BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Hand Winch - Thoughts?

• Andy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2011 07:32 #15296 by Andy
Hand Winch - Thoughts? was created by Andy
I don't do enough regular offroading to justify spending a lot on getting a proper winch system :(

So whats everyones thoughts on this type of system as an occasional backup just incase the shi....mud hits the fan, i mean...diffs :whistle:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-TON-HEAVY-DUTY-HAND-PUL...ce326#ht_3069wt_1002

Ok - very dubious about the price, but still...with this 'type' of system?

Or does anyone have any other suitable alternatives? Obtaining/fabricating a land anchor isn't a problem, its just the winch that alludes me :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2011 07:42 #15297 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Hand Winch - Thoughts?
i would not bother with one of them if you wanted to get a hand winch you need something like a turfor but there just as expensive as a electric winch to buy new

More
21 Apr 2011 07:47 #15298 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Re: Hand Winch - Thoughts?
That looks a little 'lightweight' and dont forget you'll need something to pull it

If you're not getting an electric winch - then maybe you should be looking at a Tirfor.

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
21 Apr 2011 07:54 #15299 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: Hand Winch - Thoughts?
As everyone says, it looks a little lightweight. You would also have to consider how often during a "pull" it would have to be reset ie. re-feed the cable and re-attach.

Having said that you can always use it with a little forethought. For example by doubling up the cable run you can double the pulling power (but halving the speed of the pull). Sometimes by just using these to put a bit of tension/pull on the front of the car it can help with driving out of the problem.

Also remember that going backwards is often the best way out of trouble. Going forward means you are getting further into the mire, going backward you are going over ground that was driveable until the moment you got stuck.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Andy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2011 08:04 #15300 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic Re: Hand Winch - Thoughts?
that was the sort of application I was thinking about - enough to ease you back far enough to get the traction back. *touch wood* I've never been stuck with the Malatesta Kaiman's fitted. :whistle:

utilising the mechanical advantage is always an option like you say, and i guess at that price its not a lot to have to leave in the garage for a rainy day should it all go belly up and prove to be too light.

• Andy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2011 08:05 #15301 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic Re: Hand Winch - Thoughts?
just out of interest - how much, realistically, are you talking for a winch, bumper, battery etc?

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2011 08:37 #15303 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Hand Winch - Thoughts?
I've got one of these...
www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/jrh1-wire-rope-hoist

Though to be honest I haven't even tried it let alone used it in anger. Seems pretty chunky though and is a lot cheaper than a Tirfor or an electric winch...

More
21 Apr 2011 08:48 #15305 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Hand Winch - Thoughts?
There is one of those winches hanging up in my garage.

Works well enough, I've lifted a few engines out with it, and used it to haul my mate's car up his sloping drive and into his garage.

It will only pull about 3 feet, so you need 500 yards of chain, various shackles etc. to attach it to something, then by the time you have taken up the strain, there is only 2 feet of pull left (that is why you need chain, rope stretches).

Frankly, you are better off with a towrope, and another car behind that isn't stuck to pull you out backwards.

The best hand winches are tifors, as said earlier.,

You can use a hilift jack to pull, but these suffer from similar problems with the rope stretching, and weigh a lot.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2011 13:10 #15312 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Hand Winch - Thoughts?

Andy wrote: just out of interest - how much, realistically, are you talking for a winch, bumper, battery etc?

to go buy new its going to cost £300 for a winch bumper & at least £300 for a reasonable winch then the price of a second battery if you wanted to fit one & some cable to wire up the battery

so i would say around £700 ish

More
21 Apr 2011 15:18 #15319 by Johnniehec
I would say the Tirfor stylie jobbie would be best for the reason mentioned above, the three foot pull. That said we carried out an experiment last year and winched my Jim into a bog (to catch a punch in an orienteering event) with a lorry ratchet strap!! I think it was about three inches at a time!! before we had to re thread to take up the slack. We did it just to prove it could be done!!

Attachment Photo0157.jpg not found

It was much quicker on the way back out on the end of a winchrope on a Defender.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds