BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift

• SPC5838
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2011 19:36 - 24 May 2011 21:32 #16677 by SPC5838
Quite a few people have posted 215/75 15 on 7x15 wheels will fit without a lift.... they don't on a facelift so be warned if you have a 2006 onward and are planning on doing this.

Here's where the trouble started....

Attachment 024.jpg not found

They're from 4x4at. Can't recommend these guys enough. I ordered mine at 12.30 and they were delivered by 10am the next day. £35 odd each as well :)

Anyway, here's where it looked like there was a problem. Bear in mind it's still jacked up wheels free (just) and the suspension is at full drop :angry:

Attachment 003.jpg not found

A little bit later and after having got the hacksaw out, an arguement with the neighbour because "you're making the place look like a repair shop" several fags and a pile of removed / cut off parts like this later;

Attachment 004.jpg not found

I ended up with this...

Attachment 006.jpg not found

Anyway, the tyres are AT's so MT would be worse, but bottom line: you're not going to put 215/75 on modulars on a newer jimny unless the lift's done first or you're prepared to cut it up. As an aside, it also appears to be bollocks that you need to change the wheel nuts going from alloys to steels. Mines been on alloys since it left the factory and guess what, the factory wheel nuts worked and seated the steels just fine. I'd already got new nuts from Dave at bits4vits because I thought I'd need to change them so I used them as I had them, but it looks like they were just added expense. The factory nut's don't have a seperate collar on them like most alloy nuts so I'm unsure why people believe they have to be changed.

The tyres themselves are AT as 40 odd miles a day on motorway kind of ruled out full on MT's as did the price and I don't trust remoulds since one burst in my face fitting it, I've never had Toyo before but they're good on the road and since it's bucketing rain here now, they'll be in the mud tomorrow and update to come. If you're after some of these ( Open Countrys ) look at blackcircle.com, They've got them in 205/75 and 215/75 15 for £75 roughly on each size. So far I reckon they're a bargain but I'll see how they do in the dirt.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 May 2011 21:32 by SPC5838.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2011 23:04 #16688 by Keefe
Starting to look well now.

Alloy wheel nuts to steel is ok.
Steel wheel nuts to alloys is not ok. Trust me, been there done that, lost a wheel!

Neighbours are all the same eh? Yours says repair shop, mine says shanty town.
Whatever, my property etc...... :-)

More
22 May 2011 07:21 #16698 by supergaz
My neighbours all moan at me, They dont like my big works van and believe it should not be on a residential street, and the fact I chose this house for the long drive and big garage so I could fill it with man treasure. Maybe the fact I have 2 x 4x4's, Her car, caravan, trailer, works van all out there but nearly all of it out of sight from the street. Maybe we should all just have 1 little car like those retired window twitchers that moan.

• herdwick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2011 10:52 #16719 by herdwick
Replied by herdwick on topic Re: 215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift

Keefe wrote: Neighbours are all the same eh? Yours says repair shop, mine says shanty town.
Whatever, my property etc...... :-)

Who needs neighbours opinions, my troubles start inside the house! "Lowering the tone of the neighbourhood" was my wifes comment when we turned into the end of the street & saw the Jimny on axle stands with the front wheels & shockies removed.

More
22 May 2011 11:08 #16721 by Halford
As a new Jimny convert (2007 standard model), I've stock 205/70R50 HT694 bridgestone dueller's fitted, whilst fine on dry tarmac, I'm trying to decide between Toyo Open Country A/T's or General Grabber AT2's.

Many thanks for your feedback Donald as I too from all the forum posts had decided on 215/75's, I'd have been gutted at having to chop the bumper (will save that for a few years down the road).

have checked out sizes

205/70/15 orginals diameter = 26.3" / 668mm
215/70/15 diameter = 26.85" / 682mm = 2.1% / 14mm more (can't find any AT's)
205/75/15 diameter = 27.1" / 688mm = 3% / 20mm more
215/75/15 diameter = 27.7" / 704mm = 5.4% / 36mm more

It appears the max recommended increase in dia is 3%

so it looks like the choice is limitted to 205/75R15, now have to choose between Grabbers and Toyo's - would you be able to pop over to Aviemore next week and let me have some feedback on the Toyo's snow perfomance :laugh:

Thanks again for the info.

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2011 14:09 #16727 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: 215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift
It's annoying how few manufacturers actually make the right size tyre for Jimny's in something half decent for off road considering the 100s of posts all over the place asking for them! :dry:

More
22 May 2011 16:33 #16743 by mcjimny
If you can still get AT2's i would grab them and 205/75 should be ok as the section is 75% of 205 as opposed to the 215's.
I've been running the AT2's for over 2 1/2 years now and they have been brilliant on and off road except for the deepest mud. They are the more aggressive tread of the all terrains available and the new tread pattern looks good but i can't say what its like in terms of performance.

On and offset rim of with spacers to fill the arches a bit more they should look great on there.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• SPC5838
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2011 18:37 - 24 May 2011 18:40 #16910 by SPC5838
Replied by SPC5838 on topic Re: 215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift
No bother Halford ;) I was planning on cutting mine at some point like I say, mainly because I realised its bumper was only a couple of inches higher than an average hatchback's and it did a pretty good impression of a snow plough last winter :( Thought it was off a few times :blink:

To be honest you wouldn't have to cut it quite as much as I did, It would have been enough just to cut the arch, a bit like this but remember this one is lifted so you'd need to go a bit higher on the arch-

Attachment DSC06926Medium.jpg not found

If you didn't want to cut it all there's always the KAP front panel, just take the bumper off and replace it :cheer: Funnily enough I'm heading to Inverness at the weekend, probably the only time of year there isn't snow on Drumochter :laugh:

There seems to be plenty of AT2's about in 205/75 when I was looking, price varied a bit, but they were all the old pattern; apparently the new one isn't available in that size yet. They were top end money in 215/75 for the new ones every where I looked and the old ones are long gone, so I went for the Toyo and got 5 for the price of 4 of the Grabber :) I guess it's just a case of what works for you; the Toyo works (so far) on the road and it's dealt with everything the last few days without issues, in what was close to a hurricane with driving rain / standing water. In the mud at the weekend it was fine too, wasn't up to the axles but plenty of it and they pulled through no problems.

I think the only decent non-remould MT in 205/70 is the Maxxis Trepador but the price of them seems to have gone up by £30 odd each in one go on tyresdirect :sick:

As for the neighbour, you want to have seen his face when 70+ MPH winds dumped all sorts of crap all over the place... :laugh: Seems everyone has similar problems, not going to stop me working on the car in the drive ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 May 2011 18:40 by SPC5838.

More
24 May 2011 20:37 #16916 by Halford
Cheers Donald, thanks for info

Existing Grabber AT2

Attachment grabberat22006.jpg not found

Toyo Open Country AT

Attachment toyo_Open_Country_AT.jpg not found

Is this the New Grabber AT - that you were looking at ? limited sizes - not 205/75

Attachment grabberat2010.jpg not found

Both Toyo's and AT2's are available at my local TyreSpot - AT2's only £4 more than the Toyo's

Decision Time I guess :unsure:
Attachments:

• SPC5838
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2011 21:30 - 24 May 2011 21:49 #16919 by SPC5838
Replied by SPC5838 on topic Re: 215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift
Yeah that's the new one, they're on "phased introduction" apparently and looks like the bigger and chelsea tractor sizes are being sorted out first :laugh: One of my mates did comment it looks like it should be on a Range Rover Sport or similar that never sees dirt and not off road when he saw them, guess time will tell if they're any good. Hardly anyone's said anything bad about the old pattern though and plenty folks like mcjimny swear by them as you'll know :)

The pics of the Toyo on websites don't really do it justice, the tread is a good bit deeper than it looks, I'll try and get a decent photo, but they do look a little narrow in tread width unfitted. My 215's didn't look any wider than a 205 except in the side wall until they were on rims. The only other thing that persuaded me to go with the bigger Toyo was I couldn't get a straight answer from dealers how long 205/75 will be around in the old AT2. Last thing I wanted to do was risk wrecking one then discover the stock had dried up.

Which ever you go for you won't be disappointed, getting the bridgestones off is the best thing I've done. God knows why Suzuki has fitted them all these years. Happy shopping ;)
Last edit: 24 May 2011 21:49 by SPC5838.

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2011 05:04 #16920 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: 215/75 on 7x15 don't fit mk2 with no lift

SPC5838 wrote: Which ever you go for you won't be disappointed, getting the bridgestones off is the best thing I've done. God knows why Suzuki has fitted them all these years. Happy shopping ;)

Probably they fitted them because 90% of Jimnys are bought by women or old people for other reasons than off roading.

With all this considered, I think I'm still going to chance it with the Maxxis 753 Bravo in 205/75 and see what happens. If it doesn't fit I'll shout a swear word very loudly and take my Jimny to a local body shop to see if I can get the bumper cut more neatly than I can manage (as in so it looks like it was meant to be that way).

More
25 May 2011 17:12 - 19 Jun 2013 20:33 #16939 by dirtydogz
Yes us old people do like our JIMNYS( 57 year old ):angry:

Move over young man :laugh:

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Jun 2013 20:33 by dirtydogz.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds