ebay.
Once you have all this you'll need to re-gear the car as 5th will be unusable, and low box wont be low anymore lol, you'll be changing your clutch too often. The solution to this is to fit an SJ transfer box converted to a rocklobster, about 20% lower in high range which puts the gearing right back to standard with big tyres, and a huge amount of difference in low box, proper rock crawling ratio's are available, i have 6:1 ratio and my car will do 20mph flat out in 5th gear low box lol, but it'll go up anything given the grip. Martins has a built 4:1 box which is probably a more suitable ratio for 30" or 31" tyres.
Theres loads of write ups on here in pdf format of how to do all sorts from arch trimming to fitting or making a rocklobster box. I'd enjoy the car as it is and start saving and collecting bits you may need in the future.

hope this helps

Gary

More
28 Dec 2009 19:39 #1723 by wildfire
Replied by wildfire on topic Re:hi all i'm new
Cheap "mods" on mime are Fire extinguisher in the pasenger foot well, and a safety hammer attached to the center console. Oh and cable ties to replace the clip which stops the side window of the soft top from flapping when on the motorway!

• richard
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Dec 2009 12:26 #1737 by richard
Replied by richard on topic Re:hi all i'm new
thanks for the help, i'll have to get saving. i realy need new shocks cos mine are on the limit naw.
then i want a propper snorkel :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds