BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Mar 2011 19:48 #14327 by Bigchridy
I'm in I dilemma! What tyres? was created by Bigchridy
Well I finally sold the disco so I'm taking the jimny to work tomorrow for its MOT!:)

Anyway I'm hoping to get up to Tong on the 10th for their Pay and Play day but I need some mud tyres asap. I'm going to go for a 235/75 R15 but I'm not sure what to get or where from. I was after cooper stt's like I had on the disco but they seem to be silly money at the mo.

Does anyone have any ideas? I will consider anything but need them fairly quick. If not then I guess I will have to go for coopers.

Also with that size will I get away with 7x15 wheels or will I need 8x15?

Thanks

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2011 05:40 #14329 by srcars
Replied by srcars on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?
7" or 8" rims according to this www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/xcart/product.ph...16231&cat=254&page=1

I have 2 sets of these and find them very grippy on the lanes we do and more than acceptable on the road

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2011 06:01 - 01 Apr 2011 06:02 #14330 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?
Kuhmo KL71 are supposed to be great on road, and good in mud and on rocks and wear well and are an original tyre not a remoulds
Get good reviews on line - do well compared to premuim tyres such as BFGs and Coopers etc
Also they are very reasonably priced
Last edit: 01 Apr 2011 06:02 by darthloachie.

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2011 06:34 - 01 Apr 2011 06:37 #14332 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?
i've got kumho kl71s, great tyre. they have been to croatia and back and have little wear. i've not had any trouble with them. if i have to say anything about them its that they dont look mean enough lol. i expect to go for a set of 31" recip trials next time just to mix things up.

i had a set of greenway machos on the SJ, dont think they are around anymore but the tread is almost the same as the recip trials. if your not sure i would suggest recip trials, but it realy depends on how much cash you have to spend.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2011 06:37 by viciouspenguin.

More
01 Apr 2011 11:19 #14334 by ooky_123
I know its horses for courses, and I only base my comments on previous experience, but I donot rate KL71's in the kind of mud we drive though.
They cakeup too easily when exposed to chalk and clay on Salisbury plain. They are however great for on road and what I would call "Black" mud ..

Were making a change to Special Tracks in a few weeks ... (as soon as the rock lobster is supplied and fitted) to see if they are really better than the diamondbacks we currently run.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• gazert
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2011 12:15 #14335 by gazert
Replied by gazert on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?

ooky_123 wrote: I know its horses for courses, and I only base my comments on previous experience, but I donot rate KL71's in the kind of mud we drive though.
They cakeup too easily when exposed to chalk and clay on Salisbury plain. They are however great for on road and what I would call "Black" mud ..

Were making a change to Special Tracks in a few weeks ... (as soon as the rock lobster is supplied and fitted) to see if they are really better than the diamondbacks we currently run.

Ookey I had kl71's,
I have been offered a set of diamond claws which I think are the same as diamond backs, what are they like?

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2011 12:43 #14336 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?

gazert wrote: KL71 15" tyres.

i spotted this in your signature, is that your R/C car that has 15" tyres? :)

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2011 15:13 - 01 Apr 2011 15:14 #14340 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?
Cheers guys.

I have looked at the KL71's but they look like they are rotational, which is fine but what would I use as a spare?

I was also looking at the recip trials as my mate has some on his landy but I'm not sure whether to go back to retreads as they seem to wear a lot quicker. And again what would I do about a spare?

Choices choices!!:(

Chris
Last edit: 01 Apr 2011 15:14 by Bigchridy.

• renard38
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2011 15:25 #14341 by renard38
Replied by renard38 on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?
hi,
i have 235-75-15 BF mud KM2 for everyday ( for going to my job...on road ) and for off road the week end: very good tyres, no noise on road.
I have original suzuki wheels with size 5,5 x 15 and it's ok, no problems ;)

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

A+

More
01 Apr 2011 16:06 #14342 by MigCooper
Hi

I am on 215/75 R15 and no problems, I have General Grabber AT2. The big problem with these tyres is on Mud, :( they fill up very fast and become slicks with no grip at all. On road and dry off roading they are very good and also last a long time... done 10000 miles and they are still perfect almost new . ;)
In the mud, being A/T couldn't expect much more I suppose. ..

Do you expect to do much off-roading ??

3" Spring Lift + 1" Spacers / ES300 Shockers / TJM Snorkel / Extended Brake Lines / Castor Correction Bushes / Adjustable Panhard Rods / 30" Kaiman / 4.16 Redacted lobster / No Anti Roll Bar / Rock Sliders (Home made) / Diff Guards from ORA / 32mm Spacers /...

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2011 19:24 #14349 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: I'm in I dilemma! What tyres?

MigCooper wrote: Hi

I am on 215/75 R15 and no problems, I have General Grabber AT2. The big problem with these tyres is on Mud, :( they fill up very fast and become slicks with no grip at all. On road and dry off roading they are very good and also last a long time... done 10000 miles and they are still perfect almost new . ;)
In the mud, being A/T couldn't expect much more I suppose. ..

Do you expect to do much off-roading ??

Yeah I'll be doing a fair bit of off roading as Tong is only 20 mins away!! Used to go to every pay and play day in the disco! I also do a bit of laning when I get chance! Hopeing to do some at the back end of the month as I'm off to the Lakes.

Chris

More
01 Apr 2011 20:25 #14354 by kirkynut
I have run KL71's for a few years and they are OK in mud but I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are good.

If you are going to Tong regularly, get something more aggressive, how aggressive is up to you but KL71's are not as good as Coopers in mud and they are not as good as special tracks.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds