BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2011 17:40 #16940 by Keefe

dirtydogz wrote: Yes us old people do like our JIMNYS( 67 year old ):angry:

Born in '53, were you? ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2011 17:55 - 25 May 2011 18:10 #16942 by dirtydogz
Silly old fool don't know how old l am must be the oldtimers :unsure: :blink:

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 25 May 2011 18:10 by dirtydogz.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2011 19:26 #16943 by Keefe
I've suffered with altimeters decrease for years.
Haven't I, Napoleon? ;)

More
25 May 2011 19:27 #16944 by Halford
Thanks for the heads-up on future Grabber AT2's availabilty - hadn't even considered that aspect.

I've been trailing the net - (I'm on a weeks hols & the missus is at work - good job too - not sure what she'd make of my new rubber fettish) ...
[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\gimp.jpg[/attachment]

I can confirm that the GG AT will gradually replace the AT2 over 2011 and 2012
The 205/75R15 should be available very soon (215/75R15 available now)

The new Grabber AT tread pattern has been introduced to comply with recent developments in European legislation regarding road noise see here:

Attachment replacement-tyre-noise-enforcement.pdf not found

Apparently only the new Grabber AT and the new BFG MT are compliant to the new rules which comes into effect Oct 2011, so it looks as though the Toyo and indeed all AT's will be changing or dissappearing altogether from the UK market.

Many Disco owners aren't able to get GG AT'2 anymore, but they can get the new GG AT's - Limitted feedback available, but Disco Owners reckon that they are better even though the tread looks less aggressive.

the new GG AT

Attachment GGAT.jpg not found

Attachment GGATclose.jpg not found

The marketing spiel for the new GG AT ...................

“The aim was to further improve the already very good off-road driving characteristics of the AT2 model, which is highly popular among 4x4 fans, and at the same time meet increased expectations in on-road use" said Pascal Resetta, General Tire’s product manager for 4x4 tyres. In terms of handling on dry roads, the new tyre is said to perform around three per cent better than its predecessor, whilst driving characteristics in the wet have been improved by up to ten per cent.

I'm trying to establish when the new GG ATs will be available in 205/75R15 and have just checked all my tyres - appears the previous owner only changed the front 2 tyres and put the old fronts on the rear and kept one of the original shot rears as the spare. The front tread = 7mm and rear tread = 3.5mm, so I think I'll sit on the fence fro a couple of months to see what happens - then kick myself when I can't get either the GG AT2 or Toyo OC A/T.

Will keep this thread updated ............. as I'm now quite into rubber. :woohoo:
Attachments:

More
26 May 2011 06:16 - 26 May 2011 09:28 #16949 by supergaz
I had years ago Bridgestone Dulers on my Grand Vitara as Suzuki seem to love them, I replaced them all soon after getting the car as they were deadly in the wet, I went for Khumos Ecsta and they make the back end behave far better, They are also wearing / lasting very well. They have also performed great in the snow.
Last edit: 26 May 2011 09:28 by supergaz.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2011 06:20 #16950 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: 215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift
I would swap your tyes over an put the deeper tread on the back - will prevent lift off oversteer that could happen with the worn tyres on the back and new on the front

• SPC5838
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2011 19:15 - 26 May 2011 19:23 #16968 by SPC5838
Replied by SPC5838 on topic Re: 215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift
Shame there's no feed back on vehicles that don't have electronic assistance comparable to the Eurofighter :No offence to any Disco owners ( new ones that is ), but with all the traction / stability / descent control on those things I wonder how much of it is really the tyres :huh: Hopefully I won't be needing new rubber for quite a while, but it would be good to know if they're any good on motors with out the computer gubbins keeping them out of trouble just in case ! I won't be doing trials in mine, but I just want to know I won't get stuck in a muddy field or in the snow either ;)

Poxy EU, tyre noise is the last thing I hear in my jimny; couldn't over all the other noises ! That'll probably be a flood of KM2 / new AT2 copy remoulds on the way as Insa / Malatesta and the rest try to comply and good by Special Tracs etc :woohoo: ? That also could explain why the price of some tyres have shot up and other's have disappered, like Hankook RT03; weren't that expensive from Camskill... now they don't seem to have any and they appeared on Tyresdirect more expensive than BFG's :dry:

Good luck keeping that rubber fetish from the missus Halford ;) !!!
Last edit: 26 May 2011 19:23 by SPC5838.

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2011 12:59 #16991 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: 215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift
I wouldn't be suprised to find manufacturers like BFG and General are going to be able to make tyres that are as good in mud as the originals and still meet EU road noise regulations. When you think about it, things like Special Tracks were probably thrown together out of what looked like it was going to work when they were first made and now with FEA and CAD as well as better production they can probably work on shapes to do just as good a job.

The other way to make it so you can still get them is just to make them say competition use all over them like they do with full slicks.

• Shagnasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2011 13:59 - 27 May 2011 14:02 #16992 by Shagnasty
Replied by Shagnasty on topic Re: 215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift

supergaz wrote: I had years ago Bridgestone Dulers on my Grand Vitara as Suzuki seem to love them, I replaced them all soon after getting the car as they were deadly in the wet...

Sorry to hijack the thread, just a slightly irrelevant observation. I had Bridgestone Trailwings on my Honda Transalp.

They were known as Deathwings by quite a few people as they were lethal in the wet.

Coincidence ? I think not ! :evil:
Last edit: 27 May 2011 14:02 by Shagnasty. Reason: spilling

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2011 15:02 #16993 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re: 215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift
I got told by my local tyre fitter that the AT2s had been replaced with a new tread (i posted here a few weeks about it) but ordered a pair from blackcircle on weds for them arrive today - orginal spec ones :-D made me very happy as it didnt want a random pair on the truck. Tomorrows job will be getting them fitted. Im tempted to order another pair and keep them in the garage as my own stock just in case

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2011 05:17 #17006 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: 215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift
:dry: I hate to have to break it to you, but there's 5 tyres on a Jimny, a pair won't go far :silly:

More
30 May 2011 18:23 #17115 by Halford
update re: the NEW General Grabbers AT 205/75R15

contacted MICHELDEVER (Generals UK distributors - are at least they were :whistle: ) "In this particular size they are still supplying the AT2’s, its not a common size so may not be made in the new AT pattern" :huh:

so contacted the German General .....:woohoo: they have informed me that we should expect to see the NEW General Grabbers AT 205/75R15 towards the end of july

Glad you're pleased with your AT2's Nelson83 - some are saying it's OK to mix the AT2 and the new AT (in pairs), but I don't think I'd want to do it myself, personally, I would grab another couple of AT2's while you've the chance

re: Blackcircles - contacted then last Wed "TOYO A/T tyres are out of stock with not due dates at the moment"

I could be reading too much into this, but to me it looks like The EU regs are starting to bite and availability drying up.

For anyone that may be interested, I've attached a pdf I've made explaining about the new EU tyre noise legislation - basically involves forcing all tyre mfrs to spend a fortune in compliance so they can stick labels on the tyres as they do with washing machines.

[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\Snap1.jpg[/attachment]

download pdf

Attachment tyrenoise.pdf not found

So I guess I'll get back to you all August and give some feedback of the tyres.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds