BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

loud screeching noise again

• george
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2011 14:33 #14118 by george
loud screeching noise again was created by george
up to date report,removed prop and with 4wd engaged drove noise free so i think i can rule out the transfer box ,so it looks like it is front axle i think.this incidentaly was with the front hubs disengaged.when the hubs were re-engaged noise was back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2011 15:08 #14120 by mcjimny
Have you dropped the diff oil? Be worth doing to see if anything comes out in the oil or may be stuck to the plug.

Is it a constant noise or only when the cars under load or when its freewheeling off the throttle?

Mine makes a load of noise like a grumbling from the front diff but not loud screeching. If you can, get someone to film it so that we've got a better idea.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
28 Mar 2011 18:19 #14201 by kirkynut
From what you have said there then it sounds like the front diff causing the issue but it would be the same situation of it not making the noise if the the hubs are disengaged if the prop was on or off as it wouldn't turn then either.

So did it do it with the front prop on and the hubs disengaged?

I would also have a look at the state of the front diff oil and see if you have any bits of bearing in it or a large amount of filings on the drain plug.

Make sure you can undo the filler plug first before you undo the drain plug or you'll be buggered!

If it won't turn with a 3/4" ratchet in it don't round the inside out of it - grip the outside of the plug hard in a large set of mole grips and tap it round.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds