BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2011 21:12 #14356 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?
I found the KL71's to be a little soft in the sidewall department when playing on slate type ground.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2011 13:36 - 02 Apr 2011 13:37 #14363 by ooky_123
I personally Love the diamond backs. The tread is nice and deep, plus they dig nice and deep to gain traction. They really throw the earth / grass / mud out too when you drive, so their cleaning abilities are brilliant.
My only issue is with the quality of the ones I have fitted ... Ive been tearing off treadblocks for a while now, and have aprox 9 missing from each corner .. which has a big impact on the wheel wobble problems experienced in the past as the wheels are now out of balance.
If the quality were better on ours, then, for the price, you cannot go wrong. However, these are remoulds and not new tyres ... so you pays your money, you takes the chance ...

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland
Last edit: 02 Apr 2011 13:37 by ooky_123.

• a18suf
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2011 15:21 #14365 by a18suf
Replied by a18suf on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?
i have coopers on mine and i find them brilliant. really good in snow and mud and quiet on the road. they are quite expensive compared to some others but i think its money well spent :)

More
02 Apr 2011 16:24 #14366 by kirkynut
I have used this website as a yardstick price wise and what's available wise for some time:

www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/xcart/category_4x4.php

and then decided and bought a set of tyres from them. Ordered before 12 on one working day and the man was banging on my door with them at 07:30 the next morning.

If getting them from somewhere like this, phone your order through so you can check they have enough in stock first and if they don't, don't order till they have. Otherwise if their supplier lets them down, they let you down but you've paid your money!

This company does just about all of the brands too.

Mine were Malatesta Kaimans in 215/80/15 which come up at 28 +1/4 inches tall and I needed to extend my rear bump stops with a 3" lift.

Note the price of Malatesta Trac's and they look like Diamond Backs in the pictures. They seem to do them in alot of sizes too.

I've not used my Malastestas other than to run about town on them as I only got my bump stops extended today so I can't give a proper opinion on them yet but from the research I did they are supposed to be good.

They are remoulds though and they did need alot of balance weights. They are extreme though and this might just be par for the course.

Hope this helps.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2011 06:31 #14383 by srcars
Replied by srcars on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?
Any pics and tips of your extended bumpstops please ;)

• Gromit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2011 06:56 #14384 by Gromit
Replied by Gromit on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?
Am I the only person that likes Maxxis Buckshot Mudders? , quiet on the road and very capable in the mud, I'm well impressed with them and very little wear over 11 months.

More
03 Apr 2011 14:43 #14417 by kirkynut

srcars wrote: Any pics and tips of your extended bumpstops please ;)

See my update on my Jimny in the My Jimny section mate.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
03 Apr 2011 14:58 #14418 by kirkynut

Gromit wrote: Am I the only person that likes Maxxis Buckshot Mudders? , quiet on the road and very capable in the mud, I'm well impressed with them and very little wear over 11 months.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them mate but they wouldn't be my first choice. I think they are a bit of an inbewteen mud terrains and extreme tyres. So in this respect they may suit the bill.

I know someone who competes in winch challenges on similar tyres to these and he recently sat as a passenger in someone elses similar truck which is on ITST and commented that he didn't think his truck could get up the slope they got up.

They are not available in a lot of sizes either though.

So I don't think there is anything wrong with them or any reason to dislike them, but they are not for me.

I've now got my KL71's if I need to do long distances on the road and then greenlaning when I get there and my extreme Malatesta Kaimans for local hardcore mudplugging. Both do what I want them to do quite well but neither do the opposite requirement quite well.

Your tyres might do both reasonably well and therefore save the swapping over and cost?

They're just not my cup of tea and I suppose it's once again taken me a long time to get to my point!

Kirkynut

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2011 15:21 #14603 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?

Gromit wrote: Am I the only person that likes Maxxis Buckshot Mudders? , quiet on the road and very capable in the mud, I'm well impressed with them and very little wear over 11 months.

I ended up getting a full set of 235/75 R15 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders. Not driven off road with them yet but they seem very quiet on the road for mud tyres!

I now have a similar set up to you (Gromit) and wondered if you had to chop the arches on the Jimny? Its just I'm hoping to get to Tong at the weekend and I dont fancy damaging the tyres or the arches!:(

Chris

• Gromit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2011 16:26 #14608 by Gromit
Replied by Gromit on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?
Yes mate, you will need to cut away the front arches quite a bit or they will catch badly. Rear ones are ok and don't need cutting.

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2011 17:02 #14613 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?

Gromit wrote: Yes mate, you will need to cut away the front arches quite a bit or they will catch badly. Rear ones are ok and don't need cutting.

Cheers mate. Have you got any tips for getting the plastic outer wheel arches off? I dont want to damage the clips!:)
Anyway here are a couple of pics of the Jimny now.

Attachment IMG00076-20110406-1931.jpg not found

Attachment IMG00077-20110406-1931.jpg not found

Chris
Attachments:

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2011 06:12 #14654 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?
Good tyres for the money them ;-)

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds